A Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols

  • Les DeLashmutt
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2004
      When: Sunday, 19 December 2004, 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
      Where: St. Mark's Parish, 2300 Bancroft Way, Berkeley CA 94704

      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

      Dear Culture Vultures,

      This service was originally instituted at Truro Cathedral (www.TruroCathedral.org.uk) in Cornwall, England, based on a medieval vigil service. It was modified in the early twentieth century by the Very Rev. E.M. Millner-White, that time dean of King's College Chapel (www.Kings.Cam.ac.uk/Chapel), Cambridge, England. Since then, it has been sung annually in King's College Chapel on Christmas Eve, and at St. Mark's since 1942.

      The service opens with the traditional carol "Once in royal David's city", a bidding prayer, and the Lord's Prayer. The story continues with the promise to Abraham, the assurance of the prophet Isaiah, the calling of Mary, the birth of Jesus, and ends with St. John's unfolding of the great mystery of the Incarnation. Carols, familiar and unfamiliar, are sung throughout the service by the choir and the congregation.

      The service, now in its 62nd year at St. Mark's Parish, is held in candlelight. A "festive" reception follows in Hodgkin Hall -- Translation: Lots of great food and wine. Child-care is available from 4:00 PM until 6:00 PM. This is a popular service, so I advise early seating.

      An offering will be received for the work of St. Mark's Choir Association. Checks may be made payable to St. Mark's Choir Association. Contributions are tax-deductible.

      If you have any questions regarding St. Mark's Parish or their choir, I encourage you to consult their web site (www.StMarksBerkeley.org).

      Cordially,
      Les D.

      Leslie F. DeLashmutt, Jr.
      Senior Programmer/Analyst
      LFDeL@...
      (510) 412-1446 -- work
      (510) 208-5148 -- home

      P.S. Any time you tire of receiving "Culture Vulture" announcements, please let me know. This way your e-mail and my list can part company as friends. On the other end of the spectrum, if you know of anyone who might like being included on the list, please have them contact me. Thanks.