Re: Uniform Questions

  • LJP
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007
      At 12:57 PM 9/9/2007, Mark Penn wrote:

      1. Options - We have at least one or two women who absolutely hate the
      thought of dresses, even more so of formal dresses. One of them is willing
      to wear a tux, but I'm not sure we like that option either - strikes me as
      too distracting. Does any group have a third option available to their
      singers - something that appears somewhat formal but does not necessarily
      fall into the same definition as a ladies' "dress"?
      ----------------
      Perhaps they could wear a long pant. Something loose and sort of
      flowing, like a long gaucho pant. Fabric should be polyester, rayon,
      or silk, something that drapes nicely.

      In my daughter's group each member pays for their own concert
      wear. For black items, we have found that Good Will has the best
      selection year round.

      Sincerely,
      Mrs. P.
    • Scott Adler
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
        This is a really tough one!

        I think as a group you have to decide how much you are going for
        _uniform_. Are you requiring everyone to exactly match, or are you
        looking to set up guidelines?

        A lot depends on your group and the personalities. I've been in groups
        where we all wore tuxes/dresses and they were specific - exact style
        and colors.

        I've seen many groups pull off a black/white/gray look where everyone
        can pick things that flatter them. Like a wedding party - it is very
        difficult to find one dress that fits all body types. If you go with
        guidelines, you may have better luck, but you do need to make sure
        that you have specific issues ironed out in advance - what is
        acceptable, how you decide, etc. For men you have to decide if you are
        going to allow tails vs regular. Bowties vs regual ties. Vests, etc.

        If you go for the second option, you are also asking people to put in
        a little more time in finding something, but also allows people to use
        something that they may already have.

        2. Tuxes:

        Check the rental companies, they typically will have good deals on
        tuxedos for sale.

        3. Cost

        The biggest issue here is turnover and ownership. If the group pays
        for all the outfits, does the group own them? What happens when
        someone leaves, or you add new members? Getting this in writing helps
        everyone out so that there are no hard feelings when someone leaves or
        is added.

        Personally if you are doing a full fledged uniform look, I think the
        group should cover most if not all of it. That way you can have the
        expectation that these items are going to be only used for concert
        wear, and always be in good shape.

        If you are doing a style/look I'd suggest doing a group stipend for
        people to use as they see fit. Enough to cover a sensible option that
        you've all decided on, but if you happen to use something from your
        own wardrobe you can use the money on something else.

        -Scott

        On Sep 9, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Mark Penn wrote:

        > Hello Group: Our little ensemble, Cantiamo Sonoma, is going to the
        > next
        > level in terms of uniforms. We have decided to formalize the look
        > and go
        > with tuxes and floor-length dresses. But, of course, there are not
        > many
        > subjects that throw a group into turmoil more than what to wear.
        > I'd like
        > to get a few ideas from this group, rather than re-invent the wheel
        > here.
        > Any thoughts and/or experience you have on the following questions
        > will be
        > greatly appreciated:
        >
        > 1. Options - We have at least one or two women who absolutely hate
        > the
        > thought of dresses, even more so of formal dresses. One of them is
        > willing
        > to wear a tux, but I'm not sure we like that option either - strikes
        > me as
        > too distracting. Does any group have a third option available to
        > their
        > singers - something that appears somewhat formal but does not
        > necessarily
        > fall into the same definition as a ladies' "dress"?
        >
        > 2. Tuxes - I've found several possibilities, but does anyone have
        > experience (good or bad) with a particular company?
        >
        > 3. Cost - In your groups, who pays for what?
        >

        > Anything else anyone wants to share would be most welcome.
        >

        > Thanks.

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
          In several fo the groups I have directed, there have been women
          (sometimes of the lesbian persuasian) who do do not wish to wear
          dresses. This can be a difficult and sensitive subject, and must be
          handled with care. As a director, I always had an idea in mind, or
          maybe one or two, and then, as the group discussesd the issue, I was
          quick to agree with the idea that conformed most closely to my
          original concept! That being said, I think you have to think of what
          would appeal (or be the least noticable) to the audience. If the rest
          of the women were in black skirts, one woman wearing the same blouse
          but black pants would problably not stand out too much.

          There are many on-line vendors selling tuxes, some for $100 or under.
          What we had with one chamber choir I directed was black pants for the
          men, and black coats. It so happened that everyone had a tux coat. We
          added gold bowties and gold cumberbunds. For the ladies, white
          blouses and straight black skirts, with a gold sash belt which
          matched the cumberbunds. One of the choir ladies sewed them. I let
          the ladies decide the skirt stlye amongst themselves. One pointer,
          though. Be sure all the skirts are the same height off the floor
          (measured with the shoes they will wwear to the performance). I also
          required a fukll dress rehearsla 1 week before the concert. This
          helped to insure that everone would have their uniform correct and
          complete at the concert (Note: Always cary a few spare accessories
          yourself!).

          As far as cost, if your group has a positive cash flow (which I never
          had!) then each member paid for their own. We tried to keep it to
          things everyone would have in their closet. A white shirt or blouse,
          even a tux coat sometimes, can be picked up from a thrift store, and
          will look fine on stage. I believe the mens' bow ties and cuberbunds
          were $15-20 and the girls sashes were $5 in material cost.

          Good luck!