The Mokale'a Workshop (Free introductory evenings...)

  • Kate Munger
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2004
      Come sing, move and lift your spirit!!

      Please join us for one or both free introductory evenings (the next two
      Mondays) and bring your friends!! ***We're trying to secure a different
      space beginning May 24, so stay tuned.***

      FREE INTRODUCTORY EVENINGS
      Mondays May 10, 17 7:30-9:30 pm
      Berkeley Art Center (directions below)

      ***********************************
      THE MOKALE'A WORKSHOP**
      "a journey into the heart of rhythm"
      led by TONY ELMAN
      MONDAYS MAY 24--June 21 7:30 pm
      Oakland/Rockridge area location (TBA)
      **by donation, all are welcome

      WHAT IS "MOKALE'A'? MOKALE'A IS.....

      a workshop for everyone----professional musicians and non-musicians alike.

      a rhythm journey-----we step, clap and sing together in multiple
      layers....."in a polyrhythmic ocean, immersed in waves of rhythm".

      a tribal singing circle-----our voices effortlessly soar in moving, powerful
      3-6 part harmony.

      world-class musical training (all levels)-----techniques adapted from the
      amazing work of Reinhard Flatischler (TaKeTiNa) create a quantum leap in
      understanding rhythm.

      COMMENTS about the Workshop: "exhiliarating" "fiercely challenging,
      liberating and joyful" "the most valuable musical training I've had"
      "a profound experience"

      TONY ELMAN has influenced a generation of musicians and music lovers. His
      "Shakin' Down the Acorns" is the most popular hammered dulcimer recording
      ever. Tony is a prolific composer of songs, rounds, choral works & fiddle
      tunes, and an award-winning music producer with over a dozen releases on his
      Acorn Music label. Tony is the founder/director of the upcoming San
      Francisco Polyrhythm Choir, and is the creator of the "Mokale'a" Workshop.

      DIRECTIONS to Berkeley Art Center, 1275 Walnut St.
      >From top (end) of University Ave.(at Oxford) in Berkeley: Turn left,
      heading north on Oxford for approx. 2/3 mile. Turn left on Rose. Take
      first right onto Walnut St. The Berkeley Art Center is in the first block
      on the right side, just after the houses end. See the sign and follow the
      walking path 50-100 feet to building.

      >From Oakland or SF: Take Hwy 80 to University Ave exit (Berkeley). Follow
      University Ave east (uphill) to the end, then follow directions above.

      >From BART (Berkeley), take bus or walk up Shattuck, heading north approx. 1
      mile to Rose. Turn right on Rose. Take 2nd left onto Walnut St. (see
      above)

      for more info contact tonyelman@...

      Kate Munger
      kmunger@...