No, Me: Interpretation of Anthropomorphs

  • Dito Morales
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 1998

      (excuse the cross-posting)

      The elongated anthropomorph is a defining characteristic of the
      Barrier Canyon, Pecos River, and Grand Canyon Polychrome Styles of
      Archaic rock painting in the greater American Southwest. Some figures
      are so elongated that they seem to stretch the use of the term
      'anthropomorph' (sorry for the pun.)

      I've posted a couple of photographs that illustrate this elongation:

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/3883/hypelon.htm

      I wonder in this case if the term 'anthropomorph' can even be used?
      This brings up the question of interpretation in general.

      These figures are frequently cited as part of a pan-archaic shamanic
      tradition. Given the nature of recent discussions on the lists, this
      might be an interesting thread.

      Thanks for any replies, on- or off- list.

      Dito Morales
      MA Candidate, Art History
      Virginia Commonwealth University
      Richmond, Virginia USA