Re: [ba-acappella] East Bay or SF venue for a Tsunami benefit?

  • Deke Sharon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
      Steven,

      A wonderful idea - I support you completely.

      I'm responding to the whole group in an attempt to create a "yes and"
      snowball effect.

      The House Jacks have a public concert in Marin on Fri, Jan 21st
      (Throckmorton Theater in Mill Valley), and a wedding performance on
      Sat, Jan 22. Perhaps if you set the date at Sunday, Jan 23, we could be
      a part (Garth will be in town from NY).

      I agree with pulling something together quickly - the American
      attention span is notoriously short.

      I know that CASA is happy to lend resources to the performance: perhaps
      some CDs to be raffled off, and an emailing sent to Bay Area members to
      inform them of the effort.

      As for a location, perhaps the folks in East Bay Harmony can help, as
      they're located in the East Bay (imagine that!). There's a good chance
      that a church would be willing to donate their space for such an
      effort.

      Keep the ideas and offers comin, folks.

      On Jan 4, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Stephen Saxon wrote:

      > Folks,
      >
      > I'm looking to mount an a cappella benefit concert for
      > Tsunami/Earthquake
      > relief. First things first, does anyone have an appropriate venue
      > that they
      > could make available for this? Location should be Oakland, Berkeley or
      > maybe San Francisco and the date will be the second half of January
      > some
      > time. No point talking about groups until we have a place and a date
      > solidified, so I won't.
      >
      > I participated in a similar benefit after 9/11, but it was all Klezmer
      > in
      > Berkeley. Great turn out then, and great feelings generated. Rasied
      > about
      > $5,000 on that one - all sent directly to disaster relief.
      >
      > Let me know if you have a hall that would be good for this.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Stephen Saxon (Clockwork, Piedmont Choirs, etc.)
      > stephen@...
      > www.saxon.com
      > www.cdbaby.com/saxon
      > www.clockworksingers.com
      >

      > ba-acappella: The Bay Area A Cappella Community
      > http://www.baac.net
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Deke Sharon
      415-846-4073
      http://www.totalvocal.com
    • Steve Pearce
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
        If a selected date fits into our schedule, we would be willing to drive over
        from Sacramento to perform. Keep us posted!

        -Steve

        Three 5 and 6
        www.three5and6.com
        915-361-7777

        Quoting Deke Sharon <deke@...>:

        > Steven,
        >
        > A wonderful idea - I support you completely.
        >
        > I'm responding to the whole group in an attempt to create a "yes and"
        > snowball effect.
        >
        > The House Jacks have a public concert in Marin on Fri, Jan 21st
        > (Throckmorton Theater in Mill Valley), and a wedding performance on
        > Sat, Jan 22. Perhaps if you set the date at Sunday, Jan 23, we could be
        > a part (Garth will be in town from NY).
        >
        > I agree with pulling something together quickly - the American
        > attention span is notoriously short.
        >
        > I know that CASA is happy to lend resources to the performance: perhaps
        > some CDs to be raffled off, and an emailing sent to Bay Area members to
        > inform them of the effort.
        >
        > As for a location, perhaps the folks in East Bay Harmony can help, as
        > they're located in the East Bay (imagine that!). There's a good chance
        > that a church would be willing to donate their space for such an
        > effort.
        >
        > Keep the ideas and offers comin, folks.
        >
        > On Jan 4, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Stephen Saxon wrote:
        >

        > > Folks,
        > >
        > > I'm looking to mount an a cappella benefit concert for
        > > Tsunami/Earthquake
        > > relief. First things first, does anyone have an appropriate venue
        > > that they
        > > could make available for this? Location should be Oakland, Berkeley or
        > > maybe San Francisco and the date will be the second half of January
        > > some
        > > time. No point talking about groups until we have a place and a date
        > > solidified, so I won't.
        > >
        > > I participated in a similar benefit after 9/11, but it was all Klezmer
        > > in
        > > Berkeley. Great turn out then, and great feelings generated. Rasied
        > > about
        > > $5,000 on that one - all sent directly to disaster relief.
        > >
        > > Let me know if you have a hall that would be good for this.
        > >
        > > Sincerely,
        > >
        > > Stephen Saxon (Clockwork, Piedmont Choirs, etc.)
        > > stephen@...
        > > www.saxon.com
        > > www.cdbaby.com/saxon
        > > www.clockworksingers.com
        > >

        > > ba-acappella: The Bay Area A Cappella Community
        > > http://www.baac.net
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > Deke Sharon
        > 415-846-4073
        > http://www.totalvocal.com
        >

        > ba-acappella: The Bay Area A Cappella Community
        > http://www.baac.net
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Phil DeBar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
          Stephen, Deke, Steve Pearce, and everybody who's thinking about doing
          a benefit show -----

          A group of Easy Bay barbershop choruses and quartets *has already
          booked* the 1,400-seat Chabot College Theater for a Tsunami benefit
          Sunday Jan 23. I think that 2 shows are being contemplated, like 2pm
          and 7 pm....but I am not in charge.

          Speaking just for myself, I would be more likely to attend a show that
          has a wider variety of acappella than just barbershop (which I do 2-3
          nights a week anyways....)

          There's a meeting tonight to organize a show, and it seems they can
          use all the help they can get. Here is the only info I have....phil
          ________________

          The meeting will occur at the LaQuinta Inn and Suite Located on
          Hesperian Blvd. in Hayward (Near the Hayward Airport):

          Date: January 4, 2005

          Time: 7:30pm

          Address: 20777 Hesperian Way
          Hayward, Ca

          Please send at least one representative of your Chorus to this
          meeting! I understand that everyone is extremely busy, but we need
          your assistance in this worthy cause!

          Hope to see you there!

          Kevin P. Smith 510-581-3738
          roscoe154@...

          President - Fremont-Hayward Chapter of SPEBSQSA
          The New Dimension Chorus
          www.ndchorus.com

          =======