IC: Some help on these questions please!

  • Naginata
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 1998

      Hello and good day to everyone! I'm working on my spanish and history
      degrees and I have to give an oral presentation in a week over
      Pre-Columbian Art and it's cultural influences. I'm doing outside
      research at the last minute as well but the thing is is that our library
      has VERY limited resources on this area so I thought that I would also
      try to ask assistance from some more knowledgeable people in this
      field. So please, if anyone can help me with any of these questions,
      feel free to reply. I thank you in advance...

      1) What are some of the likenesses and differences between the Aztecs
      and Incas as empire builders?
      2) In how many ways did both the Aztecs and Incas resemble the Romans
      in their history and culture?
      3) In how many ways was the culture of Mayans a continuity from Olmec
      developments?
      4) What recent evidence is there that suggests Mayan culture may have
      been more secular than had previously been thought to be the case?
      5) Discuss concrete examples of Mayan architecture that reveal the
      rather universal contrasts between classical and baroque taste?
      6) What are some recent interpretations and explanations of the large
      landscape drawings in Pre-Columbian peru?
      7) What would be considered the chief contributions by the Incas to
      Pre-columbian culture and art?
      8) What evidence is there of Toltec influence in the architecture and
      sculpture of Chichen Itza?
      9) What would be a particularly distinctive feature of the architecture
      and/or art work at the following sites: Tula, Cholula, Monte Alan,
      Mitla, Tikal, Palenque, Bonampak, Copan, Uxmal, Sahil, Tulum, Chichen
      Itza, Tenochtitlan, Cuzco, and Machu Picchu?
      10) Why did climate and geography have a specially important part to
      play in the development of Pre-Inca and Inca culture in South America?

      Well everyone, that's it I believe! If there is anyone who can help me
      with any of this, I would be indebted and would appreciate immensely.
      Thanks again,..

      -=Wade Roberts

      Editor's Note: I also posted this to POST1492 as there is much
      here that is more relevant to that list.
    • David L. Browman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 1998

        Query: is "SLU" = St. Louis University? If so, then our respondent such
        wander up the street to Washington University, where there are hundreds of
        vooumes on this, or to the St. Louis Public library, which has good
        holdings, or to UMSL which has good holdings, or to University City, etc.

        It appears to me if this is indeed St. Louis University, our rerspondent
        ought to get off his derriere, and learn how to use libraries.

        dave browman

        On Fri, 1 May 1998, Naginata wrote:

        > Hello and good day to everyone! I'm working on my spanish and history
        > degrees and I have to give an oral presentation in a week over
        > Pre-Columbian Art and it's cultural influences. I'm doing outside
        > research at the last minute as well but the thing is is that our library
        > has VERY limited resources on this area so I thought that I would also
        > try to ask assistance from some more knowledgeable people in this
        > field. So please, if anyone can help me with any of these questions,
        > feel free to reply. I thank you in advance...
        >
        > 1) What are some of the likenesses and differences between the Aztecs
        > and Incas as empire builders?
        > 2) In how many ways did both the Aztecs and Incas resemble the Romans
        > in their history and culture?
        > 3) In how many ways was the culture of Mayans a continuity from Olmec
        > developments?
        > 4) What recent evidence is there that suggests Mayan culture may have
        > been more secular than had previously been thought to be the case?
        > 5) Discuss concrete examples of Mayan architecture that reveal the
        > rather universal contrasts between classical and baroque taste?
        > 6) What are some recent interpretations and explanations of the large
        > landscape drawings in Pre-Columbian peru?
        > 7) What would be considered the chief contributions by the Incas to
        > Pre-columbian culture and art?
        > 8) What evidence is there of Toltec influence in the architecture and
        > sculpture of Chichen Itza?
        > 9) What would be a particularly distinctive feature of the architecture
        > and/or art work at the following sites: Tula, Cholula, Monte Alan,
        > Mitla, Tikal, Palenque, Bonampak, Copan, Uxmal, Sahil, Tulum, Chichen
        > Itza, Tenochtitlan, Cuzco, and Machu Picchu?
        > 10) Why did climate and geography have a specially important part to
        > play in the development of Pre-Inca and Inca culture in South America?
        >
        > Well everyone, that's it I believe! If there is anyone who can help me
        > with any of this, I would be indebted and would appreciate immensely.
        > Thanks again,..
        >
        > -=Wade Roberts

        > Editor's Note: I also posted this to POST1492 as there is much
        > here that is more relevant to that list.

      • John W. Hoopes
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 1998
          Get thee to a library!!!

          > 1) What are some of the likenesses and differences between the Aztecs
          > and Incas as empire builders?

          The Inca and Aztec states, 1400-1800 : anthropology and history / edited
          by George A. Collier, Renato I. Rosaldo, John D. Wirth. New York :
          Academic Press, 1982.

          > 2) In how many ways did both the Aztecs and Incas resemble the Romans
          > in their history and culture?

          The Roman Empire : Augustus to Hadrian / edited and translated by Robert
          K. Sherk. Cambridge <Cambridgeshire> ; New York : Cambridge University
          Press, 1988.

          > 3) In how many ways was the culture of Mayans a continuity from Olmec
          > developments?

          Regional perspectives on the Olmec / edited by Robert J. Sharer and
          David C. Grove. Cambridge <England> ; New York : Cambridge University
          Press, 1989.

          > 4) What recent evidence is there that suggests Mayan culture may have
          > been more secular than had previously been thought to be the case?

          The code of kings : the language of seven sacred Maya temples and tombs
          / Linda Schele and Peter Mathews, photographs by MacDuff Everton and
          Justin Kerr. New York : Scribner, c1998.

          > 5) Discuss concrete examples of Mayan architecture that reveal the
          > rather universal contrasts between classical and baroque taste?

          The Puuc : an architectural survey of the hill country of Yucatan and
          northern Campeche, Mexico / H. E. D. Pollock. Cambridge, Mass. : Peabody
          Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, 1980.

          > 6) What are some recent interpretations and explanations of the large
          > landscape drawings in Pre-Columbian peru?

          The lines of Nazca / Anthony Aveni, editor. Philadelphia, PA : American
          Philosophical Society, 1990. Memoirs of the American Philosophical
          Society ; v. 183.

          > 7) What would be considered the chief contributions by the Incas to
          > Pre-columbian culture and art?

          Monuments of the Incas / text by John Hemming ; photographs by Edward
          Ranney. Boston : Little, Brown, 1982.

          > 8) What evidence is there of Toltec influence in the architecture and
          > sculpture of Chichen Itza?

          Late Lowland Maya civilization : classic to postclassic / edited by
          Jeremy A. Sabloff and E. Wyllys Andrews V. Albuquerque : University of
          New Mexico Press, c1986.

          > 9) What would be a particularly distinctive feature of the architecture
          > and/or art work at the following sites: Tula, Cholula, Monte Alan,
          > Mitla, Tikal, Palenque, Bonampak, Copan, Uxmal, Sahil, Tulum, Chichen
          > Itza, Tenochtitlan, Cuzco, and Machu Picchu?

          The art and architecture of ancient America; the Mexican, Maya, and
          Andean peoples / George Kubler. Baltimore, Penguin Books, 1962.

          > 10) Why did climate and geography have a specially important part to
          > play in the development of Pre-Inca and Inca culture in South America?

          Mountain, field, and family : the economy and human ecology of an Andean
          valley / Stephen B. Brush. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania
          Press, 1977.

          Now, Wade, what will you give AZTLAN in return for this service???

          John Hoopes
          hoopes@...
          http://www.ukans.edu/~hoopes
        • Jorge Perez de Lara
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 1998
            Listeros,

            It occurs to me that if Wade finds nice, concise answers to the set of
            questions he posted to the list:

            >1) What are some of the likenesses and differences between the Aztecs
            >and Incas as empire builders?
            >2) In how many ways did both the Aztecs and Incas resemble the Romans
            >in their history and culture?
            ------------snip----------------------

            we might as well have our list fold and consider pre-Columbian archaeology
            as a "case closed" thing and go home!

            No, seriously: Wade, the "simple" questions you ask are the stuff over
            which we have argued, re-argued, read and written for years (decades?) not
            only on this list, but in books, at archaeological conferences, in
            universities, research institutions, etc. I personally think some of your
            questions should be refined a bit (like: "9.- What would be a particularly
            distinctive feature of the architecture and/or art work at the following
            sites: Tula, Cholula, Monte Alban, Mitla, Tikal, Palenque, Bonampak,
            Copan, Uxmal, Sayil, Tulum, Chich'en
            Itza, Tenochtitlan, Cuzco, and Machu Picchu?"; I find this akin to asking
            what the distinctive features of the Vatican, Angkor Wat, Luxor, Nineveh
            and the Capitol of the United States are. You just can't group together so
            many sites, produced by so many different cultures during a 2,000+ year
            timespan). Still, many of your other questions are at the very heart of the
            research being carried out in the field and are still to be resolved. I
            think you probably don't realize it, but these are spiny issues you are
            touching upon and tentative answers are bound to ellicit a lot of (heated)
            debate. Which is the reason for a place like Aztlan. If you are really
            interested in the subject (though you won't get any simple, straightforward
            answers), stick with us.

            Jorge Perez de Lara
            Mexico

            jorgepl@...
          • Naginata
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 1998
              Hey, and thanks for responding to my post. I think I may have ruffled
              some feathers, but only because it appears that I am looking for others
              to do my work for me, which isn't the case at all. Sure, I could spend
              the hours upon hours looking for these answers, and the things is, I
              will be, but my time is limited (my senior year, that and having to take
              care of my mother because of a death in the family). No, I'm not
              looking for pity, or even abslute answers to these questions, but these
              are area that I will draw from to do my little presentation and present
              it with powerpoint. I guess what I'm really after is assistance than
              hand-outs, not that I thought that you interpreted that being what I
              want, and I thought I would turn to this list-serve and get some input
              from some of the more experted people in this field of interest. Who
              else but to ask those are knowledgeable? So yeah, I realize that many
              of these are open to interpretation, but I guess I could settle for more
              gray answers than the black or white ones. Hell even what I find in the
              library may even contradict what help I may recieve from the listserv.
              Like I said though, any help is more than appreciated.

              -=Wade