Lipmania, more info

  • Elaine Chao
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 1999
      Hi, all - sorry for the brief message earlier. I received a couple of
      queries as to what LIPMANIA was. It was a vocal percussion
      competition, featuring five vocal percussionists from the US - Paul
      Sperrazza from Toxic Audio (Florida), Maurice Harris from Fourth
      Avenue (Ohio), Samrat Chakrabarti from the Hyannis Sound
      (Massachusetts), Jeff Sewell from Six Day Week (Maine), and me
      (California). The winner was Samrat (yay!), but the whole event was
      covered like crazy.

      As a part of the competition, the five contestants had to back an
      female quartet, Imani, and a local rapper, Josh Metcalf. They then
      had a 3-5 minute vocal percussion solo. The judges were Dave
      Stackhouse (Five O'Clock Shadow), Jeff Thacher (Rockappella), and Bob
      Stoloff (Berklee College of Music).

      It was also the most heavily produced a cappella event (the second
      half was pseudo a cappella - Five O'CloCk Shadow showed off their new
      'look' and collaborated with a pop band, Honey and the Bees, on a
      couple of songs) that I've attended or performed in. It was at the
      Somerville Theater just outside of Cambridge, and had these wild
      background lights. (It was also the first time I'd ever performed in
      a movie theater - I'm not kidding. They were playing the Matrix
      downstairs.) Phat sound system.

      Hope that answered some questions. Lipmania was the launch of Hot
      Lips Records, Don Gooding's new a cappella record label.

      -Elaine