Players database

  • Manuel Tuthill
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
      I know that several people voiced concerns that the Frappr map listings
      would become stale as players left the B5 scene and didn't remove themselves
      from the listing. Since i haven't come up with any better solution what I
      will do is remove the oldest 10% of the members manually on a monthly basis,
      this should mean that all players in the database are less than one year
      old.

      I appreciate it may be a pain for some people to have to have to go back and
      log back on but it's the best solution that I can come up with. I will mail
      each person i remove and prompt them to sign back up.

      Some facts and figures for March 06

      32 players registered on the database.

      17 players in the United States
      14 players in Europe
      1 player in Russia

      umm thats it if anyone wants to know any stats and i'll try and include them
      next time.

      Warm regards,

      Manuel

    • Dingo
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
        Forgive my naivete, but what exactly are Frappr map listings? I don't
        believe I'm aware of what that means. If someone could pass on a
        definition, I'd be most grateful.

        Many thanks,
        Tim Mirkes

        B5 Alive
        La Crosse, WI
      • Tommy Fuhs
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
          --- In b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com, "Dingo" <amazingdingored@...> wrote:
          > Forgive my naivete,

          It ain't just you Tim. I'm a little confused here too. I looked in the
          groups database & there's no files. I tried epsilonhex again & it's
          still non-responsive. Am I in this DB? If I am, I'd like to update. If
          not, I'd like to be.
        • Manuel Tuthill
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
            Frappr is a mapping tool to show where B5 players are located. With the aim
            of helping players locate each other. Nothing much information wise is
            stored except your location and your email (if you set up an account) other
            members can message you and ask for a face to face game and hopefully if we
            get enough members it might help with the location of future events.

            http://www.frappr.com/b5ccg

            It's a separate site but run with the intention of being a resource for THIS
            list.

            Despite the fact that I'm a moderator to this list I feel guilty about
            messing round with the links/set up without other moderators help/say so, so
            I didn't add it to the links area, but emailed the rest of the moderators to
            ask them what they thought. None replied!

            I might just bite the bullet and add it and if I annoy someone so be it.

            As far as I know epsilonhex is long gone and I'm not going to get into the
            story now (I think I've published my side of things enough now) but a search
            should bring you up some results. Devin who was the head of Epsilonhex took
            control of the list just before a few things went stale and I don't think
            I'm seen/heard much of him since. His email was not working last time I
            checked and I have asked yahoo to pass this group over to a moderator (not
            me) who is still contactable but the never got back to me. I guess that
            unless he surfaces this list will remain in EH name and the moderators will
            do what they can to look after people.

            Warm regards,

            Manuel

            It ain't just you Tim. I'm a little confused here too. I looked in the
            groups database & there's no files. I tried epsilonhex again & it's still
            non-responsive. Am I in this DB? If I am, I'd like to update. If not, I'd
            like to be.

            Babylon 5 CCG Community E-list.
            Keep it fun, keep it friendly, enjoy.
            If you have problems with the list contact me at jaxb5ranger@....

            Also, check out www.epsilonhex.com for more information about the game!

            To unsubscribe email:
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • THOMAS FUHS
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
              Despite the fact that I'm a moderator to this list I feel guilty about
              messing round <snip> emailed the rest of the moderators to
              ask them what they thought. None replied!

              *They were the ones who were - You are the one who IS!*
              I guess what I'm saying is that I vote for you to be Head Hancho of the group - if you want.

            • Manuel Tuthill
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
                A nice compliment I'm sure, however anyone who's known me over the year will
                also know that tho' I try, I have to many fingers in too many pies which
                means I'm bad with deadlines. To be honest I don't even think it makes a
                difference if you would like me to be "Head Hancho" since I'm not even sure
                who can hand out that title.

                There are other moderators still on the list who are active I'm sure, but
                it's a matter of time and energy and most people anywhere near the top seems
                to have impressive little of both.

                Years of battling for the game you love with little/no reward takes it's
                toll on people.

                Warm regards,

                Manuel

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
                  I think deleting people is a bad idea, sure some might get outdated and
                  perhaps then they can be deleted by request or such. But now you might
                  delete people who don't look there anymore but still be willing to play when
                  there is a possibility and that is brought to their attention.

                  My 2 cents,
                  bart
                • philip hayden
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
                    hi there all i,ve been registered on this group for over 2 years but really
                    haven,t had time to talk to anybody but i,m living in ireland and am part of
                    a small but loyal b5 fan base we play anthing b5 from ccg too call to arms
                    we even play babylon 5 wars if somebody could tell me how i reactivate my b5
                    group just email me at atron20@... ,
                    tanx all
                    phil hayden

                    Customise your home page with RSS feeds at MSN Ireland! http://ie.msn.com/
                  • Manuel Tuthill
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
                      All player who are deleted are notified, if they don't get that notification
                      they they will not get any other members contacting them for games so not
                      much use of them being on the board. I think its better to have good quality
                      data than huge amounts of outdated data.
                      This has been tried before and the biggest failing was that the data was
                      very quickly outdated and you could spend hours searching to find a player
                      in your area for a game because so many people had left but their records
                      remain. I'm sure this isn't a perfect but untill someone convinces me of a
                      better way...

                      my 2 pence

                      Manuel

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
                        If you add a way for us to ping our account, which would reset our
                        "start" date, then I'm all for the automated deletions. In fact, even
                        if you can't add this function it's still probably a good idea.

                        --- In b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com, "Manuel Tuthill" <manuel@...> wrote:

                        > All player who are deleted are notified, if they don't get that
                        notification
                        > they they will not get any other members contacting them for games
                        so not
                        > much use of them being on the board. I think its better to have good
                        quality
                        > data than huge amounts of outdated data.
                        > This has been tried before and the biggest failing was that the data was
                        > very quickly outdated and you could spend hours searching to find a
                        player
                        > in your area for a game because so many people had left but their
                        records
                        > remain. I'm sure this isn't a perfect but untill someone convinces
                        me of a
                        > better way...
                        >

                        > my 2 pence
                        >
                        > Manuel

                        On Behalf
                        > Of bart sikkes
                        > Sent: 10 April 2006 19:25
                        > To: b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: RE: [B5CCG] Re: Players database
                        >
                        > I think deleting people is a bad idea, sure some might get outdated and
                        > perhaps then they can be deleted by request or such. But now you might
                        > delete people who don't look there anymore but still be willing to
                        play when
                        > there is a possibility and that is brought to their attention.
                        >
                        > My 2 cents,
                        > bart
                        >

                        > Babylon 5 CCG Community E-list.
                        > Keep it fun, keep it friendly, enjoy.
                        > If you have problems with the list contact me at jaxb5ranger@...
                        >
                        > Also, check out www.epsilonhex.com for more information about the game!
                        >
                        > To unsubscribe email:
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Manuel Tuthill
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 10, 2006
                          I wish I could.

                          I'd love to be able to make search's based on player criteria (so you could
                          search within 50 or 500 miles for example). Since it's someone elses system
                          we have to live with what they have. Really it's not even setup to be
                          maintained hence why deletion seems to be my only choice.

                          Warm regards,

                          Manuel

                          If you add a way for us to ping our account, which would reset our "start"
                          date, then I'm all for the automated deletions. In fact, even if you can't
                          add this function it's still probably a good idea.

                          --- In b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com, "Manuel Tuthill" <manuel@...> wrote:

                          > All player who are deleted are notified, if they don't get that
                          notification
                          > they they will not get any other members contacting them for games
                          so not
                          > much use of them being on the board. I think its better to have good
                          quality
                          > data than huge amounts of outdated data.
                          > This has been tried before and the biggest failing was that the data
                          > was very quickly outdated and you could spend hours searching to find
                          player
                          > in your area for a game because so many people had left but their
                          records
                          > remain. I'm sure this isn't a perfect but untill someone convinces
                          me of a
                          > better way...
                          >

                          > my 2 pence
                          >
                          > Manuel

                        • Ward, Charles D
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 11, 2006
                            Can some one fill me in on this 'deleate list?' I'd like to stay on here with my fellow B5'rs, dwindling though they are...

                            Charles
                            WardCD@...

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 11, 2006
                              Reading to many half posts I think Charles. The delete list realates to the
                              Frappr site for B5'er. if you're not on that list it will not affect you, if
                              you are on that list then you will be informed of what to do.

                              No-one and nothing is happening on this list. Well that's not entirely true,
                              but no one is getting deleted (well unless you email address stops working
                              in which case you become an inactive member and will slowly be removed).

                              Manuel