Crusade piles

  • Daryl Poe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2001
      Having played my first tournament against decks with
      Crusade/Explorer/Corporate/Legacy Piles (from the Crusade expansion), I
      thought I'd give my impression and see whether others agree or disagree:

      1. Piles make your deck one step faster.
      2. Any deck will be improved by adding a Pile.
      3. You can't play without them unless you like a real challenge.

      1. Piles make your deck one step faster: I mostly saw Explorer piles in
      play. New Team resulted in three free promotions; Pieces of the Puzzle
      resulted in +1 influence; Marata Fleets resulted in 24 free military;
      various other cards added characters or conflicts as free draws. The
      promotions were each about a turn's worth of influence, the Marata
      fleets likewise (i.e. you could get the same thing "the conventional
      way", but it would cost you a turn to promote or sponsor a decent
      fleet).

      2. Any deck will be improved by adding a Pile: The cost of adding a
      Pile to your deck is negligible or nonexistent. But even if the pile
      were full cards the like of Carn Mollari, Hunter-Prey, and Master of
      Deception, that's a character for sponsoring things, a conflict you can
      play aftermaths on, or another aftermath for Legacy, extra cards for
      Telepathic Scan to draw, extra cards to shuffle back in with Different
      Perspectives, Imperial Telepaths, etc. And the cards are *considerably*
      better than Carn, Hunter, and Master. :-)

      3. You can't play without a Pile unless you like a real challenge:
      Because of the previous points, playing without a Pile is like playing a
      sport with five players when the other guy has six. Sure, in hockey
      you occasionally score when the other team has a power play, but why
      choose to play like that (unless there was a mismatch in player skill
      you're trying to even out)?

      I must congratulate Precedence for their marketing and -- as a player --
      condemn Precedence for making an expansion that you can't live without.
      Previous expansions have all provided some new, nice cards that could
      make old decks marginally better, and provide some new decks and ways of
      playing (i.e. Drakh, ISA, Psi Corps), but you could -- if you chose --
      skip an expansion and get along just fine. Or just buy a handful of
      packs and trade for the cards you need to make your old decks "keep
      up". Many of us probably bought several booster boxes anyway, but I
      never felt "forced" to buy before Crusade. I wonder what future
      expansions have in store?

      I'm anxious to hear from you who have more experience with Crusade
      Piles. Are my first impressions correct?

      Daryl
    • Fiber
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
        At 13:49 1/01/01 -0700, you wrote:
        >Having played my first tournament against decks with
        >Crusade/Explorer/Corporate/Legacy Piles (from the Crusade expansion), I
        >thought I'd give my impression and see whether others agree or disagree:

        I'm from Barcelona and i'm haven't received the Crusade boosters yet... I
        would like to know what is all this Crusade Piles thing... Thanks a lot.

        fiber@...
        http://web.kaos.es/fiber/laetitia/index.htm
        Tributo pictorico a Laetitia Casta, visitala !!!