AU Card for Sinclair...

  • Ward, Charles D
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2010
      Group,

      Had an idea for an "AU" card for Sinclair - "Dark Sinclair"
      L) 6
      I) 8
      D) 7
      Replace Cmdr. Sinclair with Dark Sinclair when he has
      3 Shadow Marks. As an action, you may rotate Dark Sinclair And pay 10
      Influence to replace *any* version of Ivanova With Laura Takeshiema(sp.)
      While Dark Sinclair is the Ambassador of the Human Faction, all Inner
      Circle characters Have their Intrigue doubled.

      Morden asked Sinclair "What do you want?" Sinclair sat Back in his
      chair so that the shadows enveloped him, and Replied "A promotion - and
      full 'control' of Babylon 5.'

      The second paragraph is the 'smaller' writing one finds at The bottom of
      the card. What's everyone's thoughts/opinions on this idea?
      Any chance someone out there might be able to make an "AU" card, using
      my idea?

      Charles W.
      pogomil@...
      wardcd@...

      PERSONAL
      This email is UNCLASSIFIED
    • curevei@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2010
        In a message dated 10/8/2010 8:00:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        WardCD@... writes:

        Had an idea for an "AU" card for Sinclair - "Dark Sinclair"
        L) 6
        I) 8
        D) 7
        Replace Cmdr. Sinclair with Dark Sinclair when he has
        3 Shadow Marks. As an action, you may rotate Dark Sinclair And pay 10
        Influence to replace *any* version of Ivanova With Laura Takeshiema(sp.)
        While Dark Sinclair is the Ambassador of the Human Faction, all Inner
        Circle characters Have their Intrigue doubled.

        * * *

        What are Cmdr. Sinclair's stats? Or, are you talking about Captain
        Sinclair?

        Either way, the replacement sounds pitifully easy to pull off (as most are)
        and the stat jump is fairly ridiculous. It would make more sense to leave
        his intrigue the same and give him +1 Intrigue per Shadow Mark, which is
        still ridiculous but, at least, makes the card more "natural".

        The replace Ivanova ability should be a search and replace, i.e. "As an
        action, apply 10 influence and rotate Dark Sinclair to search your hand, deck,
        or discard pile and replace any version of Susan Ivanova with Laurel
        Takashima." Otherwise, it's not remotely worth doing.

        Never use multiplication when designing cards. Yes, CCGs break this rule
        far too frequently, but multiplication is just ugly. Again, could make it
        something like "While Dark Sinclair is your ambassador, each of your Inner
        Circle characters gains Intrigue equal to the number of Shadow Marks
        attached to the character." or "While Dark Sinclair is your ambassador, for each
        Shadow Mark attached to one of your Inner Circle characters, that character
        has +2 Intrigue up to a maximum of +6 Intrigue." if you need more beef
        (that will disproportionately help characters who are already powerful).

        I'm not terribly clear on what the flavor of the character is supposed to
        be. That's okay - I don't think people got my AU cards. But, if it were
        clearer, it might be easier to come up with specials that didn't rely on
        number of Shadow Marks.

        By the way, I'd go with a name more like "Major J. Sinclair" or something
        that isn't basically a gamey nickname.

      • Ward, Charles D
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2010
          Hello Curevel,

          Interesting ideas; 1) "Major J. Sinclair" sounds a bit 'Armyish,' and
          while his rank would be of Captain, I was thinking along the lines of
          the "Dark Talya" card; but this could be an "AU" Capt. Sinclair....

          2) "As an
          action, apply 10 influence and rotate Dark Sinclair to search your hand,
          deck,
          or discard pile and replace any version of Susan Ivanova with Laurel
          Takashima." I'll go with that one<g.>

          3) How about, "While 'Captain Sinclair' is Human Ambassador, each Inner
          Circle Character's Intrigue gains 1 point."

          4) Ok, I'll 'tone down' the AU Sinclair's Intrigue - got to remember,
          he's in league with the Shadows, might even gain a Conspiracy Mark or
          two<g>; let's make it a "5" shall we?

          Diplomacy- he'll smooth talk his way through most anything if possible,
          and remember, he'll have the backing of EarthGov - shall we say "5"?

          Leadership- Ok, knock it down to a "5," or keep it at "6?"

          Charles Ward

          wardcd@...

          pogomil@...

          PERSONAL