Men's chorus from Moscow at Stanford tonight

  • Jerry Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2003
      I have two tickets we can't use, for tonight's concert by Chorovaya
      Akademia, the men's choir from Moscow, at Stanford University at Memorial
      Church, (Friday 4-4-03 at 8:00 p.m., general admission, $34 each). The box
      office has instructed us to fax to them a copy of the torn tickets with the
      names of the two people to be allowed admittance, and fax another copy to
      you to use to get in. First one to call and give us two names and a fax
      number wins! 831-457-0910. It would be nice to be reimbursed fully or
      partially for the tickets, but we would rather give them away than let them
      go to waste.

      Jerry Paul
      Santa Cruz

      Here is a copy of the advertisement:

      With a mighty sound, Director Alexander Sedov and his 16-member Chorovaya
      Akademia reawaken the magnificent repertoire of the Russian Orthodox Church
      and three centuries of secular music. With tremendous force and technical
      brilliance, this men’s choir from Moscow delivers interpretations of ancient
      chants and the most complex polyphony. Bringing modern musical styles into
      traditional orthodox liturgical forms, this rigorously trained choir will
      stun you with what the Los Angeles Times calls "granitically rooted
      strength."

      They are able to produce staggering intensity, yet can also sing with
      incredible smoothness at the quietest levels, without ever letting their
      blend suffer. —Montréal Gazette (Canada)

      Program
      Sergey Rachmaninoff: All-Night Vigil (Vespers), op. 37; Anton Viskov: Choral
      Poem, Verses About the Beautiful Lady