Mokale'a and Bay Area Polyrhythm Choir

  • Kate Munger
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      "MOKALE'A (mo'-kuh-lay'-uh) is a timeless journey into a world of layered
      rhythms, movement, singing, clapping....laughter and joy....discovery and
      transformation. The Mokale'a RhythmSong Workshop is a fun and powerful way
      to develop musical and rhythmic skills, and to understand rhythm and life in
      a completely new way. It is, simply put, a journey into the very heart of
      rhythm"
      -- Tony Elman

      Dear friends and music lovers,

      I'm pleased to invite you to an upcoming free "Introduction to Mokale'a"
      evening this Thursday Nov. 4, followed by a five-week Mokale'a Workshop
      (see below). And please join us on Mondays to sing with our Bay Area
      Polyrhythm Choir! (see below.)

      Feel free to forward this to anyone you think may be interested. Thanks,
      Tony

      ***********
      "INTRODUCTION TO MOKALE"A" w/Tony Elman
      Thursday Nov.4 7:30-9:30 pm. (free)
      College Ave. Presbyterian Church, 5951 College Ave, N. Oakland (directions
      below)
      **bring bottled water and sneakers/soft-soled shoes

      MOKALE'A RHYTHMSONG WORKSHOP w/Tony Elman
      NOV.11-DEC.16 Thursdays 7:30-9:30 pm (excluding 11/25 Thanksgiving)
      College Ave. Presbyterian Church, 5951 College Ave, N. Oakland (directions
      below)
      **suggested donation $65/sliding scale (all are welcome) for 5-week workshop
      **please RSVP to tonyelman@...
      ***********

      What is "Mokale'a"? Mokale'a is....

      ***A Workshop For Everyone...musicians and "non-musicians" alike.

      ***A Rhythm Journey. We step, clap and sing in multiple layers of
      rhythm--producing a sense of calm and joy, even bliss, that can last for
      days. The Mokale'a circle, like a polyrhythmic ocean, literally immerses us
      in waves of rhythm.

      ***A Tribal Singing Circle. We help each other find our voices in a safe
      and supportive space--lifted and carried by the circle, our voices
      effortlessly soar in 3-6 part harmony.

      ***Superb Musical Training (all levels). Participants develop their
      rhythmic and musical skills effortlessly-- using techniques adapted from the
      amazing work of Reinhard Flatischler (TaKeTiNa) and others. The Mokale'a
      Workshop is so effective that the Cuban Ministry of Culture is bringing it
      to Cuba, the heart of the rhythm world.

      COMMENTS about the Mokale'a Workshop: "exhiliarating" "fiercely
      challenging and well worth it" "the most valuable musical training I've
      had" "a profound healing experience"

      *************
      BAY AREA POLYRHYTHM CHOIR Tony Elman, director
      Mondays 7:30-9:30 pm - please RSVP to tonyelman@...
      5951 College Ave Presbyterian Church, N. Oakland (directions below)
      **bring bottled water and sneakers/soft-soled shoes, if possible
      *************

      The Bay Area Polyrhythm Choir will have its next rehearsal on Monday
      November 1 at the College Ave Presbyterian Church (directions below.)
      Please join us!! We sing chants, rounds and songs from all over the world
      (folk, traditional, sacred, modern) in soaring 3-6 part harmony--while we
      step, clap and sing together in multiple layers of rhythm ("polyrhythm").
      It is truly a wonderful experience. Our first (informal) performance will be
      December 13. All are welcome...there are no auditions. Feel free to check
      it out this Monday at no obligation. If you'd like to continue, there is a
      suggested donation (sliding scale) and scholarships are available.

      TONY ELMAN is an award-winning composer, performer, music producer, and
      hammered dulcimer player. He is the creator of the "Mokale'a" RhythmSong
      Training, which he has been developing since 2002. Tony is also the founder
      and director of the newly-formed Bay Area Polyrhythm Choir.

      for more info contact tonyelman@... and leave a phone number if
      you'd like to talk.

      DIRECTIONS TO COLLEGE AVE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

      MAP
      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=5951+college+ave&city=oakland+&state=CA&zipcode=&search=++Search++
      PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

      #51 BUS to College and Chabot. Walk one minute north on College Ave to
      church on west (left) side.

      BART to Rockridge BART station, walk 3 minutes north on College Ave.to
      church on west (left) side.

      DRIVING DIRECTIONS

      from BERKELEY: drive east (up) Ashby, turn right onto College Ave, drive
      6/10 mile. Church is a few hundred feet past Claremont Ave on the right
      (west) side. Park on the street or behind church in Dreyer's lot
      (accessible from ClaremontAve or Chabot Ave)

      from OAKLAND: Take BART!! (see above) or drive up (north) Broadway, cross
      51st, then slight left onto College Ave. Then drive 7/10 mile, church is on
      left after Chabot Ave. Park on the street or behind church in Dreyer's lot
      (accessible from ClaremontAve or Chabot Ave)

      from SAN FRANCISCO: Take BART!!(see above) OR Take Bay Bridge to Oakland,
      then merge onto I-580 E towards CA 24/Downtown Oakland/Hayward. After 1.6
      miles, take 24E towards Walnut Creek. After 1.5 miles, exit at Claremont
      Ave. Turn left onto Claremont Ave. After 3/10 mile, take slight right onto
      Chabot. Park on the street or behind church in Dreyer's lot (accessible
      from ClaremontAve or Chabot Ave)

      from MARIN COUNTY/NORTH: Take I-580 E towards CA 24/Downtown Oakland/
      Hayward. After 1.6 miles, take 24E towards Walnut Creek. After 1.5 miles,
      exit at Claremont Ave. Turn left onto Claremont Ave. After 3/10 mile, take
      slight right onto Chabot. Park on the street or behind church in Dreyer's
      lot (accessible from ClaremontAve or Chabot Ave)

      from WALNUT CREEK/EAST: Take BART!! (see above) or Take 24W towards
      Oakland. Exit College Ave. In 1/2 mile, turn right onto College Ave.
      Drive 1/10 mile, church is on left after Chabot Ave. Park on the street or
      behind church in Dreyer's lot (accessible from ClaremontAve or Chabot Ave)

      from HAYWARD/SOUTH: Take BART!! (see above) or Take 880N to 980E towards
      CA24 Walnut Creek. Merge onto CA24 Berkeley/Walnut Creek. After 1.6 miles,
      exit at Claremont Ave. Turn left onto Claremont Ave. After 3/10 mile, take
      slight right onto Chabot. Park on the street or behind church in Dreyer's
      lot (accessible from ClaremontAve or Chabot Ave)

      "Rhythm is life, life is rhythm"

      Kate Munger
      kate@...
      Box 173, Inverness CA 94937