RE: [B5CCG] Origins 2010 Event Overviews

  • Ward, Charles D
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
      Bill,

      Thanks for the update. Years ago it was a straight plane ride from
      DCA(Washington National)to Columbus, OH. But now that I and the Mrs.
      Are living in South Carolina, it's a bit different. Just curious - why
      did the Pokemon & Warlords players stop having their tourneys there?
      Are folks still able to 'check out' games to play(monopoly, etc?) How
      about the folks running the 'counters' games? Has that shrunk as well?

      Charles

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
        On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Ward, Charles D <WardCD@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        >
        > Thanks for the update. Years ago it was a straight plane ride from
        > DCA(Washington National)to Columbus, OH. But now that I and the Mrs.
        > Are living in South Carolina, it's a bit different. Just curious - why
        > did the Pokemon & Warlords players stop having their tourneys there?
        > Are folks still able to 'check out' games to play(monopoly, etc?) How
        > about the folks running the 'counters' games? Has that shrunk as well?
        >
        > Charles

        Both the Pokemon and Warlords people both stopped showing up last year. I
        do not know the reason why, but that accounted for almost half of the CCG
        room seats right there. As for the checking out of games area, yes, they
        still exist, but the rules have changed a little bit (I think). I believe
        that you now need a ribbon to use that service ($16 for unlimited access, $2
        per 2 hours otherwise). The counter games seem to still be going pretty
        well.

        Hrm. SC. Although I would normally use this opportunity to take a
        completely gratuitous swipe at SC, I do know that they still have air
        service down there (speaking as a resident of the only US state without
        scheduled air service) from Charleston, Atlanta, and others. However, given
        that I've given up flying to Origins and started driving 8 hours (chya ...
        right!) instead, I can understand. Would the train be attractive? Scratch
        that. Columbus doesn't have a train station. Ummmmm.....

        Someone help me out ... I need some fresh meat ... uhhh .... new blood in
        next year's tournament.

      • Michael English
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
          I checked out the travel arrangments for potential attendence next year. It's around 15 hours each way and something like $1,200US from here. A bit too much just for a game of B5. I'll have to persuade my wife that Columbus would make a good stop over on the way to Yellowstone or Hawaii or somewhere. Speaking as someone who's completely ignorant, what are the tourist attractions of Columbus? Art galleries would be good.

          Michael

          > Thanks for the update. Years ago it was a straight plane ride from
          > DCA(Washington National)to Columbus, OH. But now that I and the Mrs.
          > Are living in South Carolina, it's a bit different. Just curious - why
          > did the Pokemon & Warlords players stop having their tourneys there?
          > Are folks still able to 'check out' games to play(monopoly, etc?) How
          > about the folks running the 'counters' games? Has that shrunk as well?
          >
          > Charles

          Both the Pokemon and Warlords people both stopped showing up last year. I
          do not know the reason why, but that accounted for almost half of the CCG
          room seats right there. As for the checking out of games area, yes, they
          still exist, but the rules have changed a little bit (I think). I believe
          that you now need a ribbon to use that service ($16 for unlimited access, $2
          per 2 hours otherwise). The counter games seem to still be going pretty
          well.

          Hrm. SC. Although I would normally use this opportunity to take a
          completely gratuitous swipe at SC, I do know that they still have air
          service down there (speaking as a resident of the only US state without
          scheduled air service) from Charleston, Atlanta, and others. However, given
          that I've given up flying to Origins and started driving 8 hours (chya ...
          right!) instead, I can understand. Would the train be attractive? Scratch
          that. Columbus doesn't have a train station. Ummmmm.....

          Someone help me out ... I need some fresh meat ... uhhh .... new blood in
          next year's tournament.

        • William Lydick
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
            On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Michael English <
            michael.english@...> wrote:

            > I checked out the travel arrangments for potential attendence next year.
            > It's around 15 hours each way and something like $1,200US from here. A bit
            > too much just for a game of B5. I'll have to persuade my wife that Columbus
            > would make a good stop over on the way to Yellowstone or Hawaii or
            > somewhere. Speaking as someone who's completely ignorant, what are the
            > tourist attractions of Columbus? Art galleries would be good.
            >
            > Michael

            OK, yeah, I can see where some might say that. But it's B5! No price is
            too high ... unless I'm paying for it, in which case ...

            As for Columbus attractions, there's the Longaberger Factory (gotta throw
            that one in for the wives), the Columbus Zoo, the Center of Science &
            Industry (COSI), the Columbus Museum of Art, and others. Try
            http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/attractions.cfm?start=21&cat=all&keyword=&loc=all&cuisine=alland
            you should be able to scroll through the lists. Other things nearby
            are
            the Snake Mounds (if you like inexplicable burial mounds) and ... ummm ...
            some other stuff.

            Hope to see you there in 2011.

          • Alan Steinberg
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
              Not to hijack, but would there be an interest in a 2011 tournament at
              Comicpalooza in Houston, TX? The event is May 27-29, 2011. I know the
              gaming director, and he would be happy to work something into the schedule,
              if there is interest.

              Alan

              On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM, William Lydick <wlydick@...> wrote:

              > On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Michael English <
              > michael.english@...<michael.english%40menglish.force9.co.uk>>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > I checked out the travel arrangments for potential attendence next year.
              > > It's around 15 hours each way and something like $1,200US from here. A
              > bit
              > > too much just for a game of B5. I'll have to persuade my wife that
              > Columbus
              > > would make a good stop over on the way to Yellowstone or Hawaii or
              > > somewhere. Speaking as someone who's completely ignorant, what are the
              > > tourist attractions of Columbus? Art galleries would be good.
              > >
              > > Michael
              > >
              > OK, yeah, I can see where some might say that. But it's B5! No price is
              > too high ... unless I'm paying for it, in which case ...
              >
              > As for Columbus attractions, there's the Longaberger Factory (gotta throw
              > that one in for the wives), the Columbus Zoo, the Center of Science &
              > Industry (COSI), the Columbus Museum of Art, and others. Try
              >
              > http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/attractions.cfm?start=21&cat=all&keyword=&loc=all&cuisine=alland
              > you should be able to scroll through the lists. Other things nearby
              > are
              > the Snake Mounds (if you like inexplicable burial mounds) and ... ummm ...
              > some other stuff.
              >
              > Hope to see you there in 2011.

            • Michael English
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2010
                Bill,

                Thanks for the info. I'll be there next year if I can. Current chances estimated at about 5%.

                Michael

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 8, 2010
                  Bill,

                  Another question for you: Say you replace Sinclair with Capt.
                  Sinclair; the bring out "University Complex(s.)" That's supposed to add
                  to each level of the person. Now, if the Human faction joins the ISA
                  and Sinclair becomes ISA President via that card, his Leadership and
                  Diplomacy(both if I remember right?)are boosted. *But*, does he lose
                  that which he gained via University Complex(s?) as he no longer a
                  Captain, but now a President? *Or,* is it just added on?

                  Btw, a few years ago the wife and I took the train(overnighter) from SC
                  to DC, she's vowed "... never again.."

                  Charles

                  PERSONAL

                  This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

                  > Thanks for the update. Years ago it was a straight plane ride from
                  > DCA(Washington National)to Columbus, OH. But now that I and the Mrs.
                  > Are living in South Carolina, it's a bit different. Just curious - why
                  > did the Pokemon & Warlords players stop having their tourneys there?
                  > Are folks still able to 'check out' games to play(monopoly, etc?) How
                  > about the folks running the 'counters' games? Has that shrunk as well?
                  >
                  > Charles

                  Both the Pokemon and Warlords people both stopped showing up last year.
                  do not know the reason why, but that accounted for almost half of the
                  CCG
                  room seats right there. As for the checking out of games area, yes, they
                  still exist, but the rules have changed a little bit (I think). I
                  believe
                  that you now need a ribbon to use that service ($16 for unlimited
                  access, $2
                  per 2 hours otherwise). The counter games seem to still be going pretty
                  well.

                  Hrm. SC. Although I would normally use this opportunity to take a
                  completely gratuitous swipe at SC, I do know that they still have air
                  service down there (speaking as a resident of the only US state without
                  scheduled air service) from Charleston, Atlanta, and others. However,
                  given
                  that I've given up flying to Origins and started driving 8 hours (chya
                  right!) instead, I can understand. Would the train be attractive?
                  Scratch
                  that. Columbus doesn't have a train station. Ummmmm.....

                  Someone help me out ... I need some fresh meat ... uhhh .... new blood
                  in
                  next year's tournament.

                • Gregory Stuart Pettigrew
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 8, 2010
                    Nothing on the ISA President Card says they lose their previous titles.
                    Emperor Mollari II stays Emperor, Entil'zha Delenn stays Ranger One, etc. Or
                    is there some dream card I'm missing the relevance of?

                    On another wacky card title as card text note, does the card "Influential
                    Lords" count as a Lord for the purposes of replacing Lord Refa?

                    - Gregory Stuart Burdick Pettigrew

                  • William Lydick
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 8, 2010

                      > Bill,
                      >
                      > Another question for you: Say you replace Sinclair with Capt.
                      > Sinclair; the bring out "University Complex(s.)" That's supposed to add
                      > to each level of the person. Now, if the Human faction joins the ISA
                      > and Sinclair becomes ISA President via that card, his Leadership and
                      > Diplomacy(both if I remember right?)are boosted. *But*, does he lose
                      > that which he gained via University Complex(s?) as he no longer a
                      > Captain, but now a President? *Or,* is it just added on?

                      Well, here's the text for ISA President:

                      Irrevocable. Limited. ISA. Target the ambassador of an ISA member. The
                      target gains +4 Diplomacy, +2 Intrigue, +2 Leadership, and the text ISA
                      President. The target's controller gets an additional vote in ISA Votes. The
                      target may participate in any conflict that targets or was initiated by an
                      ISA member, regardless of restrictions on which race or faction may
                      participate. Discard this card if you are not an ISA member.

                      Nowhere in the effect of ISA President does it change the title of the
                      Captain Sinclair card, so any bonuses that Captain Sinclair gets from his
                      card title remain in effect (by my read, anyway). However, look at the
                      University Complex card:

                      Target a location loyal to its controller's race. All Aides, Agents and
                      Captains loyal to the target location's race gain +1 to their starting
                      ability. This bonus is not cumulative with other University Complexes.

                      The key word here is "ability". If the Captain in question has more than
                      one printed ability, I would say that the Captain is not eligible. In fact,
                      the rulings list states that explicitly:

                      Rule/Card: University Complex Relates to: Captain Pierce
                      2000/03/02
                      Captain Sheridan and Captain Sinclair do not gain a bonus from University
                      Complex since it refers to a (single) ability and Captain Sinclair/Sheridan
                      have more than 1 ability. Since Captain Pierce has only one ability, he will
                      gain a bonus from University Complex.

                      Rule/Card:University Complex Relates to:
                      1999/01/14
                      The bonus from University Complex does not apply to the Ambitious Captain

                      Ultimately, the answer is that Captain Sheridan cannot get the bonus from
                      University Complex in the first place.

                      Sorry.

                      > Btw, a few years ago the wife and I took the train(overnighter) from SC
                      > to DC, she's vowed "... never again.."

                      Having ridden Amtrak, I can empathize...

                    • Ward, Charles D
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 9, 2010
                        Bill,

                        Well - you've certainly shot down some of my strategy(mumble, mumble.)
                        So much for an Ambassador of Capt. Sinclair, and a row of Capt. Ivanova,
                        Capt. Lochley, Captain Pierce, and that multiple Captain<vbg.> Oh well
                        - back to the drawing board.

                        Charles

                        PERSONAL

                        This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 9, 2010
                          Sorry. Had to be done <vvbg>

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                            Bill,

                            Would you happen to have any 'dupes' of Captain Pierce available?
                            Please let me know what you'd ask in return and I can check to see if I
                            have that.

                            Charles

                            PERSONAL
                            This email is UNCLASSIFIED

                            > Well - you've certainly shot down some of my strategy(mumble, mumble.)

                            > So much for an Ambassador of Capt. Sinclair, and a row of Capt.
                            > Ivanova, Capt. Lochley, Captain Pierce, and that multiple
                            > Captain<vbg.> Oh well
                            > - back to the drawing board.
                            >

                            > Charles
                            >
                            > PERSONAL
                            >
                            > This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

                          • Clayton Webster II
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                              Charles,

                              I have an extra Captain Pierce. I've got ya.

                              Clay

                              To: b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 7, 2011
                                Hello William,

                                do you already know what date the 2011 Origins Tournament would be scheduled?

                                I am currently thinking of getting some money together for a trip to the US
                                and maybe Origins would fit into that.

                                Thanks!
                                Alex

                                On Wednesday 30 June 2010 05:02:46 you wrote:
                                > Well, Origins 2010 is done and the two B5 CCG events are over. Nothing to
                                > do but sit and wait for 2011 ... well, that and try for once to work on my
                                > decks...
                                >
                                > Here is a really quick highlight of the events...
                                >
                                > The Anlashok/Vorlons event was a disappointment this year, given that there
                                > were a whole two of us. However, we did get to play a few decks and I got
                                > to finally see someone get fully decked in a game in under 2 hours. I
                                > played a Corporate deck in both games that we played, and the first round
                                > got my head handed to me. The second round I was able to hold my own.
                                > However, neither round really seemed to work with the intent of the deck
                                > (corporate faction protected by Corporations Go On generating enough fake
                                > influence to do anything that they needed). I honestly do not remember
                                > what Robert's decks were supposed to do, mostly because the first round I
                                > was too busy getting slaughtered by fleets and the second round I was too
                                > busy stealing influence from him. Hopefully, Robert can fill in some of
                                > the blanks...
                                >
                                > The Annual Tournament was a low-turnout event this year, as well. We had a
                                > total of six players, but everybody seemed to have a good time and there
                                > were only a few players that didn't play each other (two humans, one of
                                > each of the others: League never saw Narn, Minbari never saw Centauri,
                                > Humans never saw each other). We played three (roughly) 90-minute rounds.
                                > Brian Rapp scored standard victories in two rounds and a major victory in
                                > the third with his Narn Never Again deck. My Psi Corps deck worked rather
                                > well in a spoiler role, but kept getting overpowered and ending up in
                                > second place. Robert's Centauri Shadow deck was the most aggressive out
                                > there, which made the round between Brian's fleets, my Psi, and Robert's
                                > Intrigue kind of interesting. The other three decks all played well
                                > enough that nobody got up and left the tournament (it happened last year,
                                > though). Everybody enjoyed it and the low number of players meant that I
                                > had very little administrative overhead between rounds.
                                >
                                > Next year (Origins 2011), I'm requiring that all proxies are photocopies or
                                > printouts (from Vorlon Space or elsewhere) of the original card in a
                                > sleeve. However, there is also some discussion as to whether or not to
                                > allow the Anlashok and Vorlon cards into the Annual Tournament. The idea
                                > met with an average reaction of lukewarm, so I'll keep looking at it.
                                >
                                > I realize that this is vague, but I'm still recovering from the drive back.
                                > I wanted to get something written before too long passed, but I really
                                > don't have a lot to write.

                              • William Lydick
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 7, 2011
                                  At the current time, the Annual Tournament is slated for 10am on Saturday
                                  June 25th. The Social Tournament is still up-in-the-air, but I'm leaning
                                  towards Friday morning at 10am (6/24).

                                  We would love to have you there and everyone gets prize support out of my
                                  personal stash ... which hasn't gotten any smaller despite my wife's house
                                  cleaning efforts of the past few months.

                                  On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Alexander Schneider <occasiary@...>wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > Intrigue kind of interesting. The other three decks all played well
                                  > > enough that nobody got up and left the tournament (it happened last year,
                                  > > though). Everybody enjoyed it and the low number of players meant that I
                                  > > had very little administrative overhead between rounds.
                                  > >
                                  > > Next year (Origins 2011), I'm requiring that all proxies are photocopies
                                  > or
                                  > > printouts (from Vorlon Space or elsewhere) of the original card in a
                                  > > sleeve. However, there is also some discussion as to whether or not to
                                  > > allow the Anlashok and Vorlon cards into the Annual Tournament. The idea
                                  > > met with an average reaction of lukewarm, so I'll keep looking at it.
                                  > >
                                  > > I realize that this is vague, but I'm still recovering from the drive
                                  > back.
                                  > > I wanted to get something written before too long passed, but I really

                                • Albert Vest
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 9, 2011
                                    On 02/07/11 22:11, William Lydick wrote:
                                    > At the current time, the Annual Tournament is slated for 10am on Saturday
                                    > June 25th. The Social Tournament is still up-in-the-air, but I'm leaning
                                    > towards Friday morning at 10am (6/24).

                                    I'm leaning toward actually being there again this year - haven't
                                    registered for Origins yet, but can probably get some days off in June.

                                    --
                                    http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS_A.html
                                    Albert Vest, Al Vest at Brakiri dot com