SACRED & profane -- A Chamber Chorus

  • Les DeLashmutt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2005
      SACRED & profane -- A Chamber Chorus

      Saturday, February 12, 2005 @ 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM
      St. Ambrose Church, 1145 Gilman (at Stannage), Berkeley, CA

      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

      Dear Culture Vultures,

      I cordially invite you to join me for SACRED & profane's winter concert this Saturday evening -- Song of Solomon, directed by Rebecca Seeman of the University of San Francisco.

      The texts of the Song of Solomon are the most sensual depictions of love in the Hebrew bible. S&P will perform settings of these texts that span history, including Hildegard von Bingen chants, Palestrina motets, a baroque piece by Henry Purcell, and 20th century works by Herbert Howells and others. They will conclude with a recent work for choir, soli, and chamber orchestra by San Francisco Conservatory composer Michael Schroeder.

      Founded in 1977, S&P is a chamber chorus that performs a wide variety of a cappella choral music. Concert repertoire includes sacred and secular works from the middle ages to the contemporary period, drawing from classical, ethnic, and folk traditions. They aim to provide an inspiring and educational experience for both audiences and chorus members through innovative programming, intensive preparation, and high quality performances.

      S&P is composed of 18 to 24 singers (Soprano/Alto/Tenor/Bass), each bringing a high level of experience and musicianship to the chorus. Follow this link for more information about S&P, buying tickets online, and directions: www.SacredProfane.org.

      Cordially,
      Les D.
      Leslie F. DeLashmutt, Jr.
      Culture Vulture Extraordinaire
      LFDeL@...
      (510) 208-5148 -- home

      P.S. Any time you tire of receiving "Culture Vulture" announcements, please let me know. This way your e-mail and my list can part company as friends. On the other end of the spectrum, if you know of any folks who might like being included on the list, please have them contact me. Thanks.