[B5CCG] Origins tourney rules question

  • Christian Herr
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 16, 2006
      Hey all, (and especially Bill Lydick)

      My play group and I had a few questions about rules for the
      upcoming tournamet, as you are using only the PsiCorp editon
      Precedence rules, and wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

      In Babylon 5 CCG, it doesn't seem clear when you search for a
      card, if you have to reveal it to your opponents to verify that it is
      what you are looking for.
      If we have a card that allows us to search for the first card with
      Wife of Lando on it, and we find the first card, do we have to reveal
      what it is to the table?

      Also, with ISN or other cards that allow you to use cards from
      outside the game. Will people who wish to make use of this have to
      have a side deck of cards that are outside the game?

      Looking forward to Origins-

      Chris
      Wash DC

      --- In b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com, "William Lydick" <wlydick@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey Chris,
      >
      > Yes, the only acceptable cards are going to be from sets through
      (and
      > including) Crusade. Promo cards that were parts of these sets
      published by
      > Precedence are fine. I know I'll be using them. :-) If you get
      there
      > early (~9 AM), you can probably do some trading with other players
      while I'm
      > setting things up. I'm probably not going to bring out my "extras"
      pile
      > this year, but I know there are plenty of players that are looking
      for that
      > one final card.
      >
      > If you wish to use either photocopies or reprints of cards (as
      Crusade stacks,) they will need
      > to meet certain criteria:
      > 1) Your entire deck must be sleeved with identical sleeves, with
      the
      > Crusade-type card and your starting ambassador being exceptions,
      since they
      > are effectively played before the game starts.
      > 2) There must be a real B5CCG card behind the copy to give the
      sleeve the
      > same "shuffle feel" as the rest of the deck.
      > 3) The copy must fit into the sleeve without making it obvious
      that it is a
      > copy (ie - not sticking out the top or bulging the sleeve)
      > 4) Please don't abuse this allowance (ie - an all Rare copies deck
      or all
      > Promos copies deck)
      > 5) The GM has the final say.
      >
      > If you want to submit your Crusade stacklist to me in advance, with
      the
      > copies clearly marked, that should help resolve some of my concerns
      about
      > copies. However, remember that I will also be playing and may be an
      > opponent of yours ...
      >
      > The PsiCorps ruleset (1.3) was the last one revised bu Precedence,
      I think.
      > We will be using the ruleset that was effective once Crusade came
      out,
      > including all of the official erratta that was published at that
      time. I
      > think that PDF is still around. I will have a printed copy of it
      at the
      > tournament for reference.
      >
      > You can participate either by signing up specifically for the event
      or by
      > bringing enough generics widgets to cover the event cost. Either
      way is
      > acceptable. There _should_ also be a place to get generics in the
      hall,
      > too, since it's been there in years past, but I make no guarantees.
      >
      > There will probably also be a pick-up game on Sunday, as well, but
      that's
      > usually finalized after the Saturday tournament, based on schedules
      and
      > interest.
      >
      > Bill Lydick
      >

      > On 4/21/06, mephis@... <mephis@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey there,
      > > So, for my buddies that are coming with me to Origins this year
      and want
      > > to play B5, I'll tell them that at this event:
      > >
      > > No virtual sets, only official Precedence cards (I assume
      physical promo
      > > cards from Precedence are fine.)
      > >
      > > Copies of cards can be used with permission. (For Crusade
      stacks....
      > > (As I said earlier, my buddies and I use some printed cards in
      our
      > > crusade stacks. If it's the entire 20 card crusade deck of
      copies with
      > > cards behind them in sleeves, but the core deck itself is all
      normal
      > > Precedence published cards, I assume that fine? Can we submit
      our crusade
      > > stack decklist to you to ensure that you don't have a problem?)
      > >
      > > Conflict stacks sound cool, I'll see if I can work up a local
      event in
      > > DC to test that out. : )
      > >
      > > Questions:
      > > Will we be using the latest Precedence rulebook (Psi-corp?) as
      the
      > > current rule set? I know some rules have come out, like the
      Engine rules,

    • curevei@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 17, 2006
        In a message dated 6/16/2006 12:28:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        mephis@... writes:
        Hey all, (and especially Bill Lydick)

        My play group and I had a few questions about rules for the
        upcoming tournamet, as you are using only the PsiCorp editon
        Precedence rules, and wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

        In Babylon 5 CCG, it doesn't seem clear when you search for a
        card, if you have to reveal it to your opponents to verify that it is
        what you are looking for.
        If we have a card that allows us to search for the first card with
        Wife of Lando on it, and we find the first card, do we have to reveal
        what it is to the table?

        Also, with ISN or other cards that allow you to use cards from
        outside the game. Will people who wish to make use of this have to
        have a side deck of cards that are outside the game?

        * * *

        Historically, you did not have to reveal cards unless the effect stated so.
        I've only played in tournaments where outside of game cards came from the
        reserve (i.e. sideboard).

      • William Lydick
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 17, 2006
          On 6/17/06, curevei@... <curevei@...> wrote:
          > In a message dated 6/16/2006 12:28:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          >
          > mephis@... writes:
          > Hey all, (and especially Bill Lydick)
          >
          > My play group and I had a few questions about rules for the
          > upcoming tournamet, as you are using only the PsiCorp editon
          > Precedence rules, and wanted to make sure we were on the same page.
          >
          > In Babylon 5 CCG, it doesn't seem clear when you search for a
          > card, if you have to reveal it to your opponents to verify that it is
          > what you are looking for.
          > If we have a card that allows us to search for the first card with
          > Wife of Lando on it, and we find the first card, do we have to reveal
          > what it is to the table?
          >
          > Also, with ISN or other cards that allow you to use cards from
          > outside the game. Will people who wish to make use of this have to
          > have a side deck of cards that are outside the game?
          >

          > * * *
          >
          > Historically, you did not have to reveal cards unless the effect stated so.
          > I've only played in tournaments where outside of game cards came from the
          > reserve (i.e. sideboard).

          1) No, you do not have to reveal it to the table at large. If there
          is a question about the validity of what you are drarwing, I would
          agree that the table can request that I (as the tournament sponsor)
          verify that you have drawn a legitimate card. However, after a few
          times, I might start to refuse to check it ...

          2) Any card that comes in from outside of the game _must_ come from
          your sideboard of no more than 20 cards.

          Anyone who wants to submit substitution cards needs to get the list in
          to me ASAP if you want there to be no chance of me rejecting it
          onsite. If you do submit a list or wish to use substitutions, please
          keep it to a bare minimum.

          I am still working on gathering enough cards to make decent conflict
          piles per David Conner's rules (posted a while ago). If I am unable
          to gather enough, then I may scrap the idea and go with a stock
          tournament.

          Bill Lydick
        • Manuel Tuthill
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
            I'd just like to say a quick sorry for anyone who might have sent messages
            that haven't appeared on the list recently.

            It appears that Yahoo in their infinite wisdom have implemented a new spam
            "feature" that has caught several members out and set the moderators default
            notification to off . I've changed my preferences so that I'm alerted if
            anything does get caught again and would advise any other moderators to do
            the same.

            If your post was made within the last 14 days it should be coming through
            shortly, if it was before this time it appears that it will have been
            deleted.

            Once again apologies to anyone who may be inconvenienced by this.

            Manuel
          • Bill Lydick
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
              Origins 2006 B5 Tournament Report

              Well, Origins 2006 is over and I finally have the time and energy to write a
              B5 tournament synopsis for the mailing list. Most of the information will
              be related to the broad details of what the decks did, with the other
              players who are on the list being more able to provide details as to what
              was in each deck and how each table really went. I've also BCC'ed this to
              the players who provided me with email information. I will send out a
              separate posting with the cards in my Narn deck, just so that people can
              understand the finishing agenda from round 1...

              I'm hoping that everyone had fun at the tournament and I'd like to see 20
              (or more) players at next year's tournament, which will be at 10am on
              Saturday, July 7th. Clear your calendars now ...

              FORMAT -
              Standard 3-round tournament, with Conflict Piles added.

              CONFLICT PILES -
              David Conner's Conflict Piles were used. In the first round, one table got
              Terrorist Bombings as the first card (ugh). Their second conflict wasn't
              much better. Those players then understandably became the most vocal
              opponents of the Conflict Piles. The concensus of the entire group at the
              end was that the piles (as I had constructed them) did not make the game
              noticeably longer in most instances, but threw some really chaotic elements
              into the game. From my perspective, it seemed that I was taking conflicts
              from the piles more in self-defense than out of my desire to use them.

              We had 5 Conflict Piles. Each pile was moved to a different table between
              rounds so that no player had the chance to "get to know" a specific Pile. I
              'll list their cards below in the following format ... Card - #Pile1 -
              #Pile2 - #Pile3 - #Pile4 - #Pile5:
              Total Counts - 73 - 72 - 71 - 72 - 74
              Diplomacy Conflicts:
              A Brighter Future - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1
              Acknowledge Legitimacy - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1
              Campaign for Support - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2
              Cease-Fire - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0
              Complete Support - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1
              Condemn Deportations - 1 (all)
              Defense Treaty - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0
              Demonstrative Victory - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0
              Diplomatic Intrusion - 1 (all)
              Extreme Sanction - 1 (all)
              Free Trade - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1
              Leaving the Past - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 2
              Medical Database - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1
              Mindwipe - 1 (all)
              Non-Agression Pact - 1 (all)
              Parliament of Dreams - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1
              Proof of Genocide - 1 (all)
              Psi Suppressors - 2 (all)
              Statement of Position - 1 (all)
              Strange Bedfellows - 1 (all)
              Universal Policeman - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1
              Watch Your Back - 1 (all)
              We Say It's Over - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0
              Intrigue Conflicts:
              Bio-Weapon Discovery - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1
              Black Market - 1 (all)
              Call Their Bluff - 1 (all)
              Death of Kosh - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0
              Dishonor - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1
              Doomed Conspiracy - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1
              Extermination - 1 (all)
              Free the Souls - 1 (all)
              Hate Crime - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0
              Hunter, Prey - 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1
              Kidnapping - 2 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 2
              Muddy the Waters - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 2
              Na'Ka'Leen Feeder - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 1
              Planet-Wide Unrest - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1
              Purge the Disloyal - 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0
              Put on the Squeeze - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1
              Removed from Power - 2 (all)
              Reverse Engineering - 1 (all)
              Sabotage - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0
              Sowing Unrest - 1 (all)
              Temptations - 1 (all)
              Terrorist Bombings - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0
              The Upper Hand - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1
              Undermine Trust - 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1
              Witness Protection - 1 (all)
              Military/Leadership Conflicts:
              High-Tech Weapons - 2 (all)
              Trial By Fire - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3
              Attack Outpost - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0
              Blockade - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1
              Blow The Jump Gate - 1 (all)
              Dogfight - 1 (all)
              Establish Base - 1 (all)
              Out Of My Sky - 2 (all)
              Peacekeeping - 1 (all)
              Prohibited Area - 1 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 2
              Raid Shipping - 1 (all)
              Reign of Terror - 2 (all)
              Survey in Force - 1 (all)
              Psi Conflicts:
              Divide and Conquer - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1
              Empathy - 1 (all)
              Hole in Your Mind - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0
              Maintain Control - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0
              Make Them Angry - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 1
              No Surprises - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0
              Stealing Secrets - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0
              Subtle Influences - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1
              Telepathic Scan - 1 (all)
              We Think Alike - 1 (all)
              Other Conflicts:
              Wheel of Fire - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 1
              Question Authority - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2
              Penultimate Revenge - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1
              Handy Dandy Micro Helper - 1 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0
              Compensation - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0

              PLAYERS: 16 (vs 13 in 2005, 12 in 2004, 15 Sat & 7 Sun in 2003)
              - Bill Lydick, Chris Birkmaier, Alec Burns, Brian Rapp, Josh Johnson, James
              Allen, Sean Amicucci, Robert Atkinson, Rob Stephens, Judson Scott, Albert
              Vest, Frank Barlow, Trey Howard, Rachel Thurston, Christian Herr, Matthew
              Monroe

              Because there were 5 players wanting Centauri and 5 wanting Human, I decided
              to go with 5 tables - four of 3 and one of 4. This gave everyone their
              first choice deck. I've decided to not publish the player names associated
              with their standings information. If the players want to admit to their
              placings, they can do so... All of the information below came from the
              table scorecards, so if it's incorrect or makes no sense (the -8 power hit
              someone had listed), it's not my fault.

              Player ID [Table R1 R2 R3] - Crusade Pile - Starting Ambassador - Final
              Points:
              - Centauri [5] (didn't move between rounds)-
              - - C1 [111] - None - Premiere Londo - 15
              - - C2 [222] - None - Refa - 25
              - - C3 [333] - Legacy - Diplomat Londo - 39
              - - C4 [444] - None - Premiere Londo - 8
              - - C5 [555] - Explorer - Diplomat Londo - 11
              - Human [5] -
              - - H1 [123] - None - Extra Card Sheridan - 27 (appears to have started ISA
              at each table)
              - - H2 [234] - None - Sinclair - 16
              - - H3 [345] - Legacy - Extra Card Sheridan - 26
              - - H4 [451] - Explorer - Extra Card Sheridan - 36 (seemed to be an Unrest
              Drakh deck - used You Are Expendible immediately)
              - - H5 [512] - Crusade - William Morgan Clark - 15 (another Drakh Deck)
              - Minbari [2] -
              - - M1 [135] - Crusade - Premiere Delenn - 40
              - - M2 [241] - None - Neroon - 10
              - Narn [2] -
              - - N1 [352] - Legacy - Na'Far - 16 (GM Bill Lydick)
              - - N2 [413] - Explorer - Extra Card G'Kar - 11
              - Non-Aligned [2] -
              - - L1 [524] - None - Vizak - 33
              - - L2 [142] - Corporate - Miziri Tal - 24

              Player ID - End Amb - End Agenda - Inf/Power - Place - Pts (SV indicates
              Standard Victory)
              Round 1 Results:
              Table #1: Shadow War NO, ISA YES, WANI
              C1 - <same> - Growth In Chaos - 11/10 - 4 - 1
              H1 - <same> - Peace in Our Time - 14/13 - 3 - 4
              M1 - <same> - Our Own People First - 22/22 - 1 - 16 (SV)
              L2 - <same> - Peaceful Unification - 15/15 - 2 - 8
              Table #2: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C2 - Emperor Refa - A Rising Power - 18/22 - 1 - 16 (SV)
              H2 - Captain Sinclair - Build Infrastructure - 20/21 - 2 - 7
              M2 - <same> - None - 18/19 - 3 - 2
              Table #3: Shadow War NO, ISA NO - 3 Legacy Piles
              C3 - <same> - None - 21/22 - 1 - 16 (SV)
              H3 - <same> - Our Own People First - 19/18 - 2 - 7
              N1 - Councillor Na'Far - Challenge Psi Corps - 10/12 - 3 - 2
              Table #4: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C4 - Lord Mollari - Lure of Shadows - 10/10 - 3 - 2
              H4 - Rimush - Muster Support - 15/15 - 1 - 12
              N2 - <same> - Onslaught (hidden) - 11/11 - 2 - 7
              Table #5: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C5 - <same> - A Rising Power - 14/14 - 3 - 2
              H5 - Councillor Lashan - Foment Discord - 15/14 - 2 - 7
              L1 - Juphar Trikder - Fulcrum of Power - 19/19 - 1 - 12

              Round 2 Results:
              Table #1: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C1 - <same> - Growth In Chaos - 11/12 - 1 - 12
              H5 - Councillor Lashan - ??? - 11/10 - 2 - 7
              N2 - <same> - Onslaught - 9/6 - 3 - 2
              Table #2: Shadow War NO, ISA YES
              C2 - <same> - None - 21/23 - 2T - 5
              H1 - <same> - Peace in Our Time - 22/25 - 1 - 16 (SV)
              L1 - <Juphar Trikder - Safety In Numbers - 21/23 - 2T - 5
              Table #3: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C3 - <same> - Muster Support - 15/15 - 2 - 7
              H2 - <same> - Build Infrastructure - 11/11 - 3 - 2
              M1 - <same> - Support of the Mighty - 16/19 - 1 - 12
              Table #4: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C4 - Lord Mollari - Lure of the Shadows - 13/13 - 3 - 4
              H3 - <same> - Our Own People First - 16/16 - 1 - 12
              M2 - <same> - War Footing - 11/11 - 4 - 1
              L2 - <same> - Peaceful Unification - 13/16 - 2 / 8
              Table #5: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C5 - <same> - A Rising Power - 9/10 - 2 - 7
              H4 - Rimush - Muster Support - 16/16 - 1 - 12
              N1 - Councillor Na'Far - 5/10 - 3 - 2

              Round 3 Results:
              Table #1: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C1 - <same> - Growth in Chaos - 19/11 - 3 - 2 (Either it was really 9/11 or
              the Drakh really hurt this one)
              H4 - Rimush (?) - Muster Support (?) - 14/14 - 1 -12
              M2 - <same> - None - 12/12 - 2 - 7
              Table #2: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C2 - Prime Minister Refa - None - 13/13 - 3 - 4
              H5 - Councillor Lashan - Forment Discord - 10/9 - 4 - 1
              N1 - Councillor Na'Far - Support of The Mighty - 14/14 - 1 - 12
              L2 - <same> - Rule By The Masses - 13/13 - 2 - 8
              Table #3: Shadow War NO, ISA YES
              C3 - <same> - Muster Support - 20/20 - 1 - 16 (SV)
              H1 - <same> - None - 15/15 - 2 - 7
              N2 - <same> - Onslaught (Hidden) - 10/10 - 3 - 2
              Table #4: Shadow War NO, ISA NO
              C4 - <same> - Lure of Shadows - 15/15 - 3 - 2
              H2 - <same> - Build Infrastructure - 16/17 - 2 - 7
              L1 - Juphar Trikder - 16/20 - 1 - 16 (SV)
              Table #5: Shadow War NO, ISA NO, WANI
              C5 - <same> - A Rising Power - 12/12 - 3 - 2
              H3 - <same> - Our Own People First - 18/17 - 2 - 7
              M1 - <same> - Support of the Mighty - 18/18 - 1 - 12
            • Bill Lydick
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
                Below is the card list for my Narn "Anti-Mind-Rape" deck which I played at
                the Origins 2006 tournament. The deck history is that my Narn decks kept
                getting completely hosed by Psi Corps decks since I had no defense against
                Psi (being Narn). After I got tired of it, I decided to build a deck which
                would give the Narn a respectable amount of Psi, possibly even enough to win
                Mind Games a few times. This deck (theoretically) can develop power through
                Councillor Na'Far and/or the two agendas and influence through its
                (admittedly) few conflicts. It seemed to work moderately well at Origins
                2006, although the first table was an all-Legacy table, making the race for
                TechnoMages more important than bringing out the teeps. The interesting
                thing (to me) is that there were no Psi Corps decks at Origins this year ...
                bummer ...

                I've copied the deck and it's statistics out of my DeckList spreadsheet into
                a raw text format. If you want it to be neat and pretty, copy it into Word
                or something where you can adjust the tab stops.

                Bill Lydick

                Card (74) Qty SH? (3) Type
                Na'Far 0 0 CHA
                Narn Agent 1 1 CHA