Re: ME: MARI Photographic Archives

  • David R. Hixson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 1998

      Thank you very much to Tom Burglin for his timely and accurate response to
      Steven Davies criticisms (copied below). And thank you to Steven for
      making some useful points which we should consider while authoring web
      pages.

      I would love to scan all of the photographs, AND create digital images of
      all of the artifacts housed at MARI (and considered asking permission to
      write a grant proposal for doing just that). But that would have taken
      most of my graduate school career (and probably longer). As it stands, the
      web page is authored and maintained by one graduate student at a time,
      working 5 hours per week during each semester. With such limitations, our
      main goal is to simply let the scholarly community know what is available
      at MARI (both through our press, and in our archives).

      As for the lack of text-based links on the home page of the site, that's
      completely my fault and it will be corrected shortly. I entered
      web-authoring from a graphic design background, and so I often forget about
      the graphically challenged.

      I thank everyone who has taken the time to send me their comments,
      including John Hoopes, Steven Davies and Tom Burglin on AZTLAN. It takes
      more than one person to work out the bugs of a major web site, and all
      comments will help us when we design future web pages.

      Middle American Research Institute, Tulane University
      http://www.tulane.edu/~mari/

      -Dave

      _______________________________
      David R. Hixson
      Tulane University
      Department of Anthropology
      dhixson@...
      Mesoamerican Photo Archives:
      http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~dhixson/
    • john wasson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 1998
        Listeros:
        It is hard to argue with either the need for those MARI pictures on the
        net or the cost and difficulty of getting them there. A nice model for
        what could be done is located at the URL below:

        http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/calheritage/

        Can I assume or at least hope that MARI is trying to get a grant to do
        something like the Calheritage project.

        Disk space is less and less of a problem but scanning labor costs are
        still high. Last week I got an add for a 16gb disk for less than $400.00
        and IBM has announced a 25gb drive that will fit in a Personal Computer.

        John Wasson
      • Paul V. Heinrich
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 1998
          Dear Listeros:

          The destruction of cultural heritage within Honduras,
          Nicaragua, and other effected countries in itself very
          overwhelming. Entire towns with their churches, monuments,
          and other architexture has been literally obliterated. The
          architexture and other parts of the cultural landscape are
          simply gone in many areas. Because of the devastation,
          those lucky enough to survive will have found that they have
          lost any records, both pictorial and written of what existed
          before this cataclysm.

          I would imagine that the anthropologists, tourists,
          missionaries, and other people who visited this area prior
          to Hurricane Mitch must have taken innumerable pictures
          and videos of churches, buildings, and other parts of
          landscapes which have simply vanished. These images are
          now the only remaining record of the cultural landscape
          of the devastated area. What once were rather ordinary
          pictures might now be a valuable record of what has been
          lost to Hurricane Mitch.

          Thus, anybody who has visited the devastated area
          and taken pictures and video might want to look through
          what images from it they possess and cull out those
          which that document the churches, the the buildings,
          the cultural landscape that was lost to Hurricane Mitch.
          Then, they should label them and carefully curate
          them as they are now all what remains of all too many
          of the people and places lost in this catacylsm.

          They won't bring the dead back and do anything
          alleviate the immediate suffering. However, maybe in
          time these images and other materials could be collected
          in the future to form the nucleous of an archive that would
          document what the region was like before Hurricane Mitch.
          It would also be a resource by which future generations
          can better comprehend and appreciate the magnitude of
          what Hurricane Mitch has done to Central America.

          Yours,
          Paul V. Heinrich
          heinrich@...
          Baton Rouge, LA