Singing Volunteers Needed

  • Deborah Hamouris
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2004
      Singing For Your Life with members of SoVoSó
      Thursday, December 30th, Noon to Midnight
      First Congregational Church of Oakland, 2501 Harrison Street
      (at 27th Street)
      Refreshments by East Bay Food Not Bombs.
      Suggested Donation $10 and up, sliding scale, no-one turned
      away for lack of funds.
      Contact: (510) 444-8511 x15, info@...,
      www.artsfirstoakland.org

      Volunteers Needed! Singers, Runners, Photographers, Ushers,
      Set-up, Food prep & servers, Clean-up, Hospitality, First Aid.

      This is the third year Arts First Oakland has produced this
      fabulous year-end event and we need your help! We can use
      people at all kinds of jobs, for all levels of ability & talent. A
      couple of jobs are needed prior to 12/30, but most are on the day
      of the event.

      If you are able to contribute some time, muscle, or vocal talent,
      please contact DJ Hamouris or Eve Lindi ASAP! We'll be happy
      to plug you into the right volunteer job that fits your time &
      personality.

      Singers are especially needed! If you or your family (or your
      friends or your choir!) can commit to singing for two hours
      (noon-2pm, 2-4pm, etc. up till midnight), we'd love to have you
      as
      part of the "core choir", which helps make this event such a
      success.

      And please, talk it up to everyone you know who would love to
      participate in this soul-filled, non-denominational, musical event.

      I'm including the text of our Press Release — feel free to
      forward
      it at will to your personal contacts. That will help with the
      outreach we need to make Singing for Your Life grow at AFO.

      Thanks,
      DJ Hamouris
      510/595-3915

      **
      December 1, 2004
      For Immediate Release
      Contact: Eve Lindi, 510-444-8511 x15

      Join the Circle – Singing for Your Life with Members of SoVoSó
      Brings Closure to 2004 with Twelve Hours of Improvised Music
      and Altar Art

      (OAKLAND, CA) – Arts First Oakland invites singers and
      listeners alike to join members of SoVoSó in "Singing For Your
      Life" – a twelve-hour year-end open house, featuring
      improvised
      Circlesinging and interactive altar art at First Congregational
      Church of Oakland. Thursday, December 30, from noon to
      midnight, all are invited to sing out the old year, or just relax and
      listen to the continuous, spontaneous song of closure and
      renewal. Throughout the day, people will come and go, sing and
      meditate, gather and reflect, and interact with an exhibit of Altars
      representing the changing of the year.

      Several members of SoVoSó are originators and leading
      proponents of Circlesinging – a unique improvised song-form.
      Originated by Bobby McFerrin and Voicestra, this popular
      combination of concert and ritual migrated in 2002 from San
      Francisco's Grace Cathedral to Arts First Oakland. Now, the
      addition of the Art Altars and a café hosted by East Bay Food Not
      Bombs gives the event a distinctly East Bay flavor. Voicestra
      alumni David Worm and Joey Blake – along with fellow SoVoSó
      members Sunshine Becker, Bryan Dyer and Ashling Cole –
      continue and expand the tradition, which attracts participants
      from all over the Bay Area and beyond.

      In Circlesinging, a skilled leader proposes layered melodic and
      rhythmic parts to a choir of singers, creating songs unique to the
      moment. Singing volunteers are recruited ahead of time to
      ensure that there is always a core group to form the choir. Others
      will come and go as the day continues and the music evolves.
      As the leader cues out old parts and introduces new ones, the
      song continues and changes without stopping, at times
      supporting individual solos, always grounded in attentive
      listening.

      In the church sanctuary and at the entrances, Venee Call-Ferrer,
      Deborah J. Hamouris, Shiloh Sophia McCloud, and other local
      artists will exhibit altars that represent "Release and
      Renewal"
      as the theme for the ending of the year. Each altar will contain an
      interactive element that invites the viewer to reflect on and
      express the theme from different religious perspectives,
      influenced by and informing the changing musical environment.
      Those who join the Circle will find themselves both challenged
      and affirmed – the result is a meditation in song, and a
      remarkable interfaith ritual that is sure to bring new meaning to
      the year's end for all who attend.

      All are welcome to drop in and sing or simply enjoy listening, to
      connect with friends, and to make time to reflect on the Year just
      ending. Admission is by donation, and the event is supported by
      the City of Oakland Cultural Funding Program.