Solstice auditions reminder

  • sheryl kaskowitz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you know that we have extended the deadline
      for submitting audition tapes/CDs to March 31. If you have already submitted
      a tape or CD, we will be in touch with you after the new deadline. We are
      particularly looking for sopranos, but may consider other voice parts as
      well. Thanks!

      **************
      ATTENTION WOMEN SINGERS:

      Solstice is currently seeking a female singer to join our six-woman a
      cappella group.

      We're looking for someone with experience singing with a vocal group, who
      can read music, has a good musical ear, and good blend. We'd like a singer
      who feels comfortable performing in different languages and musical styles
      (including pop, classical, and world music). Arranging skills a plus. We are
      looking for a high voice (soprano I or II), but may consider other voice
      parts as well.

      We rehearse once a week in San Francisco (sometimes more when we're
      preparing for a concert), and perform an average of once a month. If you're
      interested, please send a tape or CD to:

      Solstice
      c/o Kaskowitz
      306 Park Street
      San Francisco, CA 94110

      If you don't have anything recorded already, just sing into a tape recorder
      and send us the tape (recording quality doesn't matter). Make sure to
      include your e-mail address and phone number with your tape, and please tell
      us a little bit about your musical background as well. The deadline for
      receiving tapes or CDs is March 31. Auditions will be held in April.

      About Solstice
      Solstice explores the versatility of the a cappella song, weaving
      traditional and popular American music, Eastern European folk songs, Italian
      madrigals, and original a cappella compositions into a strong vocal sound
      that is richer than the sum of its six voices. Our repertoire‹spanning more
      than 11 countries and 900 years‹is unified by our mission: to sing music
      written by women and for women¹s voices.

      Since its formation in 1996, Solstice has performed in the Bay Area¹s finest
      venues for a cappella music, including the Freight and Salvage, Villa
      Montalvo, La Peña Cultural Center, Berkeley Art Center, and Noe Valley
      Ministry. In November 2001, Solstice performed alongside The Bobs and other
      acclaimed groups in the West Coast A Cappella Summit¹s evening concert, at
      the Marin Veteran¹s Auditorium in San Rafael. The group has also performed
      on the KALW (91.7 FM) On-Air Folk Festival, at the 2000 West Coast A
      Cappella Summit, and in many local concert series.

      Solstice tied with Sweet Honey in the Rock as runners-up in the Folk/World
      category of the 2001 A Cappella Community Awards, given by the Contemporary
      A Cappella Society of America (CASA). Solstice¹s self-titled debut album,
      released in 2000, has earned praise throughout the a cappella and folk music
      communities. Primarily A Cappella called the recording ³a thoughtful and
      intelligent debut,² and the album¹s 17th track, ³Blood and Gold,² won a 2001
      Contemporary A Cappella Recording Award (CARA) nomination for best song in
      the Folk/World Music category. Solstice is currently finishing work on our
      second recording.

      For more information, visit our website (at its temporary location while we
      sort out some technical difficulties): www.kimbaker.com/solstice.html
      <http://www.kimbaker.com/solstice.html>

      Thanks! And please pass this along to anyone you think might be interested.