a new negative feedback

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21 11:42 AM
      The following article appeared on page A17 of the saturday 21 December 2002
      edition of the Arizona Republic and is credited merely to "wire services".
      I have not hitherto heard of the possibility either by the proponents of
      the "greenhouse warming" theory (e.g. IPCC) or by its critics (e.g. Dr. Idso
      and Dr. Balling) that warmer winters in the major landmasses of the
      Northern Hemisphere would result in decreased burning of fuels for heating
      and therefore decreased atmospheric carbon dioxide, thus mitigating the
      prior effect of increased carbon dioxide. Another possibility I have
      heard on occasion, but which is not mentioned often in the scientific
      community, is that according to the Milankovitch orbital mechanisms, the
      next ice age should begin sometime between now and the year 4000. If ice
      ages are indeed dictated by the orbital mechanisms, that would indeed be
      a major negative feedback to "greenhouse warming".

      --Kevin

      GREENHOUSE GASES FELL 1.2% IN '01, REPORT SAYS

      Washington--U.S. emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases
      decreased 1.2 percent last year, the largest annual decline in more than a
      decade, according to a government report.

      Experts said the decline had nothing to do with government policy changes
      but instead was the result of an economic slowdown and an unusually warm
      winter that sharply reduced demand for fossil fuels. Many scientists blame
      the burning of such fuels for the Earth's warming.

      "This is just one year's worth of data, and our projections don't indicate
      the beginning of a new trend," said John Cogan, a spokesman for the Energy
      Department.