Re: [B5CCG] 2007 Origins Annual B5 Tournament Placings

  • curevei@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2007
      In a message dated 7/24/2007 7:51:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      wlydick@... writes:

      ... The winning deck was determined by group concensus to be "Total
      Cheese" and will be submerged in a vat of hot near-cheese (ie -
      Velveeta at the concession stand) if it shows up next year. The
      winner agreed to retire the deck instead.

      * * *

      Wasn't the winning deck a Foment Discord deck? Isn't it massively easier to
      get two people to a 5 unrest than three?

      It may suck to play against Foment Discord whether it wins or not (much like
      it sucks to play against any Drakh deck, ever), but we usually saw it fail
      because it couldn't "get" everybody.

      Not that I was there, but having played a lot of 3-player games, I would have
      encouraged heavily having 4-player tables.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2007
        curevei@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 7/24/2007 7:51:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        > wlydick@... writes:
        >
        > ... The winning deck was determined by group concensus to be "Total
        > Cheese" and will be submerged in a vat of hot near-cheese (ie -
        > Velveeta at the concession stand) if it shows up next year. The
        > winner agreed to retire the deck instead.
        >

        > * * *
        >
        > Wasn't the winning deck a Foment Discord deck? Isn't it massively easier to
        > get two people to a 5 unrest than three?
        > Not that I was there, but having played a lot of 3-player games, I would have
        > encouraged heavily having 4-player tables.

        But I want it both ways! Decks that are competitive against 3 or more
        opponents, without being too much of a challenge for only two, gaining
        their advantage "honestly" instead of by using "cheese." And I want
        them to grow influence very quickly, so it doesn't take all day to play.

        Is that too much to ask? ;-)

        --
        Albert Vest, al vest at earth link dot net
      • William Lydick
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2007
          I think the real objection to the deck was that the requirements for the
          Major Victory didn't include having more power than anybody else. This made
          it far too easy to just boost everybody else to 5 Unrest and then declare a
          win.

          As for the seating, I try to make sure that everybody plays different
          opponents each round. To me, that's more important than four players at the
          table. But, that's merely opinion...

          Bill

          On 7/25/07, alvest@... <alvest@...> wrote:

          > curevei@... <curevei%40aol.com> wrote:
          > >
          > > In a message dated 7/24/2007 7:51:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > > wlydick@... <wlydick%40gmail.com> writes:
          > >
          > > ... The winning deck was determined by group concensus to be "Total
          > > Cheese" and will be submerged in a vat of hot near-cheese (ie -
          > > Velveeta at the concession stand) if it shows up next year. The
          > > winner agreed to retire the deck instead.
          > >

          > > * * *
          > >
          > > Wasn't the winning deck a Foment Discord deck? Isn't it massively easier
          > > get two people to a 5 unrest than three?
          > > Not that I was there, but having played a lot of 3-player games, I would
          > have
          > > encouraged heavily having 4-player tables.
          >
          > But I want it both ways! Decks that are competitive against 3 or more
          > opponents, without being too much of a challenge for only two, gaining
          > their advantage "honestly" instead of by using "cheese." And I want
          > them to grow influence very quickly, so it doesn't take all day to play.
          >
          > Is that too much to ask? ;-)
          >
          > --
          > Albert Vest, al vest at earth link dot net

        • Jonathan Gan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2007
            Is it possible to post a few of the decks? I must say I am very interested
            to see what was out there.

            On 7/26/07, William Lydick <wlydick@...> wrote:

            > I think the real objection to the deck was that the requirements for the
            > Major Victory didn't include having more power than anybody else. This
            > made
            > it far too easy to just boost everybody else to 5 Unrest and then declare
            > win.
            >
            > As for the seating, I try to make sure that everybody plays different
            > opponents each round. To me, that's more important than four players at
            > the
            > table. But, that's merely opinion...
            >
            > Bill
            >
            > On 7/25/07, alvest@... <alvest%40earthlink.net> <
            > alvest@... <alvest%40earthlink.net>> wrote:
            > >
            > > curevei@... <curevei%40aol.com> <curevei%40aol.com> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > In a message dated 7/24/2007 7:51:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            > > > wlydick@... <wlydick%40gmail.com> <wlydick%40gmail.com> writes:
            > > >
            > > > ... The winning deck was determined by group concensus to be "Total
            > > > Cheese" and will be submerged in a vat of hot near-cheese (ie -
            > > > Velveeta at the concession stand) if it shows up next year. The
            > > > winner agreed to retire the deck instead.
            > > >

            > > > * * *
            > > >
            > > > Wasn't the winning deck a Foment Discord deck? Isn't it massively
            > easier
            > > > get two people to a 5 unrest than three?
            > > > Not that I was there, but having played a lot of 3-player games, I
            > would
            > > have
            > > > encouraged heavily having 4-player tables.
            > >
            > > But I want it both ways! Decks that are competitive against 3 or more
            > > opponents, without being too much of a challenge for only two, gaining
            > > their advantage "honestly" instead of by using "cheese." And I want
            > > them to grow influence very quickly, so it doesn't take all day to play.
            > >
            > > Is that too much to ask? ;-)
            > >
            > > --
            > > Albert Vest, al vest at earth link dot net

            "There's a generation of men, now aged about 22-32, who if Optimus Prime
            marched down their street, they would drop everything and follow him into
            battle. Maybe the greatest leader our planet has ever known."

            From a Fark.com Article