show highlights - House Jacks/Hookslide at the Fox

  • Michael Olivier
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
      This was a really fun show - I wanted to post a quick note with highlights,
      and encourage others to post similar notes after shows you see. Help
      inspire us to get out of our routines and into theater seats!

      I haven't seen the Jacks perform in a while and had a fabulous time with
      them. This was my favorite a capp performance since seeing Rockapella
      several years ago. They sounded great and were funny at times to the level
      of a very good comedy show. They improv'd "Eye of the Tiger" during some
      hookslide push-ups (see below) and also had a whole section devoted to
      stump-the-band style improv, taking suggestions from the audience. It's
      stunning what they pulled off on the spot. Culminated in a hilarious
      Grease/Thriller medley. Tristan, a founding member no longer with the
      group, lives in RWC near the Fox, so he was in audience and joined the
      group twice for some songs.

      Hookslide did a fun set - Mayank's birthday was yesterday so they brought
      cookies for the crowd, had balloons, and we even got a set of pushups from
      him as part of a pledge to get workout pals in the audience to the show. I
      haven't seen Hookslide before - enjoyed their performance - amazed by
      bass/percussionist John, who is able to mix both beat and bass into one
      sound. Where's there time to breathe?!

      The Fox is a fairly new theater opened in downtown RWC and has a large
      theater and a small (Little Fox) theater where this show happened - looks
      to hold about 120 on two levels in a very intimate setting... full bar,
      reasonable drinks. The venue is a huge relief to those of us on the
      peninsula who feel stuck outside of the cultural scene that typically
      centers around SF and Berkeley. The Fox finally has a mailing list to hear
      about events - website is www.foxdream.com.

      Michael Olivier
      Bay Area A Cappella Online Community: http://www.baac.net
      Get email from your neighbors! http://www.Local2Me.com