Firing Blind

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2003

      Letters to the Editor
      The Arizona Republic

      Dear Editor:

      Your editorial response ("Firing Blind", page B10, 2/21/03) to HB 2321,
      a measure to increase our rights to protect ourselves, is disingenuous
      as usual, as was that of Representative John Loredo. A ban on concealed
      weapons is neither necessary nor effective in getting "gangbangers" off
      the streets.

      If by "gangbanger", you mean a convicted felon or a juvenile, it does
      not matter if that person carries the weapon concealed or openly. That
      person is a prohibited posessor, and the police may confiscate any
      weapon that person carries and the courts impose more severe penalties than
      those for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. If that is not what
      you mean by "gangbanger", then apart from your mean-spirited use of guilt
      by association, that person would be able to obtain a concealed weapons
      permit under the current laws anyway.

      I have a concealed weapons permit even though I usually carry my pistol
      openly. I enjoyed the class, and I feel it my duty as a responsible
      citizen to develop my marksmanship skills, understanding of the law,
      and understanding of judgmental shooting. I would recommend that class
      to any citizen who owns a weapon, even if he or she never takes it out
      of the house. Nonetheless I recognize that there are times when a person
      who may not have had the time or inclination to take the class has the
      need to carry concealed. A person who has never felt the need to carry
      weapons may suddenly receive threats or be in some kind of danger and be
      in an environment where the open carry of weapons is not accepted. Further
      people are sometimes forgetful and let their permits expire. This kind
      of negligence may merit a $50 fine, but it does not merit a $2500 fine
      and six months in jail. That is what this bill is all about--a petty
      penalty for something that is truly a petty offense.

      Sincerely,

      Kevin Walsh