Oa: Mixe pronunciation

  • mike gaby
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 1999
      Listeros,
      Reading through a copy of _The Mixe of Oaxaca_ by Frank Lipp, I
      was considerably confused by some of the signs used in spelling
      the Mixe words. I assume these may be quite common among linguists,
      which I am not. Could I get some help on these?

      " as in Ca"ny (snake)
      . as in Aba.d (below)
      an s with a curved accent above as in Aks (fish)
      a c with a curved accent above as in Cam (now,here)
      an i with a line through it as in Amih (large)

      Also which syllable is normally stressed?
      Any help is greatly appreciated!
      thanks,
      Mike
      San Diego