Me: Sound Phenomena

  • Jeff Chouinard
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      Listeros:

      Re: John Pastore's comments about stalactites:

      I have sometimes wondered if there were any connection between
      the various meanings of the word "tun" -- stone, drum, and year.
      With my fist, I have hit stalactites in caves in the Yucatan
      (Balankanche? Loltun?) and the sound they make is like
      "TUUUNNN..." Since the Books of Chilam Balam mention the
      sounding of the drum at the closing of the year, was the Maya
      year-drum made of cave stone that rang with the sound of its
      name?

      John says the name of a hollow tree in Yucatan today is "tunka."
      If hollow logs can be used for drums, why not hollow tubular
      stones?

      --Jeff Chouinard

      Copyright � AZTLAN <AZTLAN@...> 2001.
      All rights reserved.