Santa Cruz Acappellafest review by Welles Goodrich

  • Christine Kraemer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 1999
      The second annual Santa Cruz A Cappella Fest Saturday, March 6 was an
      absolute winner. The instigator of this event is Tammy Heinsohn who
      is CASA's ambassador to the Central California Coast. She, with a
      committee of only three others, Claire, Gail Clark and Michael Levy
      (all singers I hasten to point out), produced a one day mini summit
      which featured workshops (one was with Wes Carroll and Elaine Chao on
      vocal percussion), lectures, a lunch time concert, pot luck dinner
      (for organizers and artists) and then the evening concert, the big
      show.

      The day's participants were treated to a wonderful lunch time concert
      which featured Press Any Key and VocaMotion, fresh from their
      participation in the Northern California Regionals of the Harmony
      Sweepstakes, along with Estetica, a jazz choral group from the Lincoln
      Academic Visual Arts and Performing Arts Magnet School, and one of
      Santa Cruz's favorite local groups, Naked Voices.

      In the evening came The Big Show. Opening were the Mount Madonna
      Choir who were having such a good time with their beautiful and
      inspirational material that they set a joyous tone for the whole
      evening as they finished their set to a thunderous standing ovation.
      Stanford University's oldest coed a cappella group, Mixed Company,
      followed with a selection of popular tunes which rocked, embellished
      by clever staging, choreography and a great sense of humor all of
      which were enthusiastically received by the full house.

      And then... the piece de resistance of the whole day, a performance by
      endless-award -winners SoVoSo. My only response seemed to be babbling
      like a litany, they really are that good, they really are that good...
      They were fun. They were inspirational. They rocked. If you missed
      it catch them soon, somewhere. We had heard about their new singer,
      Destani, but to actually hear her sing made hearing about her a pale
      shadow of the reality. So, as the day wound down to exhausted
      completion, my only coherent thoughts were that any a cappella fan
      should see SoVoSo and any local Bay Area resident should plan to visit
      Santa Cruz for next year's third annual A Cappella Fest.

      Welles B. Goodrich