East Bay or SF venue for a Tsunami benefit?

  • Stephen Saxon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
      Folks,

      I'm looking to mount an a cappella benefit concert for Tsunami/Earthquake
      relief. First things first, does anyone have an appropriate venue that they
      could make available for this? Location should be Oakland, Berkeley or
      maybe San Francisco and the date will be the second half of January some
      time. No point talking about groups until we have a place and a date
      solidified, so I won't.

      I participated in a similar benefit after 9/11, but it was all Klezmer in
      Berkeley. Great turn out then, and great feelings generated. Rasied about
      $5,000 on that one - all sent directly to disaster relief.

      Let me know if you have a hall that would be good for this.

      Sincerely,

      Stephen Saxon (Clockwork, Piedmont Choirs, etc.)
      stephen@...
      www.saxon.com
      www.cdbaby.com/saxon
      www.clockworksingers.com
    • Deke Sharon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
        Steven,

        A wonderful idea - I support you completely.

        I'm responding to the whole group in an attempt to create a "yes and"
        snowball effect.

        The House Jacks have a public concert in Marin on Fri, Jan 21st
        (Throckmorton Theater in Mill Valley), and a wedding performance on
        Sat, Jan 22. Perhaps if you set the date at Sunday, Jan 23, we could be
        a part (Garth will be in town from NY).

        I agree with pulling something together quickly - the American
        attention span is notoriously short.

        I know that CASA is happy to lend resources to the performance: perhaps
        some CDs to be raffled off, and an emailing sent to Bay Area members to
        inform them of the effort.

        As for a location, perhaps the folks in East Bay Harmony can help, as
        they're located in the East Bay (imagine that!). There's a good chance
        that a church would be willing to donate their space for such an
        effort.

        Keep the ideas and offers comin, folks.

        On Jan 4, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Stephen Saxon wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > I'm looking to mount an a cappella benefit concert for
        > Tsunami/Earthquake
        > relief. First things first, does anyone have an appropriate venue
        > that they
        > could make available for this? Location should be Oakland, Berkeley or
        > maybe San Francisco and the date will be the second half of January
        > some
        > time. No point talking about groups until we have a place and a date
        > solidified, so I won't.
        >
        > I participated in a similar benefit after 9/11, but it was all Klezmer
        > in
        > Berkeley. Great turn out then, and great feelings generated. Rasied
        > about
        > $5,000 on that one - all sent directly to disaster relief.
        >
        > Let me know if you have a hall that would be good for this.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Stephen Saxon (Clockwork, Piedmont Choirs, etc.)
        > stephen@...
        > www.saxon.com
        > www.cdbaby.com/saxon
        > www.clockworksingers.com
        >

        > ba-acappella: The Bay Area A Cappella Community
        > http://www.baac.net
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Deke Sharon
        415-846-4073
        http://www.totalvocal.com
      • Steve Pearce
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
          If a selected date fits into our schedule, we would be willing to drive over
          from Sacramento to perform. Keep us posted!

          -Steve

          Three 5 and 6
          www.three5and6.com
          915-361-7777

          Quoting Deke Sharon <deke@...>:

          > Steven,
          >
          > A wonderful idea - I support you completely.
          >
          > I'm responding to the whole group in an attempt to create a "yes and"
          > snowball effect.
          >
          > The House Jacks have a public concert in Marin on Fri, Jan 21st
          > (Throckmorton Theater in Mill Valley), and a wedding performance on
          > Sat, Jan 22. Perhaps if you set the date at Sunday, Jan 23, we could be
          > a part (Garth will be in town from NY).
          >
          > I agree with pulling something together quickly - the American
          > attention span is notoriously short.
          >
          > I know that CASA is happy to lend resources to the performance: perhaps
          > some CDs to be raffled off, and an emailing sent to Bay Area members to
          > inform them of the effort.
          >
          > As for a location, perhaps the folks in East Bay Harmony can help, as
          > they're located in the East Bay (imagine that!). There's a good chance
          > that a church would be willing to donate their space for such an
          > effort.
          >
          > Keep the ideas and offers comin, folks.
          >
          > On Jan 4, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Stephen Saxon wrote:
          >

          > > Folks,
          > >
          > > I'm looking to mount an a cappella benefit concert for
          > > Tsunami/Earthquake
          > > relief. First things first, does anyone have an appropriate venue
          > > that they
          > > could make available for this? Location should be Oakland, Berkeley or
          > > maybe San Francisco and the date will be the second half of January
          > > some
          > > time. No point talking about groups until we have a place and a date
          > > solidified, so I won't.
          > >
          > > I participated in a similar benefit after 9/11, but it was all Klezmer
          > > in
          > > Berkeley. Great turn out then, and great feelings generated. Rasied
          > > about
          > > $5,000 on that one - all sent directly to disaster relief.
          > >
          > > Let me know if you have a hall that would be good for this.
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > >
          > > Stephen Saxon (Clockwork, Piedmont Choirs, etc.)
          > > stephen@...
          > > www.saxon.com
          > > www.cdbaby.com/saxon
          > > www.clockworksingers.com
          > >

          > > ba-acappella: The Bay Area A Cappella Community
          > > http://www.baac.net
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > Deke Sharon
          > 415-846-4073
          > http://www.totalvocal.com
          >

          > ba-acappella: The Bay Area A Cappella Community
          > http://www.baac.net
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Phil DeBar
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
            Stephen, Deke, Steve Pearce, and everybody who's thinking about doing
            a benefit show -----

            A group of Easy Bay barbershop choruses and quartets *has already
            booked* the 1,400-seat Chabot College Theater for a Tsunami benefit
            Sunday Jan 23. I think that 2 shows are being contemplated, like 2pm
            and 7 pm....but I am not in charge.

            Speaking just for myself, I would be more likely to attend a show that
            has a wider variety of acappella than just barbershop (which I do 2-3
            nights a week anyways....)

            There's a meeting tonight to organize a show, and it seems they can
            use all the help they can get. Here is the only info I have....phil
            ________________

            The meeting will occur at the LaQuinta Inn and Suite Located on
            Hesperian Blvd. in Hayward (Near the Hayward Airport):

            Date: January 4, 2005

            Time: 7:30pm

            Address: 20777 Hesperian Way
            Hayward, Ca

            Please send at least one representative of your Chorus to this
            meeting! I understand that everyone is extremely busy, but we need
            your assistance in this worthy cause!

            Hope to see you there!

            Kevin P. Smith 510-581-3738
            roscoe154@...

            President - Fremont-Hayward Chapter of SPEBSQSA
            The New Dimension Chorus
            www.ndchorus.com

            =======