Concert announcement

  • Jim Hale
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 1999
      Announcement

      The Pacific Mozart Ensemble presents its annual
      A Cappella Jazz and Pop concerts the first two
      weekends in June. Tickets are $19 general, $15
      for students and seniors.

      Phone: 415 705 0848

      Locations and times

      Saturday, June 5, 5:00 PM
      Berkeley City Club
      2315 Durant (between Ellsworth and Dana)
      Berkeley

      Friday, June 11, 7:30 PM
      The Green Room, Veterans' Building
      401 Van Ness (at McAllister)
      San Francisco

      Sunday, June 13, 5:00 PM
      The Adelphian Club
      Central at Walnut
      Alameda

      (Note on the Adelphian Club:
      This is an old building being restored. It has
      great acoustics and may become a favorite venue
      for PME. Street parking is much easier in Alameda
      than in San Francisco or Berkeley. Take 880 south
      to the 23rd St. exit, cross the Park Street
      bridge into Alameda, go to Central, turn right,
      and go 2 blocks. The Club is on the northeast
      corner of Central and Walnut. Enter on the
      Walnut Street side.)

      The Concert

      There are currently 36 singers in the group. We
      find or create charts for this event, form
      various groups, rehearse them, and audition them
      in front of a jury of our peers. We also put
      together tunes for the entire ensemble. This year
      there are 4 whole-group numbers. Of the 28 songs
      in the concert, 16 are brand new, arranged by
      members of PME, 1 is a PME original recycled from
      decades past, and 1 other was commissioned a few
      years ago by PME.

      Rarely does a single group perform more than one
      song, so there is tremendous variety in the show,
      more than a typical sweeps event which may have
      6-8 groups doing three tunes each.

      This is the list of numbers for the concert. It is NOT
      the final order.

      Pinocchio's Boogie
      5 men

      Orange Colored Sky
      4 women, 4 men

      Mother Nature's Son
      Whole ensemble + male solo

      Rock A Bye Baby
      4 women

      Alexander's Ragtime Band
      4 women, 4 men

      Jeannie With the Light Brown Hair
      2 women 3 men

      I Second That Emotion
      4 women, 5 men

      A Cappella in Acapulco
      3 women, 2 men

      This Time the Dream's On Me
      4 women, 3 men

      Take Me to the River
      3 women, 4 men

      Cottontail
      2 women 3 men

      Chattanooga Choo Choo
      14 women, 7 men

      Rhapsody of New York
      8 women

      The Whistler and His Dog
      4 women, 3 men, 1 whistle

      MLK
      Whole ensemble + male solo

      Big Boned Gal
      7 women

      Pleasant Valley Sunday
      5 men

      Crazy Little Thing Called Love
      6 women, 6 men

      I Can See For Miles
      6 men

      Sweet Lorraine
      3 women, 4 men

      When God Dips His Pen of Love in My Heart
      3 women, 3 men

      Mas Que Nada
      3 women, 4 men

      I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
      3 women, 5 men

      Goldfinger
      7 women, 5 men

      Brahm's Lullaby
      2 women, 2 men

      Boogie Nights
      8 women, 6 men

      Bohemian Rhapsody
      Whole ensemble + male solo

      If the audience is real nice, encore:

      Got to Be Real
      3 women 4 men

    • Allan Hughes
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        Please join the renowned San Jose Choral Project for an evening of beauty,
        serenity and joy as we present "O Holy Night," a concert of seasonal music
        from the Renaissance to Contemporary. Highlights of this concert will
        feature
        Tomas Luis de Victoria's rarely heard "Ave Maria" for eight voices, works by
        Arvo Pärt, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Morten Lauridsen, Edvard Grieg and Franz
        Biebl's transcendent "Ave Maria," as well as settings of traditional holiday
        favorites such as "O Holy Night," "The Holly and the Ivy" and "Silent
        Night."

        The San Jose Choral Project is known for its sensitive interpretations, a
        rich and expansive tone quality and their uniquely provocative programming.
        Tickets are $15 general admission and $10 for students and seniors. The
        concert performances can be heard on:

        Friday, December 8th at Foothill Presbyterian Church
        5301 McKee Road in San Jose at 8 PM

        Saturday, December 9th at Holy Cross Church
        126 High Street in Santa Cruz at 8 PM

        Friday, December 15th at Mission Dolores Basilica
        3321 16th Street at Dolores in San Francisco at 8 PM

        and

        Saturday, December 16th at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
        13601 Saratoga Ave. in Saratoga at 8 PM

        For tickets or information, please call (408) 746-0905.

        Come celebrate the season and let your heart be warmed with the gift of
        music.

        _____
        Allan Hughes, ahughes@...