Call for Singers for Sacred & Profane, Berkeley

  • Dalia Vidor
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2004
      Call for Singers.

      Sacred & Profane, a dynamic 30-singer a cappella choir, seeks a
      singers for their 2004 season. We aim to provide inspiring and
      educational experiences for our audience and chorus members through
      innovative programming.

      Sacred & Profane strives for diversity: from the backgrounds of our
      singers to the languages and styles of music we perform. The chorus
      is based in Berkeley and rehearses in Rockridge on Monday evenings
      from 7:30 to 10:00 pm.

      For the spring our current line up is: 7 sopranos, 3 altos, 4 tenors,
      and 5 basses. In other words: we really need more singers! In
      particular, we need altos, tenors and basses.

      However, being as musically connected as we all are, it would be great
      if we could all put out the word to find new singers.Ê If there is
      anyone you know of who would be interested in auditionting for the
      group, please have them contact Lisa Gartland at lisa@... ,
      and as soon as we can confer with our conductor, Rebecca Seeman about
      when / how she'd like to audition new singers, we'll start auditions.

      BACKGROUND: After an informal beginning in 1975, singers of Sacred &
      Profane began performing in public in 1978 under the musical direction
      of James Mayer. In 1980, the group incorporated as Sacred & Profane,
      a chamber chorus. Sacred & Profane concentrates on variety, from the
      types of music performed, to the languages and cultures represented in
      its programming, and the diverse musical and professional backgrounds
      of its singers. Sacred & ProfaneÕs concerts combine seriousness and
      humor, the early and the modern, the sacred and the profane. The group
      has been said to Òachieve all the qualities one looks for in a chamber
      chorus: articulation and expression of the text, blending and contrast
      of voices, flexibility of styles, a sense of intimate dialogue."
      Diversity makes for great music and concert experiences. Sacred &
      Profane often sings a cappella works of the medieval era, the
      Renaissance, and the 21st Century in a single concert set. The
      chamber chorus enjoys performing challenging works not frequently
      heard, collaborating with other ensembles and musicians, and singing
      pieces by local composers.