Re: [B5CCG] Re: War Minbari Deck - How to improve?

  • Michael English
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
      War decks have not tended to prosper here either. I can't recall one ever
      winning. In a recent game, the Minbari player declared war on the humans,
      only to have both human factions, one of which was the Psi Corps, declare
      and win war conflicts against him the next turn. Indeed in later turns the
      B5 Human faction opposed some of the Psi Corp's war conflicts - very odd
      game that one.

      Michael

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
        If you are playing with the virtual sets, Valen's Gift openings work well for Military orientated decks with both Delenn and Neroon. Typically these would be my Minbari military starts of choice; with Delenn you can start retrieving the White Star Wings and with Neroon you can get both Windswords and Warrior Caste out early. This approach also gives you access to various ranger characters to supply the much needed intrigue. Indeed starting with Delenn (Transformer), Anlashok, Ranger Operative and Valen's Gift, you may be able to out intrigue the Centauri in the early stages.

        You might want to consider using the conflict Surgical Strike to discard Knowledge Is Power. It also gives you a plausible excuse to feed neutral players as to why you have to declare war against the Centauri.

        A military conflict that does not get much exposure, but which I have recently found rather useful against character heavy decks is Forced Down.

        Hope this helps.

        Michael

        I am not really sure about the Delenn opening hand - Lennier and Our Own People First sounds good, but does it really work out with the aftermath strategy of Legacy of Power? Sounds rather tricky to me. :)

        I was rather thinking of something along the lines of blanking the agenda or slowing it down. In the article Factional Inertia is mentioned, but does it slow down Knowledge is Power? No. So that does not give me an advantage. I also very much doubt that Minbari Fighting Pikes (or what the name is) are something to scary people off from using intrigue conflicts. Well, maybe who knows... With the right pack. :)

        Also: Obstacles to Victory. Does not work against Conflict producing agendas, or?

        Cheers,
        Alex

        -- Sent from my Palm Prē
        Wes Brown wrote:

        I have to agree with David here. Decks build around war conflicts are

        traditionally hard to manage. It is possible to do with Narn or Centauri

        and an opening hand tailored to suit, but quite the challenge for the other

        races.

        Now military decks are another matter entirely. My favorite

        military-oriented starts for Minbari are either:

        -- Delenn (promoter), Lennier, Our Own People First, Legacy of Power

        or

        -- Neroon, Minbari Captain, Wind Swords, Build Infrastructure

        From either of those starting points, you can pack the deck with fleets,

        Grey Council Members, and tons of conflict cards. The Delenn start lends

        itself to a more balanced deck (diplomacy/military) and makes good use of

        Approval of the Grey. The Neroon start is decidedly more hostile and focused

        more around a pure military approach to influence, often forgoing any

        additional sources of power and working towards victory on influence alone

        (at least the way I build and play mine).

        The Minbari as a race have something of a natural weakness against

        intrigue. That's not to say they can't be competitive with the right mix of

        cards in the deck, just that you might have to work at it more than the

        other races. Lennier, Coplann, and Trulann are great assets in this

        particular battle, and there's always intrigue to be found among neutrals if

        you're willing to dish out the influence (Marcus Cole, for example). Some

        of the Grey Council members have a tick here or there, and it can add up.

        Military and intrigue have similar playstyles in B5 the way they tend gain

        influence while stealing it from someone else; however, they tend to play

        snake to the other's mongoose, often targetting each other with conflicts in

        an attempt to slow each other down.

        --Wes

        On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM, David <djconner@...> wrote:

        > Hey, cool, I didn't know about Reocities - nice to know some old Geocities

        > sites are being preserved!

        > As for the deck, I think the general problem is that "war" decks as such

        > don't work very well - true even in the early releases, but even more so

        > over time. Basically, it's too easy for the "neutral" players to mess things

        > up for you in various ways. The Total War agenda helps, but a deck built

        > around Military (and Leadership) Conflict cards will work better.

        ------------------------------------

        Babylon 5 CCG Community E-list.

        Keep it fun, keep it friendly, enjoy.

        If you have problems with the list contact me at jaxb5ranger@....

        Also, check out www.epsilonhex.com for more information about the game!

        To unsubscribe email:

        <*> Your email settings:

        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:

        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        b5ccglist-digest@yahoogroups.com

        b5ccglist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Alexander Schneider
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
          Hm... I do not have a lot of cards from the Wheel of Fire and Crusade
          sets... and both conflicts (Surgical Strike and Forced Down) are
          missing, so no chance of using those. :) But they are both really
          great. Thanks for point them out to me! (Note to myself to get some
          more of the Crusade and WoF cards.)

          I like the idea with the Minbari Anla'Shok deck... have to try to
          alter the war deck a bit. :)

          Great weekend to all!
          Alex

          On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Michael English
          <michael.english@...> wrote:
          > If you are playing with the virtual sets, Valen's Gift openings work well for Military orientated decks with both Delenn and Neroon.  Typically these would be my Minbari military starts of choice; with Delenn you can start retrieving the White Star Wings and with Neroon you can get both Windswords and Warrior Caste out early.  This approach also gives you access to various ranger characters to supply the much needed intrigue.  Indeed starting with Delenn (Transformer), Anlashok, Ranger Operative and Valen's Gift, you may be able to out intrigue the Centauri in the early stages.
          >
          > You might want to consider using the conflict Surgical Strike to discard Knowledge Is Power.  It also gives you a plausible excuse to feed neutral players as to why you have to declare war against the Centauri.
          >
          > A military conflict that does not get much exposure, but which I have recently found rather useful against character heavy decks is Forced Down.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Michael

          Alexander Schneider
          Address: Haspelstr. 10, 35037 Marburg, Germany
          Mobile: +49 176 62358692
        • Jonathan Gan
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
            The only good thing about a 'dead' card game is there isn't much of a taboo
            against using proxies. For the virtual cards, it's required. What my group
            does is get some adhesive backed letter size paper, and print the cards on
            them 8 (i think) to a sheet. Then we cut them out and stick them to the one
            of the hundreds of copies of Lovell or Declaration of War we have kicking
            around and boom, instant card. YMMV, but for us, this works perfectly.

            --
            http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/heralds-of-the-crescent-moon

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 27, 2010
              In a message dated 2/26/2010 4:13:54 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              occasiary@... writes:

              but does it slow down Knowledge is Power? No.

              * * *

              Why do you need to slow KiP down?

              They spend influence to steal an influence from you each turn. Your Annex
              Neutral Worlds and Show the Colors gain you 2 every turn and don't cost
              anything. Assuming equal cheese factors by both decks, you break even in the
              race and have more influence to spend a turn. Okay, you need one of these
              conflicts a turn for this sort of hypothetical race, but that's not
              terribly hard as you can draw cards off of the extra influence you have over the
              other deck.

              If the deck starts using conflict cards, annihilate them with You Are Not
              Ready. In which case, you easily win an influence race.

              Trying to defend against something is rarely as good as doing things
              positive for yourself. "There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers." -
              Whichever Magic player supposedly said it first. Of course, You Are Not Ready
              is so broken as a defense that there's no reason not to play it. And, so
              forth.

            • Ward, Charles D
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                Nice to see you folks again; got a favor to ask - I'll be retiring from
                my position at State here at the end of the year, could someone change
                my settings with the group so mail will go to my *home* address,
                pogomil@...? Thanks! C.W.

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Hi.

                  Try this deck, or follow the link on the bottom of the page to check my other decks. This is a Military deck, makes it a lot easier to win than with a pure war deck.
                  If you don't have enough Crusade card this deck deck works without the Crusade pile.

                  Tor

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Charles,

                    You would have to update your own Yahoo account for this.

                    Manuel

                    _____

                    pogomil@aol. <mailto:pogomil%40aol.com> com? Thanks! C.W.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                      Manuel,

                      If I remembered my yahoo account, that would be great - but it's been
                      *so* long I've forgotten a) my yahoo ID and b) my yahoo password.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                        https://edit.yahoo.com/forgotroot?done=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2F&src=fpc
                        tx&partner=&intl=us

                        You can try and recover your details with this, however if that fails I
                        don't think there is anything a moderator can do (I'm not sure about a group
                        owner, but Devin hasn't been heard of in years).

                        I've also put in a request for you profile perhaps that has some details you
                        might be able to extract. Failing all that you can simply create a new
                        account and sign up with that.

                        Manuel

                        _____

                        From: b5ccglist@yahoogrou <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                          Thanks, I've fwd' this to my home address; that's where this mail
                          *should* have been going in the first place- how things got messed up I
                          don't know - I take the blame anyway..

                          From: b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com>

                          From: b5ccglist@yahoogrou <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com

                          From: b5ccglist@yahoogrou <mailto:b5ccglist%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                            Hi Tor,

                            was the deck an attachment? I cannot see the card list or the link to
                            the webpage.

                            Thanks,
                            Alex

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                              Forgot the link: http://members.fortunecity.com/torste4/narn.military.deck.html

                            • jollyrogercjf@ymail.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 24, 2010
                                I don't know if you've figured out how to make this deck work for you, but the crusade common, Duel to the Death, sounds like exactly what you need. Pretty much anyone without a military is dead to this card, not a lot you can do to stop it. Plus you should have enough power playing Mimbari to win by at least 10 so you can buy it back next turn.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 24, 2010
                                  Thanks for the input. I will check it out.
                                  (several moments later)
                                  Wow, really good. :) Love it!

                                  In the mean time, the deck kind of works against my opponent quite ok.
                                  It is not perferct and severally slow in the beginning, however as soon
                                  as my stuff is out there, I am a good opponent.

                                  Just out of curiosity I have built my first Narn deck and this one
                                  really rocks here: the combo GKar + Ko'Dath + Build Infrastructure is
                                  the best way how to keep up with the starting 7 influence of Londo the
                                  Gambler and be quick as hell to even steal his initiative the moment we
                                  both have the same amount of influence. :) Loved this! :) With Thenta
                                  Makur and enough characters who possess not only D but also I, there is
                                  little the Centauri can do. Hihi...

                                  Wish you all a nice weekend,
                                  Alex