Choral Conductor

  • Dalia Vidor
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2003
      Choral Conductor

      Sacred & Profane, a dynamic 30-singer a cappella choir, seeks a
      choral conductor for the 2004 season. We just celebrated a
      successful 25th season and aim to provide inspiring and educational
      experiences for our audience and chorus members through innovative
      programming. S&P strives for diversity: from the backgrounds of our
      singers to the languages and styles of music we perform. The chorus
      is based in Berkeley and rehearses in Rockridge.

      The director position is available starting in February of 2004.
      The audition process will take place in January.

      REQUIREMENTS: choral conducting experience equivalent to a master's
      degree in choral conducting, experience with diverse repertoire from
      Hildegard and Hindemith, ability to program motivating, interesting,
      and coherent concert programs, interest in music in unusual
      languages, available for Monday evening rehearsals.

      PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Must be available May 8,9,15 of 2004.

      SALARY/BENEFITS: Stipend of $3,000 for the spring season. In
      addition, the conductor also will receive 4 season passes to S&P
      concerts for friends/family.

      TO APPLY: Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and ideal spring
      program in MS Word format to d_vidor@.... Tapes and CDs
      welcome – send to P.O. Box 32312 Oakland, CA 94604

      BACKGROUND: After an informal beginning in 1975, singers of Sacred
      and Profane began performing in public in 1978 under the musical
      direction of James Mayer. In 1980, the group incorporated as Sacred
      and Profane, a chamber chorus. Sacred and Profane concentrates on
      variety, from the types of music performed, to the languages and
      cultures represented in its programming, and the diverse musical and
      professional backgrounds of its singers. Sacred and Profane's
      concerts combine seriousness and humor, the early and the modern,
      the sacred and the profane. The group has been said to "achieve all
      the qualities one looks for in a chamber chorus: articulation and
      expression of the text, blending and contrast of voices, flexibility
      of styles, a sense of intimate dialogue." Diversity makes for great
      music and concert experiences. Sacred and Profane often sings a
      cappella works of the medieval era, the Renaissance, and the 20th
      Century in a single concert set. The chamber chorus enjoys
      performing challenging works not frequently heard, collaborating
      with other ensembles and musicians, and singing pieces by local
      composers.