Ma: Yucatec political boundaries

  • John Pastore
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 1999
      On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:08:55 PST, John Pastore wrote:

      > > It's rather peripheral to the discussion, but I thought I should
      > > point out that those tidy lines on a map of Postclassic Yucatan
      > > are just that: tidy lines on a map. They do not necessarily bear
      > > any relation to actual political structure, which was probably
      > > far more fragmented and flexible. They were produced by Ralph
      > > Roys in the 1930s and 1940s, and although based on his enormous
      > > knowledge of Maya sources, reveal a strong theoretical preconception:
      > > that polities had to be organized along European, territorial
      > > models. Anyone who wants to talk about Late Postclassic Maya
      > > political structure should read Matthew Restall's The Maya World,
      > > which analyzes the Colonial documentation to suggest a far more
      > > atomized reality than the nice model on those maps.

      Glad you did point it out. The 'atomizing' of the populuations on
      the Peninsula is central to my argument after all.

      Moreover, if left unsaid, I'm sure there would have been those who
      would have thought the Maya had actually surveyed rigid boundries
      so as to come up with all those squiggly lines.

      :-)

      Probably with bouncing candlelight (cast and focused through
      crystals) off of Smoking Mirrors onto treebark parchments specially
      treated with chicklegum emulsions so as to...

      ...And while I
      > > don't have the energy to rehash that debate again, I'm quite sure
      > > there never were any "Toltecs" in Yucatan. Central Mexican cultural
      > > influence, yes; any substantive migration, no.

      I'm sure you're right. It has just been easier to say Toltec
      Itzaes or Toltec Comcomes that Toltecized-Mexicanized-Xiu-Itzaes
      and Toltecized-Mexicanized-Cocome-Itzaes, or even
      Toltecized-Mexcianized-Huastecaned-Putanes who, upon their arrivals,
      at least, were not Mayanized Maya.

      :-)

      Thanks,

      John Pastore