Re: [B5CCG] Re: War Minbari Deck - How to improve?

  • Michael English
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
      If you are playing with the virtual sets, Valen's Gift openings work well for Military orientated decks with both Delenn and Neroon. Typically these would be my Minbari military starts of choice; with Delenn you can start retrieving the White Star Wings and with Neroon you can get both Windswords and Warrior Caste out early. This approach also gives you access to various ranger characters to supply the much needed intrigue. Indeed starting with Delenn (Transformer), Anlashok, Ranger Operative and Valen's Gift, you may be able to out intrigue the Centauri in the early stages.

      You might want to consider using the conflict Surgical Strike to discard Knowledge Is Power. It also gives you a plausible excuse to feed neutral players as to why you have to declare war against the Centauri.

      A military conflict that does not get much exposure, but which I have recently found rather useful against character heavy decks is Forced Down.

      Hope this helps.

      Michael

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
        Hm... I do not have a lot of cards from the Wheel of Fire and Crusade
        sets... and both conflicts (Surgical Strike and Forced Down) are
        missing, so no chance of using those. :) But they are both really
        great. Thanks for point them out to me! (Note to myself to get some
        more of the Crusade and WoF cards.)

        I like the idea with the Minbari Anla'Shok deck... have to try to
        alter the war deck a bit. :)

        Great weekend to all!
        Alex

        On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Michael English
        <michael.english@...> wrote:
        > If you are playing with the virtual sets, Valen's Gift openings work well for Military orientated decks with both Delenn and Neroon.  Typically these would be my Minbari military starts of choice; with Delenn you can start retrieving the White Star Wings and with Neroon you can get both Windswords and Warrior Caste out early.  This approach also gives you access to various ranger characters to supply the much needed intrigue.  Indeed starting with Delenn (Transformer), Anlashok, Ranger Operative and Valen's Gift, you may be able to out intrigue the Centauri in the early stages.
        >
        > You might want to consider using the conflict Surgical Strike to discard Knowledge Is Power.  It also gives you a plausible excuse to feed neutral players as to why you have to declare war against the Centauri.
        >
        > A military conflict that does not get much exposure, but which I have recently found rather useful against character heavy decks is Forced Down.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Michael

        Alexander Schneider
        Address: Haspelstr. 10, 35037 Marburg, Germany
        Mobile: +49 176 62358692
      • Jonathan Gan
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
          The only good thing about a 'dead' card game is there isn't much of a taboo
          against using proxies. For the virtual cards, it's required. What my group
          does is get some adhesive backed letter size paper, and print the cards on
          them 8 (i think) to a sheet. Then we cut them out and stick them to the one
          of the hundreds of copies of Lovell or Declaration of War we have kicking
          around and boom, instant card. YMMV, but for us, this works perfectly.

          --
          http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/heralds-of-the-crescent-moon

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
            In a message dated 2/26/2010 4:13:54 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            occasiary@... writes:

            but does it slow down Knowledge is Power? No.

            * * *

            Why do you need to slow KiP down?

            They spend influence to steal an influence from you each turn. Your Annex
            Neutral Worlds and Show the Colors gain you 2 every turn and don't cost
            anything. Assuming equal cheese factors by both decks, you break even in the
            race and have more influence to spend a turn. Okay, you need one of these
            conflicts a turn for this sort of hypothetical race, but that's not
            terribly hard as you can draw cards off of the extra influence you have over the
            other deck.

            If the deck starts using conflict cards, annihilate them with You Are Not
            Ready. In which case, you easily win an influence race.

            Trying to defend against something is rarely as good as doing things
            positive for yourself. "There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers." -
            Whichever Magic player supposedly said it first. Of course, You Are Not Ready
            is so broken as a defense that there's no reason not to play it. And, so
            forth.

          • Ward, Charles D
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
              Nice to see you folks again; got a favor to ask - I'll be retiring from
              my position at State here at the end of the year, could someone change
              my settings with the group so mail will go to my *home* address,
              pogomil@...? Thanks! C.W.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                Hi.

                Try this deck, or follow the link on the bottom of the page to check my other decks. This is a Military deck, makes it a lot easier to win than with a pure war deck.
                If you don't have enough Crusade card this deck deck works without the Crusade pile.

                Tor

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Charles,

                  You would have to update your own Yahoo account for this.

                  Manuel

                  _____

                  pogomil@aol. <mailto:pogomil%40aol.com> com? Thanks! C.W.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Manuel,

                    If I remembered my yahoo account, that would be great - but it's been
                    *so* long I've forgotten a) my yahoo ID and b) my yahoo password.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                      https://edit.yahoo.com/forgotroot?done=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2F&src=fpc
                      tx&partner=&intl=us

                      You can try and recover your details with this, however if that fails I
                      don't think there is anything a moderator can do (I'm not sure about a group
                      owner, but Devin hasn't been heard of in years).

                      I've also put in a request for you profile perhaps that has some details you
                      might be able to extract. Failing all that you can simply create a new
                      account and sign up with that.

                      Manuel

                      _____

                      From: b5ccglist@yahoogrou <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                        Thanks, I've fwd' this to my home address; that's where this mail
                        *should* have been going in the first place- how things got messed up I
                        don't know - I take the blame anyway..

                        From: b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com>

                        From: b5ccglist@yahoogrou <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com

                        From: b5ccglist@yahoogrou <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com

                        From: b5ccglist@yahoogrou <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
[...]

                      • Alexander Schneider
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                          Hi Tor,

                          was the deck an attachment? I cannot see the card list or the link to
                          the webpage.

                          Thanks,
                          Alex

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                            Forgot the link: http://members.fortunecity.com/torste4/narn.military.deck.html

                          • jollyrogercjf@ymail.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 24 11:54 AM
                              I don't know if you've figured out how to make this deck work for you, but the crusade common, Duel to the Death, sounds like exactly what you need. Pretty much anyone without a military is dead to this card, not a lot you can do to stop it. Plus you should have enough power playing Mimbari to win by at least 10 so you can buy it back next turn.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 24 9:46 PM
                                Thanks for the input. I will check it out.
                                (several moments later)
                                Wow, really good. :) Love it!

                                In the mean time, the deck kind of works against my opponent quite ok.
                                It is not perferct and severally slow in the beginning, however as soon
                                as my stuff is out there, I am a good opponent.

                                Just out of curiosity I have built my first Narn deck and this one
                                really rocks here: the combo GKar + Ko'Dath + Build Infrastructure is
                                the best way how to keep up with the starting 7 influence of Londo the
                                Gambler and be quick as hell to even steal his initiative the moment we
                                both have the same amount of influence. :) Loved this! :) With Thenta
                                Makur and enough characters who possess not only D but also I, there is
                                little the Centauri can do. Hihi...

                                Wish you all a nice weekend,
                                Alex