please help with names of a capp venues in your area

  • Michael Olivier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 1999
      Bay Area A Cappella Community --

      I sent out a request a little while back for help putting together a
      list of venues and resources to help a cappella groups
      (esp. out-of-towner's). I got an *underwhelming* response (3 people).
      Come on, folks! I need your help to put this together.

      Don't assume someone else will respond -- they haven't. Please take a
      minute and email me back with a cappella venues you know of (near you
      or that you've been to). Everybody helping a little will add up to a
      fantastic resource for local a cappella performances!

      -- good street corners/public areas for impromptu shows
      -- clubs, coffee houses
      -- street fairs

      A BEGINNING

      Here's the start of the document I'm pulling together with your help.
      Thanks to those who have already contributed.

      ------

      San Francisco

      Farleys Coffee house: Vocal-friendly open mic night on the third
      Wednesday of every month. Advanced signups, but there's usually room
      for walk-ins if you come early. 8-10 PM. It's a great crowd, and is a
      good place to make connections, even for reasonably well-established
      groups. http://www.frankes.com/openmic.htm

      Streetcorner Singing --

      SOUTH BAY

      San Jose

      Espresso Garden: great open mic and gigging venue.

      Streetcorner Singing --

      Palo Alto

      Streetcorner Singing -- Lytton Plaza, outside of Burger King, is a
      good spot to draw a small crowd, esp. in the summer. Weekend nights
      typically see a lot of foot traffic, and being near Stanford the crowd
      is young and lively.

      EAST BAY

      Berkeley

      Freight & Salvage Folk Coffee house, very nice venue, maybe ~400
      seats. Variety of music, including folks, bluegrass. Major local a
      cappella groups perform there on a regular basis.

      Streetcorner Singing -- UC Berkeleys Sproul Plaza is a great place
      for an impromptu set. At Bancroft and Telegraph.

      NORTH BAY

      SANTA CRUZ AND SOUTH

      Santa Cruz

      Kuumbwa Jazz Center: not cheap and often must be booked well in
      advance, but it's a great spot with a good sound system.

      Streetcorner Singing --

      >Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:17:48 -0700
      >To: ba-acappella@...
      >From: Michael Olivier <michaelo@...>
      >Subject: Know any good places for out-of-town groups to sing?
      >
      >Hey singers and fans! ("Hey Michael!")
      >
      >As a result of a continuous trickle of requests, I want to expand the
      >ba-acapp web site to include resources to help out-of-town a cappella
      >groups get connected during visits to the bay area.
      >
      >I need your help to compile a list of resources for these folks -- would
      >you take a minute to help brainstorm a great list of helpful information?
      >And if you can't think of any suggestion to make, maybe it's time to shut
      >off the computer and go hear some music! :)
      >
      >Please keep responses succinct and in "list" format as much as possible.
      >
      >PLACES FRIENDLY TO A CAPPELLA?
      >
      >(Where possible please provide names and/or phone numbers.)
      >
      >* bars
      >* clubs
      >* coffee houses
      >* street fairs & events (preferably pointers to web sites that summarize
      these)
      >* universities
      >* especially friendly street corners, parks, or other public places good
      >for an impromptu show
      >
      >OTHER WAYS TO FIND SINGING OPPORTUNITIES?
      >
      >What other ways can out of town groups get hooked up? Know a good, vocal
      >friendly booking agent? Event planner? Other idea? Send it in!
      >
      >Thanks in advance for your help.

    • Phil DeBar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 1999
        Michael,
        This is a great idea and I apologize for missing your initial post.
        No art exists - or grows, without developing an in-person local
        audience.

        Also: remember that ANY group is welcome to sing on my vocal harmony
        radio shows (see sig at end), to publicize gigs, record releases, etc.
        We've enjoyed recent appearances have been by Vocomotion, and the San
        Jose Choral project. So call me!

        My other contribution is that the June 4 '99 issue of BAM magazine has
        its annual venue boooker directory, with information sorted by city -
        with addresses, managers, booking #s, club & stage capacity, music
        type(s) booked, and other details. There may be venues that don't
        immediately spring to mind, that try to appeal to more than just one
        music-style....or that might be persuaded to try a cappella on an
        early weeknight. Who knows? The growth of acappella depends on such
        unconventional, out-of-the-box thinking....

        If you can't find the issue, remind me of your snailmail address and
        I'll send it.

        Hope you had as good a Father's Day as I did - come visit us and wine
        taste & swim in lovely Sonoma County, OK? ---- phil

        >I sent out a request a little while back for help putting together a
        >list of venues and resources to help a cappella groups
        >(esp. out-of-towner's). I got an *underwhelming* response (3 people).
        >Come on, folks! I need your help to put this together.
        >
        >Don't assume someone else will respond -- they haven't. Please take a
        >minute and email me back with a cappella venues you know of (near you
        >or that you've been to). Everybody helping a little will add up to a
        >fantastic resource for local a cappella performances!
        >
        >-- good street corners/public areas for impromptu shows
        >-- clubs, coffee houses
        >-- street fairs
        >

        >A BEGINNING
        >
        >Here's the start of the document I'm pulling together with your help.
        >Thanks to those who have already contributed.
        >
        >------
        >
        >San Francisco
        >
        >Farleys Coffee house: Vocal-friendly open mic night on the third
        >Wednesday of every month. Advanced signups, but there's usually room
        >for walk-ins if you come early. 8-10 PM. It's a great crowd, and is a
        >good place to make connections, even for reasonably well-established
        >groups. http://www.frankes.com/openmic.htm
        >
        >Streetcorner Singing --
        >
        >SOUTH BAY
        >
        >San Jose
        >
        >Espresso Garden: great open mic and gigging venue.
        >
        >Streetcorner Singing --
        >
        >Palo Alto
        >
        >Streetcorner Singing -- Lytton Plaza, outside of Burger King, is a
        >good spot to draw a small crowd, esp. in the summer. Weekend nights
        >typically see a lot of foot traffic, and being near Stanford the crowd
        >is young and lively.
        >
        >EAST BAY
        >
        >Berkeley
        >
        >Freight & Salvage Folk Coffee house, very nice venue, maybe ~400
        >seats. Variety of music, including folks, bluegrass. Major local a
        >cappella groups perform there on a regular basis.
        >
        >Streetcorner Singing -- UC Berkeleys Sproul Plaza is a great place
        >for an impromptu set. At Bancroft and Telegraph.
        >
        >NORTH BAY
        >

        >SANTA CRUZ AND SOUTH
        >
        >Santa Cruz
        >
        >Kuumbwa Jazz Center: not cheap and often must be booked well in
        >advance, but it's a great spot with a good sound system.
        >
        >Streetcorner Singing --

        [...truncated...]

      • Phil DeBar
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 1999
          Oops - here's the details on the radio shows. And another opportunity
          - on October 15, a Friday afternoon from 3-6 pm (peak drive time -
          when people are actually awake) - there will be a special edition of
          the KKUP-FM 91.5 "Human Voice Show" - let's fill the entire slot
          (except for inevitable pledge breaks to pay the rent) with
          acappella!!! Let me know if you and your group want to be radio
          stars!

          KKUP is heard well from Redwood City and Oakland south to San Jose,
          Salinas, and Santa Cruz/Monterey. Here's the details....and always -
          stay TUNED,
          phil
          Phil DeBar phil_debar@...
          host, "A Cappella Radio International" (ARI) - CASA - heard on
          www.spebsqsa.org
          (now on 42 stations worldwide!)
          host, "Human Voice Show" KKUP-FM 91.5 Tues 7-10am , San Jose/Monterey, CA
          host, "Human Voice Connections" KRCB-FM 91.1 alt. Fri 10-12pm, Santa Rosa
          Judge (Singing Category) - SPEBSQSA
          Director - Santa Rosa Redwood Chordsmen Chorus
          (707) 544-8738 1933 Hexem Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95404 USA