1Western Wind Vocal Ensemble On-Line Updater

  • Christina Frei - by way of Michael Olivi
    Apr 26, 1998
      Hello there. I just received this newsletter that I think may be of
      interest to the Bay Area A Cappella Community. There is a vocal workshop
      at Cal State Long Beach, and a Jazz Vocal workshop with one of the founders
      of Vox One.

      Christina Frei

      Western Wind Vocal Ensemble On-Line Updater
      April, 1998

      Greeting from The Western Wind! Time seems to be flying by as we prepare
      for a VERY busy and exciting late Spring and Summer. Here are a few
      highlights:

      * WORKHOPS:
      Smith College- June 26-July 4 and July 24-August 1, and
      Cal State Long Beach (yes, that's California!)- July 12-18

      * CONCERTS: NYC:
      6/18 at Society for Ethical Culture (64th and Central Park West)- call
      (212) 873-2848 5/19 and 5/26 at Eighty-Eight's (10th Street b/t 7th and 8th
      Ave.)- call (212) 924-0088

      * HELP WANTED:
      Zach's off to Columbia Business School in the Fall. We need a new
      marketing director and a new administrator! Know anyone who loves the arts
      and likes variety? Send them our way.... Estimated start time late June.
      E-mail resumes to: info@... or fax (212) 873-2849.

      * MY FUNNY VALENTINE UPDATE:
      MFV was named runner up for Best Jazz Album 1998 (Contemp. A Cap. Recording
      Awards)! Special offer: CD's $14.95 and Cassettes $9.95 through 6/30/98.
      New on-line SECURE order form. Visit www.westernwind.org or call
      1-800-788-2187.

      * WELCOME:
      Tenor Neil Farrell, who has officially joined the group! He replaces Tim
      Evans, who left the ensemble to meet increasing performance demands in Europe.

      * A CAPPELLA SUMMIT IN BOSTON:
      June 26-28 at New England Conservatory in Boston. The Summit will offer
      concerts, seminars, and a trade show full of cool a cappella merchandise.
      Info: www.casa.org, e-mail casa@..., or call (415) 563-5224. Tickets:
      call (508) 376-8517.

      FOR details, read on and/or visit our web site:

      http://www.westernwind.org/news.htm where the ENTIRE contents of our
      upcoming printed newsletter appear.

      1. SMITH COLLEGE WORKSHOP: space is filling up quickly for our annual
      summer workshops in Northampton, MA. Weekend, 5-day and 8-day sessions are
      available. From June 29-July 4, our regular faculty will be joined by
      Yumiko Matsuoka, founder of the pop a cappella group Vox One. Yumiko is a
      renowned arranger and member of the Berklee School of Music faculty. The
      workshop, which will cover a wide range of a cappella music from medieval
      and Renaissance to 20th-century compositions, will offer those who are
      interested, opportunities to work with Yumiko on aspects of pop and jazz
      techniques.

      Register via our NEW on-line registration form (www.westernwind.org) or
      call 1-800-788-2187 for a printed brochure.

      ---------------------------------

      2. CAL STATE LONG BEACH WORKSHOP: California, here we come! As part of
      Cal State at Long Beach's Summer Arts (continuing education) course, The
      Small Vocal Ensemble: A Singer's Paradise, The Western Wind will teach
      participants its unique approach to the art of ensemble singing. The
      course runs from July 12-25, and is divided among the The Western Wind,
      which will teach from July 12-18, Simon Carrington (founding member of the
      King's Singers), Dale Jergenson (composer, conductor, and former director
      of the Los Angeles Master Chorale's public school touring ensemble), and
      Diva Complex (a female a cappella quartet comprised of ACDA choir
      directors). Limited scholarships are available.

      For more info. visit Cal State's Summer Arts web page:
      www.calstate.edu/summerarts/Music/sm_vocal_ensmble.html, phone course
      coordinator William Belan at (213) 343-4067 or e-mail wbelan@....

      ---------------------------------------

      3. NYC CONCERTS:
      June 18 at Society for Ethical Culture:
      Help us usher in our 30th performance season with a vocally adventurous and
      spirited exploration of repertory (old and new) from around the world.
      Renaissance love songs by Luca Marenzio; Jazz and Pop selections from our
      new recording, My Funny Valentine; settings of e.e. cummings' poetry by
      James Bassi, Elliot Z. Levine, Peter Schickele, and Matthew Harris; and
      music by Cuban-born composers Tania Le´┐Żn and Alejandro Garcia Caturla.

      When: June 18 at 8pm
      Where: New York Society for Ethical Culture
      2 West 64th Street (at Central Park West)
      Price: $22 (Orchestra center); $18 (Orchestra side/Front mezzanine);
      $15 (Rear mezzanine/balcony); $12 (Student/Senior)
      Tickets: Call (212) 873-2848 or e-mail info@....
      Visa/Mastercard accepted. (TDF/v)
      *Special offer- reserve your tickets by June 10 and receive a $2/ticket
      discount!
      (Not available for Student/Senior or TDF voucher tickets)

      The Western Wind After Dark at Eighty-Eight's
      Relax with song and spirit(s)! Please help us prove to the club
      establishment that (besides Jacques Brel) a cappella is alive and well and
      living in New York by attending one of our club dates:

      When: May 19 and 26 at 10:00pm
      Where: Eighty Eights
      228 West 10th Street (7th and 8th Ave.)
      Price: $12 cover + 2 drink
      Tickets: Call (212) 924-0088 (please make reservations)
      Cool Jazz and more!

      ---------------------------------------

      4. A CAPPELLA SUMMIT IN BOSTON:
      The Summit serves as an excellent introduction for lovers of Renaissance
      and classical vocal music to the burgeoning world of vocal jazz and pop a
      cappella, which has gained tremendous popularity on college campuses, in
      nightclubs, and at major performance venues throughout the world.

      To find out more about The East Coast Summit or about CASA, please visit
      www.casa.org, e-mail casa@..., or call (415) 563-5224. Tickets can be
      purchased directly by calling (508) 376-8517.

      Thanks for your time. Remember, if you'd prefer not to receive monthly
      updates from us, no problem! Just send an e-mail to: info@...
      and type "remove from mailing list" in the subject line. Hope to see/hear
      you soon!

      -Zach Nelson
      Marketing Director

      The Western Wind Vocal Ensemble, Inc.