Beatboxing & Vocal Percussion at the Jewish Music Festival

  • jessika.geo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9 9:31 PM
      The 20th Annual Berkeley Jewish Music Festival is expanding to
      include a day of workshops and performances for the entire family.
      Ranging from 15th Century Sephardic music to Hip Hop Shabbat, we're
      covering the range of Jewish music and music by Jewish performers
      throughout the ages, and as an introduction for kids, we're including
      an "Instrument Petting Zoo" featuring nine instruments traditional to
      Klezmer & Jewish music. http://www.brjcc.org/Jewish_Music_Festival/

      March 27th, 2005

      Jewish Community Center, 1414 Walnut in Berkeley. Concerts starting
      at 11am, running through until 5:30.

      Tickets:
      $24 Family Pass (includes 2 adults and 2 children)
      $10 General Admission
      $7 BRJCC members, seniors, students and children under 5.

      OK, at this point, you're wondering, "what the heck does this have to
      do with a cappella?"

      Well, only that there will be workshops and performances from two
      amazing vocal percussionists/beatboxers:

      Tim Barsky will be doing a solo concert at 1pm, and leading a 75-
      minute workshop on "From the Bulgur to the B-boy- an introduction to
      beat-boxing and Jewish Hip-Hop" at 2pm.

      And Andrew Chaikin, AKA "Kid Beyond," will be closing out the day
      with a 5pm solo performance.

      Where else are you going to get more than TWO HOURS of this kind of
      vocal astonishment for only $10? Plus, of course, a whole heck of a
      lot more.

      To buy tickets, visit http://www.brjcc.org/Jewish_Music_Festival/

      For more information, email Jessika@....

      (On a total aside, BTW, the JMF show -other- than Community Music Day
      that I most highly recommend is Sunday, April 3rd - Klezmatics with
      Special Guest Joshua Nelson. As the event website says, "The gutsy
      band that defines Klezmer's edge, with a special guest artist who
      sings Black Jewish soul that recalls Mahalia Jackson." I've heard the
      brand new, came-out-yesterday CD featuring the Klezmatics & Joshua
      Nelson and WOW is that some incredible music.)