Chora Nova performance May 18th

  • Asher Davison
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2007
      [posting on behalf of friends--but I've enjoyed their first two
      programs this year!]

      Chora Nova - Celebrating Peace

      Don't miss the exciting conclusion to Chora Nova's inaugural season,
      under the artistic direction of Paul Flight.

      Celebrating Peace – Music to celebrate the end of war

      G.F. Handel's Utrecht Te Deum, HWV 278, and Utrecht Jubilate, HWV 279
      W.A. Mozart's Solemn Vespers, K. 339

      8 p.m. Saturday, May 19, 2007
      First Congregational Church of Berkeley
      Dana and Durant
      www.choranova.org

      Celebrating Peace presents the incomparable work of G.F. Handel, whose
      1714 Utrecht Te Deum and Utrecht Jubilate celebrate the end of war.
      First performed at the thanksgiving for the Peace of Utrecht after ten
      years of conflict between European states, these rarely performed
      works represent Handel's joyous celebration of peace for chorus,
      orchestra and soloists.

      W.A. Mozart's Solemn Vespers, Op. 339, are anything but solemn. The
      music captures the exuberant spirit of the 24-year-old Mozart. The
      Solemn Vespers includes one of most well-known and lyrical soprano
      solos, Laudete Dominum.

      Soloists include Stefanie Moore, Bridget O'Keeffe, Ruthann Lovetang,
      Clifton Massey, Ed Betts and John Burton.

      There will be one performance only at 8 pm on Saturday, May 19, at
      First Congregational Church, Dana & Durant, Berkeley.

      Tickets are $15/ $10 (student) at the door or online. We'd love to see
      you there.