RE: [B5CCG] Re: B5 Movie news

  • Magnus Persson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
      Ok,I'm not only Swedish (non-blond) but a teacher as well, irony is lost on
      me: you DON'T want more B5 on the screen? And secondly, you DON'T like
      Return of the King?

      /Magnus

      ----Original Message Follows----

      Here's the article RevolutionSF.com asked me to write about it:

      http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=3379

      --Van

      Fynda charter till solen http://www.msn.se/resor/
    • Van Plexico
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
        Well, part of it is that I was specifically asked to be "snarky" about
        it...

        And part of it is that I do honestly believe that short, self-contained B5
        stories are not nearly as good as the grand, five-year-long saga we all love
        so much-- everything after that is, IMO, anticlimactic. (Some would argue
        the entirety of season 5, aside from "Sleeping in Light," was one big
        anticlimax-- though with justifiable, production-related reasons why that is
        so.)

        If this work produces something on the order of "River of Souls" or
        "Thirdspace," then.... ehhhh, okay. Y'know? Nothing world-shaking, but
        nice, cute little B5 stories, very self-contained and "small."

        Seeing more B5, and seeing my two favorite characters-- Sheridan and Galen--
        back in action again; yeah, that's great. But B5 works better IMO as a
        grand, long saga than as "short stories," and I don't have a lot of hope
        that these will give us anything close to the drama and power of a
        typical third or fourth season episode of the series.

        What I really want is either a middle/big budget cinematic film, to bring in
        more fans and kick-start the franchise.... or else CRUSADE started up again
        (since it was to be a long, dramatic saga, like the original B5 series).
        Since we're never getting the latter (as JMS sadly confirmed for me at
        HeroesCon in June), and JMS killed the former.... we get these. So, yeah,
        I'm sort of disappointed.

        But my tone in that article was way more cynical than how I really feel.

        --Van

        Ok,I'm not only Swedish (non-blond) but a teacher as well, irony is lost on
        me: you DON'T want more B5 on the screen? And secondly, you DON'T like
        Return of the King?

        /Magnus

        ----Original Message Follows----

        Here's the article RevolutionSF.com asked me to write about it:

        http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=3379

        --Van

      • Albert Vest
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
          On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:26:04 -0600
          "Van Plexico" <vplexico@...> wrote:

          > ... (Some would argue
          > the entirety of season 5, aside from "Sleeping in Light," was one big
          > anticlimax--

          Not I. Season 4 held such a major climax, such a cosmic watershed, that everyone needed time to sort out what they had to do next. Not just individuals but whole races. As Dr. Kyle said, "every molecule in the universe changed." The war was won, but the winners were left in social/emotional/financial free fall. I'm glad we got Season 5, with its internal "spiritual climaxes" of character stories (such as Michael Garibaldi, and Lennier), rather than just an "American Graffiti" style summary ending with a still & a caption for each person.

          --
          Albert Vest, al vest at earth link dot net
        • Van Plexico
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
            A fair point, Al... I think part of it, for me, is knowing how much better
            (IMO) season 5 would have been, if JMS had been able to stick to his
            original timetable. Having the EarthWar end several episodes into season 5
            (around the same point where the ShadowWar ended in season 4) would have
            made the rest of S5 more compressed, exciting, and forward-moving, I think.
            Instead, he had to cram everything into season 4, and wasn't really left
            with much to *do* in year 5, aside from the sorting-out business you
            described.

            And, ironically, even though I just decried stand-alone B5 stories, I would
            argue that the best parts of season 5 were the stand-alones, such as
            "Sleeping in Light," "The Corps is...", and "Day of the Dead." I enjoyed
            those much more than the normal, week-to-week episodes of year 5.

            --Van