The Man In Between

  • Michael English
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2006
      Hi Bruce and others,

      In a game yesterday somebody played The Man In Between". We weren't too
      clear what was meant by the last sentence on his card text "Suspend all
      Power Bonuses." Does this mean that:

      (1) Influence only counts as power (i.e. as To Stand Alone or We Are Not
      Impressed);
      (2) Power from Agendas such as Growth In Chaos counts as does permanent
      power from, say, Seizing Advantage, but other sources such as Detailed Data
      Analysis does not;
      (3) Something else?

      In the game we eventually went with (2) simply because this was what the
      person who built the deck had thought the text meant when he built it.

      What we were agreed on is that negative power such as from a Collaboration
      is unaffected.

      Having though about it a bit more, I think interpretation (2) makes the card
      a bit too powerful when used with Growth In Chaos, since The Man In Between
      already gives at least +1 influence and despite his 20 cost which is easily
      dealt with by Mr Morden.

      Michael English
    • Bruce Mason
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2006
        On 08/10/06, Michael English <michael.english@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bruce and others,
        >
        > In a game yesterday somebody played The Man In Between". We weren't too
        > clear what was meant by the last sentence on his card text "Suspend all
        > Power Bonuses." Does this mean that:
        >
        > (1) Influence only counts as power (i.e. as To Stand Alone or We Are Not
        > Impressed);
        > (2) Power from Agendas such as Growth In Chaos counts as does permanent
        > power from, say, Seizing Advantage, but other sources such as Detailed Data
        > Analysis does not;
        > (3) Something else?
        >
        > In the game we eventually went with (2) simply because this was what the
        > person who built the deck had thought the text meant when he built it.
        >
        > What we were agreed on is that negative power such as from a Collaboration
        > is unaffected.

        Absolutely anything which reads gain or lose power is unaffected.
        Power Bonuses (such as Growth in Chaos or Support of the Mighty) is
        affected. Generally, anything which reads "COUNT + X power" (or COUNT
        -X power) is a Power Bonus.

        Hope that helps

        Bruce
      • Michael English
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2006
          Thanks Bruce for that clarification. It's a tribute to the good work you've done that this has been about the first real uncertainty we've had in interpreting your cards in nearly two years worth of play.

          Michael English

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2006
            On 10/10/06, Michael English <michael.english@...> wrote:
            > Thanks Bruce for that clarification. It's a tribute to the good work you've done that this has been about the first real uncertainty we've had in interpreting your cards in nearly two years worth of play.
            No problems - glad to be of help.

            Cheers
            Bruce
          • James T Kirk
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2006
              Hi Bruce

              Was just wondering if there's going to be any new updates on the next set of
              cards?

              thx
              Mike

              Find a baby-sitter FAST with MSN Search! http://search.msn.ie/
            • Bruce Mason
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 10, 2006
                On 10/10/06, James T Kirk <ruddex@...> wrote:
                > Hi Bruce
                >
                > Was just wondering if there's going to be any new updates on the next set of
                > cards?

                Not for a while yet, I'm afraid. I suspect that January's the first
                chance I'm likely to get. They will be done though.

                Sorry
                Bruce