New Women's Choir forming

  • DJ Hamouris
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2005
      Women & Song: Women¹s Choir Begins 3/31

      Join Music Director DJ Hamouris in creating and learning music for the
      annual Pagan Festival (formerly the Interfaith Pagan Pride Parade ‹
      www.thepaganalliance.org). We will take the results of our creativity to
      the festival & procession, leading the participants in spirited song.

      Each session will begin with warm-ups and move on to vocal exploration. I
      will provide arrangements of our music to use for the festival. Songs,
      chants & rounds will be learned, sung and composed.

      If this class takes hold, we'll form an ongoing choir which will meet
      throughout the year performing at local events, Farmer¹s Markets, Change
      Makers for Women, Epic Arts, handfastings, etc.

      Space is limited, so call DJ at 510/595-3915 to register.

      Details:
      Festival: May 7th, 10am-5pm, Civic Center Park, Berkeley; procession at noon
      Rehearsals: Thursdays, 3/31-5/3 (6 weeks), 7-8:30pm
      Oakland location near Ashby BART (call for directions)
      Suggested donation: $5-$15 per rehearsal (no one turned away for lack of
      funds)
      Bring hand percussion to accompany our singing.

      About the Music Director:
      Deborah "DJ" Hamouris has been involved in music all her life, playing piano
      beginning at the age of 5 and continuing through a BA in vocal music. She
      was founding director of Gaia¹s Voice, a Pagan Chorus, and East Bay Harmony,
      a community a cappella choir, as well as music director for the Reclaiming
      Spiral Dance from 1999-2001. While at CSUH, she created Musica delle Donne,
      a music festival of compositions by women, which continues annually.

      DJ has recorded, performed, directed and taught music in the Pagan community
      for more than two decades. Recordings include ³Welcome to Annwfn² (1986
      with brother Rick Hamouris), ³The Chorus of Life² (1990 with Gaia¹s Voice),
      ³Let It Begin Now² (1997 with Reclaiming), and Moonrise¹s ³Songs of Love,
      Magic & Other Mysteries² (2003). Her rendition of ³Angel of Bells², on ³The
      Chorus of Life² was chosen by Serpentine Music for ³The Best of Pagan Song²
      CD, (2004).

      DJ conducts vocal ensembles, sings, plays mountain dulcimer, composes, and
      arranges music. Besides performing with Moonrise and her jazz trio (DJ &
      Brook), DJ teaches voice, mountain dulcimer and music literacy at her home
      in Oakland and leads vocal workshops.

      510/595-3915 ninshibar.com/Music.htm ninshibar@...