[B5CCG] Starting Hand Problem

  • Florian Hinterschuster
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2005
      At first one question which occured during the last game of my playing
      group:

      -If anyone plays a onflict in which any side may be supported (for example
      Show the colours) may I get an additional influence by Altruism??

      Now to my real problem in a human deck:
      My starting hand would be:

      Sheridan (extra card)
      Susan Ivanova
      Corporate Connections
      Build Infrastructure
      Hello, Old Friend

      First Round:
      Sheridan, Build Infrastructure, Corporate Connections then build influence

      Second round:
      Hello Old Friend, Susan Ivanova and searching for M. Garibaldi CEO

      Third round:
      Playing M. Garibaldi CEO for 6 influence(!) and search for Commander Ivanova

      Fourth round:
      Searching for Captain Ivanova and promoting Susan Ivanova which can the be
      replaced

      In the sixth round I will finally have 10 influence (very,very late) but
      General Ivanova(!) in the Inner Circle and John Sheridan in my hand. I think
      it's clear what will follow...

      So my Problem is that the whole strategy depends on Hello, Old Friend and I
      think that my friends will oppose the conflict as soon as we play our second
      game. Does anyone have any idea how to make it sure that I can win the
      conflict and how to play faster to ten influence.

      Thanks for all your ideas
      Florian

      +++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More +++
    • Magnus Persson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
        Well, I'd say there was only one sure way when I played for Garibaldi with
        HOF in the start hand - Important Visitor and Luis Santiago. Most ways that
        combo will win, though it smashes up the whole Ivanova-idea, why I am not
        sure you will find it useful. On the other hand you may use IV, Corporate
        Connections and a second LS to get LS out on turn two at a cost of 3
        influence. That's interesting for a diplomacy deck I'd say, but perhaps not
        for getting GI into play faster.

        /Magnus

        ___________________________

        So my Problem is that the whole strategy depends on Hello, Old Friend and I
        think that my friends will oppose the conflict as soon as we play our second
        game. Does anyone have any idea how to make it sure that I can win the
        conflict and how to play faster to ten influence.

        Thanks for all your ideas
        Florian

        Babylon 5 CCG Community E-list.
        Keep it fun, keep it friendly, enjoy.
        If you have problems with the list contact me at jaxb5ranger@....

        Also, check out www.epsilonhex.com for more information about the game!

        To unsubscribe email:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bruce Mason
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
          This email seems to be missing something. Hello Old Friend does not let you
          search every round so I don't know how you are managing to do that. You may have
          intended to put Death Incarnate in there somewhere.

          As for 'trick starts" like this. They usually work the first time. after that
          you have a problem. If you can bribe some of the table to leave you alone then
          go for it. Otherwise, if your start is thought to be a problem, your opponents
          will probably cooperate to stop you. In that case, any trick start which
          requires you winning a diplomacy conflict on your first turn is likely to need
          something like a conscription and stacking your deck. If the only sponsorable
          human card you include in your deck is Luis Santiago then you can conscript him.
          However that trick also only works until one of your opponents decides to pack
          taunts and games in their opening hand. So that means that you have a problem.
          Over and above the fact, of course, that your hand does not do what you seem to
          think it does :-)

          On the whole, it looks very hard to guarantee winning an early Hello Old Friend
          and getting early Ivanova replacements and get to 10 before the end of time.
          Generally you can manage to do 1 or 2 of them but not all 3.

          To answer your question. Altruism only triggers on WON conflicts. To be able to
          use it with Show the Colors you would need to have the initiator win it (and
          therefore gain the influence) and to have somehow provided the most support. The
          only way to do this is to support the initiator. e.g. 3 plays, Andrew, Bob and
          Florian. Andrew plays Show the Colors. Final scores
          Andrew: 10 support from himself 12 from Florian
          Bob: no support
          Florian: no support from you.

          In which case Andrew gains 2 influence and you gain 1. However you would have
          been better off supporting yourself.

          Remember a conflict is only a WON conflict if the person who initiated the
          conflict wins it. If Andrew plays Show the colors and Florian ends up with the
          most support, then Show the Colors is a LOST conflict (which probably requires
          polar bears and weird bald guys with dog whistles).

          Bruce

          ---
          Bruce Mason, ESRC Research Associate
          Methodological Issues in Qualitative Data Sharing and Archiving
          Cardiff School of Social Sciences
          60 Park Place,
          Cardiff CF10 3WT
          UK
          Tel: +44 2920 875123
          masonb@...
          http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/socsi/hyper/index.html

          >>> borrett@... 07/31/05 11:04 pm >>>
[...]

        • neogeofreak
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
            --- In b5ccglist@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Mason" <masonb@c...> wrote:
            > This email seems to be missing something. Hello Old Friend does not
            let you
            > search every round so I don't know how you are managing to do that.
            You may have
            > intended to put Death Incarnate in there somewhere.

            Bruce,

            Re-read M. Garibaldi, CEO - it says in part,

            "... Rotate to search your deck for Lise Hampton, or any Human
            Character which can replace another character, and take that card into
            your hand..."

            Back to lurking...
          • Bruce Mason
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
              Ah, I had forgotten that he does that. The start makes sense now. Makes it very
              hard to use the conscription trick start because to do that you have to have no
              sponsorable human characters in your deck. You could just load up with Ivanova
              and Sheridan replacement cards then rely on a crusade pile to fill out missing
              characters and/or add in beefy neutrals such as Marcus.

              Bruce

              ---
              >>> b5lists@... 08/23/05 6:30 PM >>>