skepticism

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2003
      >Though most of the e-mail posted seems to be of a political nature, I would
      >like make contact with a competent secular humanist spokesman who could and
      >would outline humanist stands on religion.
      >Mark Lewis has a radio program on KTAR 620 called Journeys each Saturday
      >night at 10 PM featuring psychics, channelers, faith healers, etc. His
      >support seems to in agreement with those people. I have been writing and
      >telling him that abundant material exists that disproves the ability to cold
      >read from the deceased or to read thoughts over the telephone. I finally
      >suggested that if he wanted to take his listeners on a good journey, then he
      >should have a secular humanist on his program.
      >And he agreed.
      >Any takers?
      >Selby Barnett,
      >Mesa

      Secular humanism is so diverse that I don't think any one person could be
      considered a spokesperson for it. I think just about all of us would agree
      that the burden of proof is upon those who claim extraordinary phenomena, as
      it is very difficult to prove a negative. James Randi, a professional
      magician and skeptic and author of the book <Flim Flam>, has a standing
      offer of $10,000 to anyone who can prove supernatural phenomena to his
      satisfaction. He had arranged tests for alleged psychics, dowsers, etc.,
      and none has yet collected. I would agree to be on such a program, but I
      would certainly not represent myself as capable of proving a negative.

      Kevin Walsh
      Phoenix
    • Selbyist@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2003
        Thank you, Kevin, for the answer to my search for some humanist to counter some of the paranormal claims.  I am well aware of Randi and his offer.  On Randi's place on the net, he has a daily count of the days accumulated since Sylvia Brown accepted his offer to prove her case--yet has not submitted to the tests.  At last count, it was over 560 something days.
        As I told Mark, if I had a purple and orange dog that could keep ten objects in the air at a time, he would do well to ask to see the dog. And you are right.  One of his guests said that it was up to the skeptic to disprove. It is difficult to prove negatives.
        All I would ask of anyone as a secular humanist would be to demonstrate more or less a  scientific approach to some of the claims.
        Selby Barnett   Mesa, AZ