MA: Stone Spheres

  • Will Flor
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2000
      At 02:07 PM 8/30/00 -0400, John Pastore wrote:

      >Given how they are found, principally in river deltas, could they
      >initially have simply been stones which had rolled down river
      >within their river's currents long enough to achieve their basic
      >form to only be slightly refined artificially much later?

      Stone spheres are also fairly common in springs and resurgences,
      which are found in areas with Karst topography (like the Yucatan.)
      If the water gets high enough, they can get washed downstream and
      wind up in a delta. I've seen plenty in the Ozarks, for example.
      They, of course, are completely natural. Is there any evidence
      that these are other than 100% of natural origin?

      -Will Flor