Re: [B5CCG] Most Unusual Deck Design

  • David Conner
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
      No, there never was such an errata.

      I'm a bit fuzzy on this particular detail, but I believe Psi World does
      require Bester to be gone when you play the event. But even if it's not
      a strict requirement, it's desirable to get something out of him. What
      I'd generally do is either have him make a suicidal attack of some sort,
      or, more often, play one of the events where you neutralize one of your
      own characters for some beneficial effect (most likely Burnt From Both
      Ends.)

    • Gregory Stuart Pettigrew
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
        On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Daryl Poe <daryl@...> wrote:

        > > Most Unusual Deck You've Created
        > >

        > Hmm, I once made a Shadows "Maintain the Peace" deck. Which is just so
        > anti-thematic it was fun. Maintain the Peace was always hard to pull
        > off though, especially after the last expansion when the free Marata
        > Fleets started popping up: you needed 20 military just to play it, then
        > ten turns of "military suppression" to make it work. Not only is that
        > hard to do, the game sometimes ends of other causes before then.

        That's one of the reasons why my Maintain the Peace Deck uses Navigator
        Robertson and an Explorer Crusade Pile. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

        --
        - Gregory Stuart Burdick Pettigrew

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
          I am not playing with Crusade piles yet. Please could you ellaborate on that strategy?

          Thanks!
          Alex

          -- Sent from my Palm Prē
          On Aug 1, 2010 17:30, Gregory Stuart Pettigrew <gpettigrew@...> wrote:

          On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Daryl Poe <daryl@...> wrote:

          > > Most Unusual Deck You've Created

          > Hmm, I once made a Shadows "Maintain the Peace" deck. Which is just so

          > anti-thematic it was fun. Maintain the Peace was always hard to pull

          > off though, especially after the last expansion when the free Marata

          > Fleets started popping up: you needed 20 military just to play it, then

          > ten turns of "military suppression" to make it work. Not only is that

          > hard to do, the game sometimes ends of other causes before then.

          That's one of the reasons why my Maintain the Peace Deck uses Navigator

          Robertson and an Explorer Crusade Pile. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

          --

          - Gregory Stuart Burdick Pettigrew

          ------------------------------------

          Babylon 5 CCG Community E-list.

          Keep it fun, keep it friendly, enjoy.

          If you have problems with the list contact me at jaxb5ranger@....

          Also, check out www.epsilonhex.com for more information about the game!

          To unsubscribe email:

          <*> Your email settings:

          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:

          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

          b5ccglist-digest@yahoogroups.com

          b5ccglist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Daryl Poe
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
            I think the starting hand was Clark, Conscription, They're Killing Us,
            and Maintain the Peace. You'd play conscription to grab a human card
            (bound to be a Human fleet, since they were the only human cards in the
            deck) and win They're Killing Us. The rest of the deck was shadow
            fleets, shadow medallions, power play, shadow characters, neutral
            characters, etc. Strange Happenings was a good card to use to turn
            military conflicts to Diplomacy, since you don't care if diplomacy
            conflicts resolve or not.

            The problem with Marata fleets (8 military fleet/aftermath) was that
            Explorer piles were very popular in my group. So when almost everyone
            is getting 24 military of "free" fleets via Marata aftermaths, it made
            Maintain the Peace even harder to pull off -- sometimes that resulted in
            72 military of fleets that no one had to pay for.

            Daryl

            occasiary@... wrote:

            > I am not playing with Crusade piles yet. Please could you ellaborate
            > on that strategy?
            >
            > > Hmm, I once made a Shadows "Maintain the Peace" deck. Which is
            > just so
            >
            > > anti-thematic it was fun. Maintain the Peace was always hard to pull
            >
            > > off though, especially after the last expansion when the free Marata
            >
            > > Fleets started popping up: you needed 20 military just to play
            > it, then
            >
            > > ten turns of "military suppression" to make it work. Not only is that
            >
            > > hard to do, the game sometimes ends of other causes before then.
            >
            > &

          • Gregory Stuart Pettigrew
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
              On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM, occasiary@... <occasiary@...>wrote:

              > I am not playing with Crusade piles yet. Please could you ellaborate on
              > that strategy?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Alex

              The current Opening Hand is
              Neroon w/ Maintain the Peace, Minbari Homeworld Fleet (11 mil), and either
              Navigator Robertson (if I'm feeling lucky) or Conscription.

              The only Minbari cards in the deck are upgrades for Neroon and the bigger
              Minbari Fleets, so by the time I'm at 8 Influence, Conscription guarantees I
              have 20 Military on the table. I then replace the Homeworld Fleet and spare
              copies of my big Minbari Fleets with United Fleets later on.

              The explorer pile has 3xLt. Tewart, 3xProbes, 3xMarata Fleet, 3xThe Fen, and
              whatever else I'm feeling like. The deck uses Saber Rattling and other
              non-Military-Conflicts-where-Military-is-allowed to score Influence, as well
              as neutral Characters with Leadership (and G'Neb!!!) to win Wargames and
              Probes, which give me Influence and Marata Fleets, respectively.

              --
              - Gregory Stuart Burdick Pettigrew

            • Michael English
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
                My most unusual deck design was one where the objective was to force everybody to unconditionally surrender to me on the same turn. It was based on Lord Refa. I have no illusions about the likelihood of this deck actually winning as advertised. I played it once. My assessment was that it had about a 1% chance at the beginning of the game. After six hours play, I estimated that the deck's chances of winning had risen to about 10% - basically it hadn't lost yet and had achieved some of its interim objectives. However, the game was abandoned at that point, which was probably just as well. I have never played it again - it is certainly not a fun deck for anyone else at the table.

                Michael English

              • mtuthill2000
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
                  I think my most inventive and unusual deck was my N/A card drawing engine.

                  I was going though a stage of thinking card draw was everything so built a deck around it. If I remember correctly the deck was about 160 cards. I was really disappointed that in the one game I remember playing it I didn't deck myself (it was less than 10 cards short) Not bad for a tournament game so that would have been far less than 20 turns!

                  I forget the card names since they were not regularly played cards but it involved looking at the next X cards in the deck and then using cards where you predicted the next cards. Like the meditation where you can only keep the cards if the copyright data was after 1999 which of course I only played after I'd checked that the dates :)

                  Only problem was decking myself wasn't a victory condition, but it was very intense to play (trying to remember the order of all the cards) and a hell of a lot of fun.