San Francisco area events NOV. 20-28

  • suzanne leonora
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2004
      I am delighted to announce a series of appearances by the Choir of the
      Monastery of Archangel Michael in Rustavi, Georgia, a working Georgian
      Orthodox liturgical choir and concert ensemble of skilled folklorists
      who have toured in Europe and recorded in Georgia. Their schedule is
      appended.

      Georgian singing is mesmerizing, ecstatic, and spine-tingling, whether a
      love song, a pagan ritual, or the Christian liturgy that boasts
      seventeen centuries of history. Traditional Georgian a cappella singing
      continues to flourish even today, in concert halls and living rooms and
      at feast tables.
      Trio Kavkasia writes:
      The Georgian people, inhabiting a land the size of West Virginia wedged
      between Russia and Turkey, speak a group of languages related to no
      other outside the Caucasus Mountain region. Georgia is an island
      musically as well, exceptional in having an ancient, deep-rooted
      tradition of polyphony (music in several independent voices), while all
      the cultures that surround it, and all the cultures that have occupied
      or passed through it, are firmly monophonic. Georgian polyphony appears
      to be truly autonomous and original, and its rules of counterpoint and
      tuning derive from nowhere else. Three-part singing in Georgia was
      probably in full flower by the ninth century, substantially preceding
      the modern development of polyphony in Europe...
      (www.argosoft.com/kavkasia/)

      Please write to John Beal for more information.

      Suzanne Leonora
      Director, Mosaic Vocal Ensemble

      Begin forwarded message: