How to audition for rhythmic ability?

  • larry
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2007
      hi,

      Is there a tried-and-true way to briefly audition for swing and funk
      rhythmic ability?

      The helpful article about auditioning by Richard 'Bob' Greene
      http://casa.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=5
      mentions an improvisation over a groove, but we don't want to put
      emphasis on improvisation at our auditions.

      Instead, it would be great to have a couple short exercises that would
      be appropriate for a non-professional. The ideal exercises would show
      that the singer could swing, and could find the pocket of a funky beat.

      What do you think?

      thanks,

      Larry Hamel
      http://Smorgaschord.com

      p.s., announcement for a tenor opening coming up...
    • larry
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2007
        Following up on an earlier post: we got 3 private replies from very
        talented singer/directors.

        Some of their recommendations to audition for rhythmic ability:

        * sing with metronome
        * ask for a solo number that has a back-beat
        * do rhythmic repetition: demo two bars, they repeat the phrase
        * teach a small rhythmic part in a piece we know, sing together, see
        how well the singer can sit in pocket.

        Also we got a tip to make the audition kinder and gentler: record it
        so that during the audition we can all sing and support without
        focusing on listening, and afterward we can listen with focus.

        We hope to try out some of this at our first audition for a tenor for
        Smorgaschord shortly.

        Thanks for the tips! Please post any other suggestions, or send them
        privately.

        Larry Hamel
        http://Smorgaschord.com

        p.s. Tell your tenor friends that Smorgaschord would like to hear from
        them!
        http://smorgaschord.com/images/art/TenorWantedForSmorgaschord.png