Cantabile Choral Guild (formerly BCG) presents "The Seasons of Christmas"

  • Sonja Wohlgemuth
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      The Seasons of Christmas

      December 10, 11 and 12

      To make your holidays merry, Cantabile Chorale (formerly the Guild Chorus)
      offers beautiful music for the seasons of Christmas, juxtaposing Renaissance
      masters with composers of our own time.

      ¨ for the Advent season
      pairing Josquin Desprez with Trond Kverno
      and T. L. Victoria with Herbert Howells

      ¨ for the Christmas season
      pairing Andrea Gabrieli with Enrique Ribo
      and H. L. Hassler with Healey Willan

      ¨ for the Epiphany season
      pairing Jakob Handl with Alice Parker
      and Francisco Guerrero with Sanford Dole

      "Fall has arrived, and the Cantabile Chorale is hard at work
      preparing for our December concert set, The Seasons of Christmas. As our
      opening program this year we’re presenting a full-on Christmas concert, and
      it’s going to knock your socks off!

      The program is the culmination of years of planning on my part. I’ve
      sung in many candlelight-style Christmas concerts since . . . Well,
      virtually every year since I was a small child. And I’ve often thought about
      what such a concert would be like if I were the one planning it. Running
      parallel with those musings, I’ve also thought of what would be on a
      Christmas recording if I could make one. So, as the years have passed,
      singing these concerts and listening to countless Christmas CDs, I’ve been
      storing up my favorites in a mental file.

      I have my Renaissance favorites and then all of my 20th-century
      favorites. Rather than just divide the program into an early music half and
      a contemporary half, I felt it made more sense to group the pieces by their
      texts. The Seasons of Christmas, therefore, tells the familiar story of
      Christ’s birth in six stages. I’ve named the two for the season of Advent
      “The Angel Gabriel” and “In Praise of Mary.” From there, we move on to
      Christmas with “A Boy is Born,” “The Shepherds” and “In the Stable” and
      finally to Epiphany with “The Kings.”

      Each of those six sets consists of three or four pieces mixing
      Renaissance composers with modern composers, and as we travel through the
      seasons, it will be interesting to hear how the old music informs the new,
      and vice versa. Along the way you’ll hear Josquin Desprez next to Englishman
      Herbert Howells, the Spanish Renaissance master Francisco Guerrero with
      Canadian Healey Willan, and Slovene Jacob Handl followed by American Alice
      Parker. You’ll also hear delightful works from Catalonia, Norway, and
      Poland, as well as an original by yours truly. The book ends that begin and
      end the concert are both lively, 21st-century works interpreting medieval
      carols. What’s more, we’ll record this program as a CD to be released next
      year. With our renewed focus on growth, we take this exciting step of making
      our first commercial recording to achieve greater community presence and
      recognition.

      It’s a new era for us, and I’m sure you’ll want to be a part of it.
      So make plans now to attend one of our concerts on December 10, 11 or 12. If
      you can arrive a half-hour early, you’ll hear me talk a bit more about how I
      put this program together. And during intermission you can place your
      advance order for our CD of the show.

      I look forward to seeing all of you in your Christmas finery.
      Cheers!" - Sanford Dole

      Locations, Times and Tickets

      Friday, December 10 at 8:00
      St. Gregory of Nyssa Church
      550 DeHarro
      San Francisco

      Saturday, December 11 at 8:00
      First United Methodist Church
      625 Hamilton
      Palo Alto (just off University Ave)

      Sunday, December 12 at 7:30
      St. John's Presbyterian Church
      2727 College Ave
      Berkeley

      Ticket Prices
      Season subscriptions 20% discount off of regular single ticket pricing.
      $60 general
      $45 seniors
      $25 students special $15 rate underwritten by generous donor!

      Single tickets
      $25 general
      $20 seniors
      $10 students special $6 rate underwritten by generous donor!

      All seating general. Preview lectures 1/2 hour before concert delivered by
      Sanford Dole and Audrey Wong.

      To order tickets: call 650-424-1410, email info@.... We accept
      Visa and MC.

      Sonja Wohlgemuth, Executive Director
      Cantabile Choral Guild (formerly Baroque Choral Guild)
      Cantabile Chorale (adult chorus)
      Cantabile Youth Singers
      953 Industrial Ave, Suite 118
      Palo Alto, CA 94303