Wake Up People!!

  • Chad
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
      Boy, it's been pretty slow around here recently.

      As I'm working on some more articles, here's some
      questions I have about WoF, now that it's been out for
      a while. Feel free to chime in.

      The Drakh
      1 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most wins?
      Search for a Home

      2 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most failures?
      I think Power Supreme is harder to pull off than it
      seems.

      3 - What Drakh agenda hasn't been seen?
      I have yet to see a Secret Masters deck.

      4 - Most popular Drakh ambassador?
      La'Shan

      5 - Least popular Drakh ambassador?
      Probably Shar'kali, since he only pulls a Drakh group.

      6 - What turn do most people 'Drakhify'?
      Very early. Turn 2 or 3. I've only seen 1 'late' Drakh
      strategy.

      The ISA
      1 - Does the ISA usually pass?
      I haven't seen the vote fail yet.

      2 - What turn does the ISA usually form?
      Usually once at least half the table is at 10
      influence.

      3 - Does the ISA speed up or slow down the game?
      Both. During one game, the ISA boost made the game
      last about 20 minutes, since everyone just raced to
      victory. In another, the ISA immediately locked down
      the game since everyone went into 'opposition' mode
      and didn't initiate conflicts, just waiting for other
      people to try so they could shut them down.

      4 - What ISA card gets the most use?
      ISA President

      5 - What ISA card gets the least use?
      Medical Database

      Others
      1 - Is Miziri/Rule by the Masses a standard starting
      hand now?
      I've tried Nug/Ulg for my B4 deck, but frankly the
      combination of being at 6 influence and able to
      sponsor and promote your second ambassador on Round 2
      is really too much to pass up.

      2 - Any tried a Gerentocracy deck?
      Not yet, but I really would like to.

      3 - Is Media a viable strategy now?
      I have a very effective C.Na'Far/Media deck that works
      quite well. I've seen another player with one as well.

      4 - Have the Vorlons seen much play?
      I haven't seen one played yet.

      =====
      Draal
      Editor/Publisher - Epsilon 3
      www.epsilon3.org
      "When the time is right, we will be here waiting for you"

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Neil Ottenstein
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
        On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Chad wrote:

        > The Drakh
        > 1 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most wins?
        > Search for a Home

        I tried it out this weekend in two games. In the first game I wasn't
        generated chaos tokens fast enough so I changed my opening hand slightly
        and in the second game it worked quite well in getting the most power. If
        I had slimmed my deck down a bit it probably would have done even better.

        > 3 - What Drakh agenda hasn't been seen?
        > I have yet to see a Secret Masters deck.

        If you had still been in the Virginia area you would have seen one at
        work.

        > 5 - Least popular Drakh ambassador?
        > Probably Shar'kali, since he only pulls a Drakh group.

        He was a key element of the Secret Masters deck, though he was pulled in
        by La'shan.

        > 6 - What turn do most people 'Drakhify'?
        > Very early. Turn 2 or 3. I've only seen 1 'late' Drakh
        > strategy.

        Both of us with Drakh decks did it as soon as we had 7 influence.

        Neil
      • David Conner
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
          --- Chad <cfbrunner@...> wrote:
          > Boy, it's been pretty slow around here recently.
          >
          > As I'm working on some more articles, here's some
          > questions I have about WoF, now that it's been out
          > for
          > a while. Feel free to chime in.

          Hey, I've got actual, real-life stats on this stuff!
          The Northern Virginia league is finally paying
          dividends, and you go running off to Chicago.... :)

          Statistics are from 52 League games, about half of
          which are also tournament games, played between May
          and August.

          > The Drakh
          > 1 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most wins?
          > Search for a Home

          "Winning" in these statistics means "first place" but
          not necessarily an outright victory.
          Interestingly, Let the Galaxy Burn is first, Search
          for a Home second, but with only 2 and 1 wins,
          respectively. Never Again and "No Agenda" have each
          gotten one first place finish.

          > 2 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most failures?
          > I think Power Supreme is harder to pull off than it
          > seems.

          Agreed. Interestingly, it's barely even been tried
          around here. Or at least, no one (irrespective of
          placing) has had it out as their finishing agenda in
          any of our games.

          > 3 - What Drakh agenda hasn't been seen?
          > I have yet to see a Secret Masters deck.

          We had our first on Saturday. It was interesting.
          Ultimately, it was a huge nuisance, but never a great
          threat to win. OTOH, this was an odd setup, with the
          Secret Masters a Sheridan faction and Psi Corps also
          in the game. The deck's original design was to
          conscript Bester, which obviously wasn't possible. It
          might've worked pretty well without a PC faction in
          the game, as Bester plus Shar'kali would be a pretty
          formidable combo. Basically, the deck got a fair
          number of early pawns, then started getting shut down
          by combined
          forces from the Psi Corps, Centauri telepaths, and the
          Hyach Matriarch. Another drawback is that the deck
          didn't do very well in gaining influence or power, and
          the ISA was in play for one game.

          > 4 - Most popular Drakh ambassador?
          > La'Shan

          Yes. The stats:
          Councilor La'Shan: 10
          Shiv'kala: 3
          Shar'kali: 2
          Rimush: 1
          Master of Darkness: 0

          > 5 - Least popular Drakh ambassador?
          > Probably Shar'kali, since he only pulls a Drakh
          > group.
          >
          > 6 - What turn do most people 'Drakhify'?
          > Very early. Turn 2 or 3. I've only seen 1 'late'
          > Drakh
          > strategy.

          Would that be my attempt to make Councilor La'Shan
          the ISA's Tyrant Enthroned? :) I never was able to
          pull off that idea, but a last-turn Councilor
          La'Shan's Diplomacy did let me eke out a second place
          finish in one game....

          > The ISA
          > 1 - Does the ISA usually pass?
          > I haven't seen the vote fail yet.

          Agreed.

          > 2 - What turn does the ISA usually form?
          > Usually once at least half the table is at 10
          > influence.

          I think it's actually most common after everybody's at
          10 or 11 or so. It's pretty common, but rarely a card
          people build decks around, or put in the opening hand.

          > 3 - Does the ISA speed up or slow down the game?
          > Both. During one game, the ISA boost made the game
          > last about 20 minutes, since everyone just raced to
          > victory. In another, the ISA immediately locked down
          > the game since everyone went into 'opposition' mode
          > and didn't initiate conflicts, just waiting for
          > other
          > people to try so they could shut them down.
          >
          > 4 - What ISA card gets the most use?
          > ISA President
          >
          > 5 - What ISA card gets the least use?
          > Medical Database

          I've also never seen Free Trade played, which is
          mildly surprising to me. In general, the ISA
          conflicts don't see much use, while the various
          enhancements (ISA President especially, but also The
          Rangers, Mutual Defense, and Declaration of
          Principles) come out fairly often.

          > Others
          > 1 - Is Miziri/Rule by the Masses a standard starting
          > hand now?
          > I've tried Nug/Ulg for my B4 deck, but frankly the
          > combination of being at 6 influence and able to
          > sponsor and promote your second ambassador on Round
          > 2
          > is really too much to pass up.

          We had a Non-Aligned Nightwatch deck on Saturday that
          did well. But generally, yeah, Miziri + Rule by the
          Masses seems to be the standard opener. Miziri Tal is
          the overwhelming choice for starting ambassador. The
          only exceptions were Chad's use of Nug/Ulg, and a
          NA/Drakh deck that used a Vizak/Juphar Trkider
          opener.

          > 2 - Any tried a Gerentocracy deck?
          > Not yet, but I really would like to.

          I've seen it used on occasion, but not where the deck
          was really centered around it.

          > 3 - Is Media a viable strategy now?
          > I have a very effective C.Na'Far/Media deck that
          > works
          > quite well. I've seen another player with one as
          > well.
          >
          > 4 - Have the Vorlons seen much play?
          > I haven't seen one played yet.

          Yep, no change there. Vorlon stuff in general is
          pretty much dead except for the occasional You Are Not
          Ready and Vorlon Enhancement. Maybe I'll try a heavy
          Vorlon deck for the next new deck I build....

          http://invites.yahoo.com/
        • David Conner
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
            --- Neil Ottenstein <otten@...> wrote:
            > On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Chad wrote:
            >
            > > The Drakh
            > > 1 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most wins?
            > > Search for a Home
            >
            > I tried it out this weekend in two games. In the
            > first game I wasn't
            > generated chaos tokens fast enough so I changed my
            > opening hand slightly
            > and in the second game it worked quite well in
            > getting the most power. If
            > I had slimmed my deck down a bit it probably would
            > have done even better.

            Yeah, but just remember, if I hadn't forgotten to take
            my You Have No Power Here out of my Psi Corps deck,
            Emperor Mollari II's mighty Centauri Nightwatch
            minions would have ruled the day! :)

            http://invites.yahoo.com/
          • Lord Mollari
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
              see below...
              ---

              "Insanity is part of the times. You must learn to embrace the madness and let it fire you."

              On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 06:47:21 Chad wrote:
              >Boy, it's been pretty slow around here recently.
              >
              >As I'm working on some more articles, here's some
              >questions I have about WoF, now that it's been out for
              >a while. Feel free to chime in.
              >
              >The Drakh
              >1 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most wins?
              >Search for a Home

              Yep same here.

              >2 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most failures?
              >I think Power Supreme is harder to pull off than it
              >seems.

              Any of the others!

              >3 - What Drakh agenda hasn't been seen?
              >I have yet to see a Secret Masters deck.

              Let the galaxy burn not seen here.

              >4 - Most popular Drakh ambassador?
              >La'Shan

              La' Shan

              >5 - Least popular Drakh ambassador?
              >Probably Shar'kali, since he only pulls a Drakh group.

              Master of Darkness the also ran...

              >6 - What turn do most people 'Drakhify'?
              >Very early. Turn 2 or 3. I've only seen 1 'late' Drakh
              >strategy.

              Generally early never seen a Drakh last turn finish, though in theory it is possible.

              >The ISA
              >1 - Does the ISA usually pass?
              >I haven't seen the vote fail yet.

              I have seen the vote fail as often as it succeeds! On the basis that it would be a game win for the 'calling' player.

              >2 - What turn does the ISA usually form?
              >Usually once at least half the table is at 10
              >influence.

              Sometimes before all player reach 10 sometimes after.

              >3 - Does the ISA speed up or slow down the game?
              >Both. During one game, the ISA boost made the game
              >last about 20 minutes, since everyone just raced to
              >victory. In another, the ISA immediately locked down
              >the game since everyone went into 'opposition' mode
              >and didn't initiate conflicts, just waiting for other
              >people to try so they could shut them down.

              Difficult to assess? Early victories and long games may or may not be due to ISA.

              >4 - What ISA card gets the most use?
              >ISA President

              ISA Pres, Dec of Prin, Secret and arrogant, Alliance fleet...

              >5 - What ISA card gets the least use?
              >Medical Database

              The trade pact one(?)

              TTFN

              LM

              Before you buy.
            • David Conner
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
                --- Lord Mollari <lord_mollari@...> wrote:

                > >The ISA
                > >1 - Does the ISA usually pass?
                > >I haven't seen the vote fail yet.
                >
                > I have seen the vote fail as often as it succeeds!
                > On the basis that it would be a game win for the
                > 'calling' player.

                I think around here if it gets to that point, nobody
                bothers trying to play ISA. Though we did have a
                probably ill-advised ISA formation in one game that
                indirectly helped Councilor Na'Far win a lot more than
                it did everybody else.

                > >4 - What ISA card gets the most use?
                > >ISA President
                >
                > ISA Pres, Dec of Prin, Secret and arrogant, Alliance
                > fleet...

                Secret and Arrogant? Really? Interesting.... I
                always figured this would rarely see play, since:
                1. To win it, you need a good amount of Diplomacy.
                2. There's no real Drakh Diplomatic path to victory.
                3. If you have a good amount of Diplomacy and you're
                not Drakh, when will you *not* join the ISA?

                When do you see it played?

                http://invites.yahoo.com/
              • curevei@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
                  In a message dated 8/1/2000 6:49:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  cfbrunner@... writes:

                  > The Drakh
                  > 1 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most wins?
                  > Search for a Home

                  Drakh almost never win. Probably, Subvert the Nexus is barely ahead of Burn.

                  > 2 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most failures?
                  > I think Power Supreme is harder to pull off than it
                  > seems.

                  The one time I tried it, it won, and everyone hated the game. Most failures?
                  I'd say Burn because it was very popular for a while and usually "won" when
                  players figured that nobody else could when the games were called. However,
                  I think that someone satisfied the requirements at most twice.

                  > 3 - What Drakh agenda hasn't been seen?
                  > I have yet to see a Secret Masters deck.

                  And, Foment Discord here. The Secret Masters is the only Drakh agenda I can
                  think of that encourages interaction.

                  > 4 - Most popular Drakh ambassador?
                  > La'Shan

                  Shiv'kala might get the most play. Shar'kali is the most desirable to have
                  in play outside of pure military decks.

                  > 5 - Least popular Drakh ambassador?
                  > Probably Shar'kali, since he only pulls a Drakh group.

                  La'Shan (ignoring Master of Darkness) - all he gives is diplomacy when
                  everyone else is likely to have tons. But, if you only want to pull all the
                  ambassadors, I can see La'Shan getting lots of play. Problem is that if
                  there are other Drakh, you usually need one and don't need the others, so you
                  play "yours". I have yet to see a Drakh deck that needed La'Shan.

                  > 6 - What turn do most people 'Drakhify'?
                  > Very early. Turn 2 or 3. I've only seen 1 'late' Drakh
                  > strategy.

                  Almost always turn 2 to prevent getting shut out by another Drakh deck.

                  > The ISA
                  > 1 - Does the ISA usually pass?
                  > I haven't seen the vote fail yet.

                  Yes, but see below.

                  > 2 - What turn does the ISA usually form?
                  > Usually once at least half the table is at 10
                  > influence.

                  Everyone at 10.

                  > 3 - Does the ISA speed up or slow down the game?
                  > Both. During one game, the ISA boost made the game
                  > last about 20 minutes, since everyone just raced to
                  > victory. In another, the ISA immediately locked down
                  > the game since everyone went into 'opposition' mode
                  > and didn't initiate conflicts, just waiting for other
                  > people to try so they could shut them down.

                  Not sure, in part because of the next answer.

                  > 4 - What ISA card gets the most use?
                  > ISA President

                  Expelled. ISA forms, people have some extra influence to apply, then
                  everyone gets Expelled because the ISA isn't actually useful for anything.
                  Not every time. But, three Expelled are standard for my reserves after
                  seeing how often people will go for it.

                  > 5 - What ISA card gets the least use?
                  > Medical Database

                  I've seen it played. I haven't seen a number of ISA cards played - Universal
                  Policemen, But Were Your Allies, State Visit, others I can't remember the
                  titles to.

                  > Others
                  > 1 - Is Miziri/Rule by the Masses a standard starting
                  > hand now?
                  > I've tried Nug/Ulg for my B4 deck, but frankly the
                  > combination of being at 6 influence and able to
                  > sponsor and promote your second ambassador on Round 2
                  > is really too much to pass up.

                  Standard? Yes. All of the time, no.

                  > 2 - Any tried a Gerentocracy deck?
                  > Not yet, but I really would like to.

                  Not since last year, except for a Drakh deck that had G. in the opening hand
                  to fill it out. Tell everyone when you drop it on turn one that I said the
                  card isn't worth taking out with Internal Opp. because you could have played
                  a much nastier NA deck. Gets stronger the longer the game goes ...

                  > 3 - Is Media a viable strategy now?
                  > I have a very effective C.Na'Far/Media deck that works
                  > quite well. I've seen another player with one as well.

                  The only Media deck I've seen so far was Highlander. It got messed with for
                  some reason in our last Highlander tournament even though it wasn't winning
                  and could have used higher abilities to slow down another deck. Pass.

                  > 4 - Have the Vorlons seen much play?
                  > I haven't seen one played yet.

                  It is possible to get them out. There's no reason to, but it is possible.
                  Vorlon, itself, might as well not be multiple. Haven't jumped on acquiring a
                  third because the card has such low play value. Best thing about them is
                  that people *think* you have a bunch of psi. Next best thing is more Vorlon
                  Marks for the Servants of Order win. Assuming you haven't won with Order
                  Above All ages ago.
                • Lord Mollari
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
                    I played S&A in a tourney :-)

                    The fact that it rotates the ambassadors of the non Drakh factions is key. Coupled with a strategic Moral Quandry's etc...

                    Also i have seen the ISA formed with some players not joining who were not Drakh! They were playing mil decks :-)
                    ---

                    On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:16:23 David Conner wrote:

                    >--- Lord Mollari <lord_mollari@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> >The ISA
                    >> >1 - Does the ISA usually pass?
                    >> >I haven't seen the vote fail yet.
                    >>
                    >> I have seen the vote fail as often as it succeeds!
                    >> On the basis that it would be a game win for the
                    >> 'calling' player.
                    >
                    >I think around here if it gets to that point, nobody
                    >bothers trying to play ISA. Though we did have a
                    >probably ill-advised ISA formation in one game that
                    >indirectly helped Councilor Na'Far win a lot more than
                    >it did everybody else.
                    >
                    >> >4 - What ISA card gets the most use?
                    >> >ISA President
                    >>
                    >> ISA Pres, Dec of Prin, Secret and arrogant, Alliance
                    >> fleet...
                    >
                    >Secret and Arrogant? Really? Interesting.... I
                    >always figured this would rarely see play, since:
                    >1. To win it, you need a good amount of Diplomacy.
                    >2. There's no real Drakh Diplomatic path to victory.
                    >3. If you have a good amount of Diplomacy and you're
                    >not Drakh, when will you *not* join the ISA?
                    >
                    >When do you see it played?

                    >Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites.
                    >http://invites.yahoo.com/
                    >

                    >Babylon 5 CCG Community E-list.
                    >No Trades, Auctions or Solicitations are allowed.
                    >Keep it fun, keep it friendly, enjoy.
                    >
                    > Post message: b5ccglist@onelist.com
                    > Subscribe: b5ccglist-subscribe@onelist.com
                    > http://www.onelist.com/community/b5ccglist

                    Before you buy.
                  • PDB6@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
                      In a message dated 8/1/00 6:49:19 AM, cfbrunner@... writes:

                      << The Drakh
                      1 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most wins?
                      Search for a Home>>

                      We see Search for a Home win all the time, and lots of people like to use
                      Foment Discord (which slows down a game like nobody's buisness...).

                      >>2 - What Drakh agenda has seen the most failures?
                      I think Power Supreme is harder to pull off than it
                      seems.>>

                      Power Supreme is incredibly difficult to actually win with, unless you are
                      packing 3 You Have No Power here.

                      >>3 - What Drakh agenda hasn't been seen?
                      I have yet to see a Secret Masters deck.>>

                      Me too, thank, G'Quan. That Agenda is an absolute *nightmare*, but it is so
                      hard to actually win with, no one has ever seemed to build a deck out of it
                      yet around here.

                      >>4 - Most popular Drakh ambassador?
                      La'Shan>>

                      People like Shar'Kali (Mr 15 Psi, da?) and La'Shan.

                      >>5 - Least popular Drakh ambassador?
                      Probably Shar'kali, since he only pulls a Drakh group.>>

                      Shiv'Kala--he keeps getting turned by the other Drakh guys, so he is mostly
                      useless.

                      >>6 - What turn do most people 'Drakhify'?
                      Very early. Turn 2 or 3. I've only seen 1 'late' Drakh
                      strategy.>>

                      2 or 3

                      >>The ISA
                      1 - Does the ISA usually pass?
                      I haven't seen the vote fail yet.>>

                      I have only played one game with an ISA deck, and the vote passed--everyone
                      joined, and things were status quo, until the media deck was Expelled and
                      effectively bombed back to the stone age as a result.

                      >>4 - What ISA card gets the most use?
                      ISA President>>

                      Expelled seems the most obvious winner. Getting expelled from the ISA in a 4
                      player game pretty much means you lose the game right there.

                      >>I've tried Nug/Ulg for my B4 deck, but frankly the
                      combination of being at 6 influence and able to
                      sponsor and promote your second ambassador on Round 2
                      is really too much to pass up.>>

                      Nug Ulg is freaking great--the extra speed from the other hand isn't really
                      necessary, as the B4 deck can't really win on its own (assuming you are
                      trying to win off of Steal B4, which mine does all the time), so you aren't
                      really trying to beat anyone to the punch. My opening hand is:

                      Nug/Ulg
                      Fashar (who can survive the T1 Airlock Mishap :-)
                      Vlur/Nhar
                      Muster Support
                      Airlock Mishap (which you play *before* you make Fashar)

                      This is a very speedy opening--you get to 5 influence *and* have Fashar and
                      draw and extra card on T1. You get to promote Fashar and build to 6 on turn
                      2. Strieks me as just as quick as the Miziri opening.

                      >>3 - Is Media a viable strategy now?
                      I have a very effective C.Na'Far/Media deck that works
                      quite well. I've seen another player with one as well.>>

                      One of our players has a very viable media deck--wins occasionally, but
                      Idon't know much about it. He played it at Origins and did pretty well.

                      >>4 - Have the Vorlons seen much play?
                      I haven't seen one played yet.>>

                      They are *so* hard to play.

                      -P'Ter
                    • Cheryl Ockenden
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2, 2000
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 2, 2000
                          I've always wanted to try a Psi Corps/Vorlon Deck and
                          make both Lyta Released and Vorlon Renegade join the
                          Corps ;)

                          Chad

                          --- Cheryl Ockenden <TheOne@...>