      Robert Parsons:  Ave Maria
      Robert Lucas Pearsall:  Caput Apri Defero  * In Dulci Jubilo
      Bryan Kelly:  Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis in C
      Philip Stopford:  Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day  *  Lully, Lulla, Lullay  * Wexford Carol
      Will Todd:  Christus Est Stella  * The Christ Child  *  None Other Lamb
      Peter Warlock:  Benedicamos Domino  * Adam Lay Ybounden
      Peter Warlock:  Tyrley Tyrlow  * Balulalow  *  The Sycamore Tree
      William Walton:  All This Time  * What Cheer?
      Rehearsals began Monday, September 9, 2013
      Rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:15-9:45 p.m. in the:
      Trinity Episcopal Church
      1620 Gough Street (between Austin and Bush Streets)
      San Francisco
      To arrange for an audition (ability to blend and sing in tune, some sight reading skill expected) or obtain further information, contact Music Director Robert Gurney at 415-721-4077 or rgurney@.... For further information about us, check our website at http://www.sflc.org.
      Our concerts will be held on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 5 p.m.
      Our Fall 2013 trimester, From British Shores… Christmas Across The Pond, celebrates holiday works, a cappella and accompanied, by 20th and 21st century British composers, including Britten, Howells, Kelly, Stopford, Todd, Warlock, and Walton, with a small touch of 16th century Parsons and 19th century Pearsall.
      We wish a very happy 100th birthday to Benjamin Britten (1913-1976) as we perform his joyous Jubilate Deo in C and Jubilate Deo in E Flat for chorus and keyboard, as well as the pensive chorale, A Boy Was Born, one of the sections from his 1933 set of choral variations, A Boy Was Born.
      Herbert Howell’s (1892-1983) Hymn for St. Cecilia celebrates the feast day of the patron saint of music, November 22—which also is Benjamin Britten’s birthday!  With text by Ursula Vaughan Williams, second wife of Ralph Vaughan Williams, this work for chorus and keyboard soars in English cathedral style.
      Renaissance composer Robert Parsons (ca. 1535-1572), composer and Gentleman of the Chapel Royal, created very few works in his brief life.  His motet, Ave Maria, is an exquisite example of 16th century English sacred music.
      Robert Lucas Pearsall (1795-1896) probably is best known for his wonderful part song, Lay A Garland, as well as his arrangement of the carol, In Dulci Jubilo, which is No. 2 on BBC Music Magazine’s 2008 list of the top 50 carols and Christmas works as chosen by major English and American choir directors.  We sing the very popular In Dulci Jubilo, as well as Pearsall’s little known/rarely performed Caput Apri Defero, his arrangement of the Boar’s Head Carol.
      Oxford-born composer Bryan Kelly’s (1934-  ) Latin-American/calypso-rhythmed Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis in C for chorus and keyboard is a real crowd pleaser in English cathedral style.
      We sing three carols set by the English composer, conductor and organist Philip Stopford (1977- ).  Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day is a joyous, dance-rhythm setting of this familiar carol.  Lully, Lulla, Lullay is a gentle, lullaby-style setting of the 16th century Coventry Carol text.  The Wexford Carol is a haunting version of this 12th century Irish melody.
      English classical composer and jazz pianist Will Todd (1970- ) is probably best known for his choral jazz work, Mass in Blue. We sing three of his sacred compositions, Christus Est Stella, a setting of the words of the Venerable Bede; The Christ Child, a lovely setting of G.K. Chesterton’s gentle holiday words; and None Other Lamb, a setting of Christina Rosetti’s Christmas poem.
      Well known English composer, critic, author, and music scholar Peter Warlock (1894-1930, pseudonym of Philip Heseltine) set many familiar English poems and carols, as solo songs and as choral works.  We sing five of his carol settings, from the familiar text of Adam Lay Ybounden to The Sycamore Tree, his setting of I Saw Three Ships.
      Composer William Walton’s (1902-1983) sets two carols—All This Time and What Cheer? that express the joy of the holiday season.
      Formed in 1995, San Francisco Lyric Chorus is an auditioned, medium-sized, mixed-voice chorus that performs a diverse repertoire with an emphasis on classical choral music and rarely performed works. We are an inclusive and welcoming community of singers, committed to excellent musicianship and creative programming.  The Chorus has featured performances of works by such composers as Berlioz, Mozart, Bach, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, Fauré, Dufay, Josquin, Bernstein, Gjeilo, Howells, Pärt, Tavener, Lauridsen, Verdi, Britten, Whitacre, Dvorák, Kodály, Corigliano, and San Francisco composer Kirke Mechem, as well as our 10th Anniversary commissioned work, Illinois composer Lee R. Kesselman's This Grand Show Is Eternal and the December 2009 World Premiere of Robert Train Adams’ Christmas Fantasy.
      We have a wonderful sense of community and enjoy making music together and sharing it with our audiences. We would like to meet you!

      Helene Whitson
      President, San Francisco Lyric Chorus
      Co-Author, San Francisco Bay Area Chorus Directory
      Founder, San Francisco Bay Area Choral Archive
      1824 Arch Street
      Berkeley, California  94709
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic