objectivity and national pride

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2003

      Letters to the Editor
      The Arizona Republic
      PO BOX 2244
      Phoenix AZ 85002
      opinions@...

      Dear Editor:

      Tony Matheny wrote ("Irish and not even a wee bit proud", 3/17/03, page B8),
      "Right, I'm not the least bit proud to be Irish. The killing of women and
      children over unresolved issues is barbaric."

      Killing people, even those not directly involved, over unresolved issues,
      is certainly not confined to any specific nationality, and is to be expected,
      particularly when the issues are life-and-death or freedom-and-slavery.
      Given the wrongs we have suffered, we have, if anything, been extraordinarilly
      restrained. In the past few years with this useless cease-fire, I would say
      far too restrained. We never sent the Brits in chains to Barbados and
      Jamaica. We never exported their grain while they starved. We never drove
      the Ulster Protestants off their lands in the name of religion but really
      for exploitation. A few bombed buildings is very small payback indeed for
      such grave wrongs, far less than other nationalities have dished out. Indeed,
      had we shown half the zeal of the Palestineans, there's no doubt that the
      British Army wouldn't dare set foot in Ulster again.

      If anything we need to show our pride and assert ourselves more. Let us show
      Mr. Blair that if he goes to war in Iraq, he'll come back to find a fire
      burning in Ulster and in Number Ten. Let us show Mr. Bush that we know
      what it's like to experience what he's been doing to the Iraqis and the
      Palestineans, and that we will act in solidarity and that 9/11 will look like
      minor acts of vandalism when we're through with him and his vile imperialist
      government! If there's a time to show pride and objectivity, it is now.
      Steady with your aim of the petrol bomb!

      Sincerely,

      Kevin Walsh