RE: [B5CCG] Origins 2010 Event Overviews

  • Ward, Charles D
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010
      Hya Every Body!!!!

      Wish I could make it back to Origins again like the "good ole days"
      aka 'Before marriage'<vbg.> Now, if I knew some folks would be selling
      some "Bella Sara" cards, or having a 'tournament,' that *might* be just
      the thing to get the wife to go along with spending the $$ on airfare,
      hotel, etc... But, gosh -- I **miss** that auditorium with wall to wall
      ccg players...and that "Dealer's Room." And here I've been 'paring
      down' my 'Human Deck,' hoping against hope that **someday,** I'd be able
      to hear someone's voice once again ring out **Conspiracy!!**
      Charles W.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010
        Heya Charles...

        The auditorium full of CCG players is gone. The dealer's room is still
        pretty great, but the CCG areas have been kinda barren as of late (2-3
        years), with the departure of the Pokemon and Warlords players. It's been
        quieter, too.

        As for getting there, where are you coming from?

        Bill Lydick

        On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Ward, Charles D <WardCD@...> wrote:

        > Hya Every Body!!!!
        >
        > Wish I could make it back to Origins again like the "good ole days"
        > aka 'Before marriage'<vbg.> Now, if I knew some folks would be selling
        > some "Bella Sara" cards, or having a 'tournament,' that *might* be just
        > the thing to get the wife to go along with spending the $$ on airfare,
        > hotel, etc... But, gosh -- I **miss** that auditorium with wall to wall
        > ccg players...and that "Dealer's Room." And here I've been 'paring
        > down' my 'Human Deck,' hoping against hope that **someday,** I'd be able
        > to hear someone's voice once again ring out **Conspiracy!!**
        > Charles W.

      • William Lydick
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 30, 2010
          Heya Chris,

          I've been trying to keep the Annual Tournament on Saturdays so that the
          locals can attend without having to take time off from work if they don't
          want to. There are several that only attend on the weekend and in the
          evenings.

          However, I would be willing to talk about moving the Thursday evening event
          to Friday morning. I had been keeping Fridays open to get my Mayfair
          ribbon-crack, but my wife and I have a plan to get all of the ribbons next
          year without spending unending amounts of time in the dealer's room.
          Frankly, if I lost any more attendees for the Thursday evening event, I'd be
          _really_ lonely...

          Bill Lydick

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
            Bill,

            Thanks for the update. Years ago it was a straight plane ride from
            DCA(Washington National)to Columbus, OH. But now that I and the Mrs.
            Are living in South Carolina, it's a bit different. Just curious - why
            did the Pokemon & Warlords players stop having their tourneys there?
            Are folks still able to 'check out' games to play(monopoly, etc?) How
            about the folks running the 'counters' games? Has that shrunk as well?

            wrote:

            > Hya Every Body!!!!
            >
            > Wish I could make it back to Origins again like the "good ole days"
            > aka 'Before marriage'<vbg.> Now, if I knew some folks would be selling
            > some "Bella Sara" cards, or having a 'tournament,' that *might* be
            just
            > the thing to get the wife to go along with spending the $$ on airfare,
            > hotel, etc... But, gosh -- I **miss** that auditorium with wall to
            wall
            > ccg players...and that "Dealer's Room." And here I've been 'paring
            > down' my 'Human Deck,' hoping against hope that **someday,** I'd be
            able
            > to hear someone's voice once again ring out **Conspiracy!!**
            > Charles W.

            groups.comYahoo>!
            > Groups Links

          • William Lydick
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
              On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Ward, Charles D <WardCD@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > Thanks for the update. Years ago it was a straight plane ride from
              > DCA(Washington National)to Columbus, OH. But now that I and the Mrs.
              > Are living in South Carolina, it's a bit different. Just curious - why
              > did the Pokemon & Warlords players stop having their tourneys there?
              > Are folks still able to 'check out' games to play(monopoly, etc?) How
              > about the folks running the 'counters' games? Has that shrunk as well?
              >
              > Charles

              Both the Pokemon and Warlords people both stopped showing up last year. I
              do not know the reason why, but that accounted for almost half of the CCG
              room seats right there. As for the checking out of games area, yes, they
              still exist, but the rules have changed a little bit (I think). I believe
              that you now need a ribbon to use that service ($16 for unlimited access, $2
              per 2 hours otherwise). The counter games seem to still be going pretty
              well.

              Hrm. SC. Although I would normally use this opportunity to take a
              completely gratuitous swipe at SC, I do know that they still have air
              service down there (speaking as a resident of the only US state without
              scheduled air service) from Charleston, Atlanta, and others. However, given
              that I've given up flying to Origins and started driving 8 hours (chya ...
              right!) instead, I can understand. Would the train be attractive? Scratch
              that. Columbus doesn't have a train station. Ummmmm.....

              Someone help me out ... I need some fresh meat ... uhhh .... new blood in
              next year's tournament.

            • Michael English
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                I checked out the travel arrangments for potential attendence next year. It's around 15 hours each way and something like $1,200US from here. A bit too much just for a game of B5. I'll have to persuade my wife that Columbus would make a good stop over on the way to Yellowstone or Hawaii or somewhere. Speaking as someone who's completely ignorant, what are the tourist attractions of Columbus? Art galleries would be good.

                Michael

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                  On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Michael English <
                  michael.english@...> wrote:

                  > I checked out the travel arrangments for potential attendence next year.
                  > It's around 15 hours each way and something like $1,200US from here. A bit
                  > too much just for a game of B5. I'll have to persuade my wife that Columbus
                  > would make a good stop over on the way to Yellowstone or Hawaii or
                  > somewhere. Speaking as someone who's completely ignorant, what are the
                  > tourist attractions of Columbus? Art galleries would be good.
                  >
                  > Michael

                  OK, yeah, I can see where some might say that. But it's B5! No price is
                  too high ... unless I'm paying for it, in which case ...

                  As for Columbus attractions, there's the Longaberger Factory (gotta throw
                  that one in for the wives), the Columbus Zoo, the Center of Science &
                  Industry (COSI), the Columbus Museum of Art, and others. Try
                  http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/attractions.cfm?start=21&cat=all&keyword=&loc=all&cuisine=alland
                  you should be able to scroll through the lists. Other things nearby
                  are
                  the Snake Mounds (if you like inexplicable burial mounds) and ... ummm ...
                  some other stuff.

                  Hope to see you there in 2011.

                • Alan Steinberg
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Not to hijack, but would there be an interest in a 2011 tournament at
                    Comicpalooza in Houston, TX? The event is May 27-29, 2011. I know the
                    gaming director, and he would be happy to work something into the schedule,
                    if there is interest.

                    Alan

                    On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM, William Lydick <wlydick@...> wrote:

                    > On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Michael English <
                    > michael.english@...<michael.english%40menglish.force9.co.uk>>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > I checked out the travel arrangments for potential attendence next year.
                    > > It's around 15 hours each way and something like $1,200US from here. A
                    > bit
                    > > too much just for a game of B5. I'll have to persuade my wife that
                    > Columbus
                    > > would make a good stop over on the way to Yellowstone or Hawaii or
                    > > somewhere. Speaking as someone who's completely ignorant, what are the
                    > > tourist attractions of Columbus? Art galleries would be good.
                    > >
                    > > Michael
                    > >
                    > OK, yeah, I can see where some might say that. But it's B5! No price is
                    > too high ... unless I'm paying for it, in which case ...
                    >
                    > As for Columbus attractions, there's the Longaberger Factory (gotta throw
                    > that one in for the wives), the Columbus Zoo, the Center of Science &
                    > Industry (COSI), the Columbus Museum of Art, and others. Try
                    >
                    > http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/attractions.cfm?start=21&cat=all&keyword=&loc=all&cuisine=alland
                    > you should be able to scroll through the lists. Other things nearby
                    > are
                    > the Snake Mounds (if you like inexplicable burial mounds) and ... ummm ...
                    > some other stuff.
                    >
                    > Hope to see you there in 2011.

                  • Michael English
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3, 2010
                      Bill,

                      Thanks for the info. I'll be there next year if I can. Current chances estimated at about 5%.

                      Michael

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 8, 2010
                        Bill,

                        Another question for you: Say you replace Sinclair with Capt.
                        Sinclair; the bring out "University Complex(s.)" That's supposed to add
                        to each level of the person. Now, if the Human faction joins the ISA
                        and Sinclair becomes ISA President via that card, his Leadership and
                        Diplomacy(both if I remember right?)are boosted. *But*, does he lose
                        that which he gained via University Complex(s?) as he no longer a
                        Captain, but now a President? *Or,* is it just added on?

                        Btw, a few years ago the wife and I took the train(overnighter) from SC
                        to DC, she's vowed "... never again.."

                        Charles

                        PERSONAL

                        This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

                        > Thanks for the update. Years ago it was a straight plane ride from
                        > DCA(Washington National)to Columbus, OH. But now that I and the Mrs.
                        > Are living in South Carolina, it's a bit different. Just curious - why
                        > did the Pokemon & Warlords players stop having their tourneys there?
                        > Are folks still able to 'check out' games to play(monopoly, etc?) How
                        > about the folks running the 'counters' games? Has that shrunk as well?
                        >
                        > Charles

                        Both the Pokemon and Warlords people both stopped showing up last year.
                        do not know the reason why, but that accounted for almost half of the
                        CCG
                        room seats right there. As for the checking out of games area, yes, they
                        still exist, but the rules have changed a little bit (I think). I
                        believe
                        that you now need a ribbon to use that service ($16 for unlimited
                        access, $2
                        per 2 hours otherwise). The counter games seem to still be going pretty
                        well.

                        Hrm. SC. Although I would normally use this opportunity to take a
                        completely gratuitous swipe at SC, I do know that they still have air
                        service down there (speaking as a resident of the only US state without
                        scheduled air service) from Charleston, Atlanta, and others. However,
                        given
                        that I've given up flying to Origins and started driving 8 hours (chya
                        right!) instead, I can understand. Would the train be attractive?
                        Scratch
                        that. Columbus doesn't have a train station. Ummmmm.....

                        Someone help me out ... I need some fresh meat ... uhhh .... new blood
                        in
                        next year's tournament.

                      • Gregory Stuart Pettigrew
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 8, 2010
                          Nothing on the ISA President Card says they lose their previous titles.
                          Emperor Mollari II stays Emperor, Entil'zha Delenn stays Ranger One, etc. Or
                          is there some dream card I'm missing the relevance of?

                          On another wacky card title as card text note, does the card "Influential
                          Lords" count as a Lord for the purposes of replacing Lord Refa?

                          - Gregory Stuart Burdick Pettigrew

                        • William Lydick
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 8, 2010

                            > Bill,
                            >
                            > Another question for you: Say you replace Sinclair with Capt.
                            > Sinclair; the bring out "University Complex(s.)" That's supposed to add
                            > to each level of the person. Now, if the Human faction joins the ISA
                            > and Sinclair becomes ISA President via that card, his Leadership and
                            > Diplomacy(both if I remember right?)are boosted. *But*, does he lose
                            > that which he gained via University Complex(s?) as he no longer a
                            > Captain, but now a President? *Or,* is it just added on?

                            Well, here's the text for ISA President:

                            Irrevocable. Limited. ISA. Target the ambassador of an ISA member. The
                            target gains +4 Diplomacy, +2 Intrigue, +2 Leadership, and the text ISA
                            President. The target's controller gets an additional vote in ISA Votes. The
                            target may participate in any conflict that targets or was initiated by an
                            ISA member, regardless of restrictions on which race or faction may
                            participate. Discard this card if you are not an ISA member.

                            Nowhere in the effect of ISA President does it change the title of the
                            Captain Sinclair card, so any bonuses that Captain Sinclair gets from his
                            card title remain in effect (by my read, anyway). However, look at the
                            University Complex card:

                            Target a location loyal to its controller's race. All Aides, Agents and
                            Captains loyal to the target location's race gain +1 to their starting
                            ability. This bonus is not cumulative with other University Complexes.

                            The key word here is "ability". If the Captain in question has more than
                            one printed ability, I would say that the Captain is not eligible. In fact,
                            the rulings list states that explicitly:

                            Rule/Card: University Complex Relates to: Captain Pierce
                            2000/03/02
                            Captain Sheridan and Captain Sinclair do not gain a bonus from University
                            Complex since it refers to a (single) ability and Captain Sinclair/Sheridan
                            have more than 1 ability. Since Captain Pierce has only one ability, he will
                            gain a bonus from University Complex.

                            Rule/Card:University Complex Relates to:
                            1999/01/14
                            The bonus from University Complex does not apply to the Ambitious Captain

                            Ultimately, the answer is that Captain Sheridan cannot get the bonus from
                            University Complex in the first place.

                            Sorry.

                            > Btw, a few years ago the wife and I took the train(overnighter) from SC
                            > to DC, she's vowed "... never again.."

                            Having ridden Amtrak, I can empathize...

                          • Ward, Charles D
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 9, 2010
                              Bill,

                              Well - you've certainly shot down some of my strategy(mumble, mumble.)
                              So much for an Ambassador of Capt. Sinclair, and a row of Capt. Ivanova,
                              Capt. Lochley, Captain Pierce, and that multiple Captain<vbg.> Oh well
                              - back to the drawing board.

                              Charles

                              PERSONAL

                              This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 9, 2010
                                Sorry. Had to be done <vvbg>

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                                  Bill,

                                  Would you happen to have any 'dupes' of Captain Pierce available?
                                  Please let me know what you'd ask in return and I can check to see if I
                                  have that.

                                  Charles

                                  PERSONAL
                                  This email is UNCLASSIFIED

                                  > Well - you've certainly shot down some of my strategy(mumble, mumble.)

                                  > So much for an Ambassador of Capt. Sinclair, and a row of Capt.
                                  > Ivanova, Capt. Lochley, Captain Pierce, and that multiple
                                  > Captain<vbg.> Oh well
                                  > - back to the drawing board.
                                  >

                                  > Charles
                                  >
                                  > PERSONAL
                                  >
                                  > This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

                                • Clayton Webster II
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                                    Charles,

                                    I have an extra Captain Pierce. I've got ya.

                                    Clay

                                    To: b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 7, 2011
                                      Hello William,

                                      do you already know what date the 2011 Origins Tournament would be scheduled?

                                      I am currently thinking of getting some money together for a trip to the US
                                      and maybe Origins would fit into that.

                                      Thanks!
                                      Alex

                                      On Wednesday 30 June 2010 05:02:46 you wrote:
                                      > Well, Origins 2010 is done and the two B5 CCG events are over. Nothing to
                                      > do but sit and wait for 2011 ... well, that and try for once to work on my
                                      > decks...
                                      >
                                      > Here is a really quick highlight of the events...
                                      >
                                      > The Anlashok/Vorlons event was a disappointment this year, given that there
                                      > were a whole two of us. However, we did get to play a few decks and I got
                                      > to finally see someone get fully decked in a game in under 2 hours. I
                                      > played a Corporate deck in both games that we played, and the first round
                                      > got my head handed to me. The second round I was able to hold my own.
                                      > However, neither round really seemed to work with the intent of the deck
                                      > (corporate faction protected by Corporations Go On generating enough fake
                                      > influence to do anything that they needed). I honestly do not remember
                                      > what Robert's decks were supposed to do, mostly because the first round I
                                      > was too busy getting slaughtered by fleets and the second round I was too
                                      > busy stealing influence from him. Hopefully, Robert can fill in some of
                                      > the blanks...
                                      >
                                      > The Annual Tournament was a low-turnout event this year, as well. We had a
                                      > total of six players, but everybody seemed to have a good time and there
                                      > were only a few players that didn't play each other (two humans, one of
                                      > each of the others: League never saw Narn, Minbari never saw Centauri,
                                      > Humans never saw each other). We played three (roughly) 90-minute rounds.
                                      > Brian Rapp scored standard victories in two rounds and a major victory in
                                      > the third with his Narn Never Again deck. My Psi Corps deck worked rather
                                      > well in a spoiler role, but kept getting overpowered and ending up in
                                      > second place. Robert's Centauri Shadow deck was the most aggressive out
                                      > there, which made the round between Brian's fleets, my Psi, and Robert's
                                      > Intrigue kind of interesting. The other three decks all played well
                                      > enough that nobody got up and left the tournament (it happened last year,
                                      > though). Everybody enjoyed it and the low number of players meant that I
                                      > had very little administrative overhead between rounds.
                                      >
                                      > Next year (Origins 2011), I'm requiring that all proxies are photocopies or
                                      > printouts (from Vorlon Space or elsewhere) of the original card in a
                                      > sleeve. However, there is also some discussion as to whether or not to
                                      > allow the Anlashok and Vorlon cards into the Annual Tournament. The idea
                                      > met with an average reaction of lukewarm, so I'll keep looking at it.
                                      >
                                      > I realize that this is vague, but I'm still recovering from the drive back.
                                      > I wanted to get something written before too long passed, but I really
                                      > don't have a lot to write.

                                    • William Lydick
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 7, 2011
                                        At the current time, the Annual Tournament is slated for 10am on Saturday
                                        June 25th. The Social Tournament is still up-in-the-air, but I'm leaning
                                        towards Friday morning at 10am (6/24).

                                        We would love to have you there and everyone gets prize support out of my
                                        personal stash ... which hasn't gotten any smaller despite my wife's house
                                        cleaning efforts of the past few months.

                                        On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Alexander Schneider <occasiary@...>wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > Intrigue kind of interesting. The other three decks all played well
                                        > > enough that nobody got up and left the tournament (it happened last year,
                                        > > though). Everybody enjoyed it and the low number of players meant that I
                                        > > had very little administrative overhead between rounds.
                                        > >
                                        > > Next year (Origins 2011), I'm requiring that all proxies are photocopies
                                        > or
                                        > > printouts (from Vorlon Space or elsewhere) of the original card in a
                                        > > sleeve. However, there is also some discussion as to whether or not to
                                        > > allow the Anlashok and Vorlon cards into the Annual Tournament. The idea
                                        > > met with an average reaction of lukewarm, so I'll keep looking at it.
                                        > >
                                        > > I realize that this is vague, but I'm still recovering from the drive
                                        > back.
                                        > > I wanted to get something written before too long passed, but I really

                                      • Albert Vest
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 9 5:55 PM
                                          On 02/07/11 22:11, William Lydick wrote:
                                          > At the current time, the Annual Tournament is slated for 10am on Saturday
                                          > June 25th. The Social Tournament is still up-in-the-air, but I'm leaning
                                          > towards Friday morning at 10am (6/24).

                                          I'm leaning toward actually being there again this year - haven't
                                          registered for Origins yet, but can probably get some days off in June.

                                          --
                                          http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS_A.html
                                          Albert Vest, Al Vest at Brakiri dot com